Connecting flight out of Philadelphia Help

Scot born

I am on the MSC in May and I am flying from Edinburgh Scotland to Philadelphia my connecting flight to Miami is 1 hour 55 min my question  is this possible? Between the changes that MSC have made and the connecting flight times i am getting stressed and I have still got 6 months to go. :classic_blink:

25 minutes ago, Scot born said:

I am on the MSC in May and I am flying from Edinburgh Scotland to Philadelphia my connecting flight to Miami is 1 hour 55 min my question  is this possible? Between the changes that MSC have made and the connecting flight times i am getting stressed and I have still got 6 months to go. :classic_blink:

Should be an hour more than that.

Do you have flight details yet?

7 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Should be an hour more than that.

Do you have flight details yet?

Hi Ziggyuk

Yes I do have I have pasted them below any help is much appreciated thanks

Flight Depart Arrive Travel time Aircraft Class Seats
aa-logo-24x24.gif 279 American Airlines
10:45
EDI
13:40
PHL
7h 55m 757 Economy
  •  

Stop: Philadelphia (PHL)
aa-logo-24x24.gif 2571 American Airlines
15:35
PHL
18:39
MIA
3h 4m 763 Economy

Hi Ziggyuk

I don't think I have worded this correctly, it doesn't matter what time I arrive in Miami as I have booked a hotel for an over night and cruise the next day, what is worrying me is I need to get off the Edinburgh flight go through customs/ security in Philadelphia and get to the connecting flight in such a short time. Which is the 1 hour 55 min. Thanks 

Hi,

We had a connecting flight in Philadelphia when flying from Paris to Las Vegas last year and 1h55 min should be plenty of time.

It probably took us about 30 minutes to get off the plane, getting our bags, going through transit customs and checking our bags for connecting flight. We even had time for a drink before boarding our second flight.

I understand now sorry.

I can't imagine 2 hours would be a problem, you are with the same airline on both legs so I'm guessing your luggage will be checked through. Even if your outbound flight is delayed because you are on the same airline all the way it is their responsibility to get you to Miami, I would only worry if I had independently booked flights

I don't know Philly well enough to comment on the connection process, any change of terminal etc.

Hopefully someone who knows the airport better will comment,

So you have left less than 2 hours between landing and departure🙈

landing is wheels down, not getting off the plane. Departure is doors closing, AA close doors 20 minutes before departure. 

I go through Philly quite a bit from the UK and domestic. Although it’s an easy airport to navigate (you can walk to all the terminals except F) you might make your flight but It’s a good chance  that your  bags won’t. I have experienced 3 times my bags being delayed when coming from PHL on flights that were less than 2 hours apart. 

And what if you have a delay in EDI ?

Edited by stoneman56

Hi Stoneman 56

7 hours ago, stoneman56 said:

So you have left less than 2 hours between landing and departure🙈

landing is wheels down, not getting off the plane. Departure is doors closing, AA close doors 20 minutes before departure. 

I go through Philly quite a bit from the UK and domestic. Although it’s an easy airport to navigate (you can walk to all the terminals except F) you might make your flight but It’s a good chance  that your  bags won’t. I have experienced 3 times my bags being delayed when coming from PHL on flights that were less than 2 hours apart. 

And what if you have a delay in EDI ?

Thanks now I am fretting again oh well now I know I will need to take a larger carry on with me. Not only all the things I need for the flight but enough clothes for a few days. This is going to be an adventure with stress.

We assume your cruise is not until the following day (at least) so you should be fine.  Making that connection will be difficult because of possible delays getting through our immigration lines.  But the good news is that if you would miss the flight AA would simply put you on the next flight (assuming there are seats) which leaves PHL at 5:50 pm.  And there is even a later flight at 7:35 pm although that does involve a connection in Charlotte.  In your situation if it is possible to get MSC to change your connecting flight to the 5:50pm plane, that would certainly cause you less stress.  

I will also mention that AA has a reputation for changing flight times so you are likely to find that the PHL to MIA times will change at least once (possibly more) before your big day.  Changing flight times on domestic flights is, unfortunately, all too normal in the USA.

Hank

8 hours ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

you should be fine and I don't think you will have to go through customs again . 

They will clear customs/immigration upon arrival in Philadelphia.    The problem is that they will have to wait for their luggage at PHL, and then take it through Customs (who will not look at anything) and then recheck it for the flight to MIA.  That all takes time.  Since they have come from outside the USA, they will have to then pass through a TSA security check before walking to their gate for the MIA flight.  Sometimes this can all be done in about an hour, but other times the lines cause delays.

Hank

I am sorry to the OP if I caused them alarm. AA would simply put you on the next available flight. I was more making the point that one should never make arrangements with short connection times. I have done so in the past and been burnt, so now I make no arrangements with less than 4 hours in between unles I’m on the same ticket. 

Hi all 

it was the TA that arranged all flights hotel and cruise, I had already booked seats on all flights and when it was changed from Glasgow to Edinburgh what a carry on to get the refund from my Glasgow fight seats reservation I had to pay upfront for my selection on the Edinburgh flight and it took 2 weeks to be refunded for my original booking of seats on the Glasgow flight so to go back and ask for a different flight out of Philadelphia it would be more hassle than it's worth. I guess I  will have to rock with it as long as I know that it might be work out ok 🤞

On 11/23/2018 at 6:04 PM, Hlitner said:

They will clear customs/immigration upon arrival in Philadelphia.    The problem is that they will have to wait for their luggage at PHL, and then take it through Customs (who will not look at anything) and then recheck it for the flight to MIA.  That all takes time.  Since they have come from outside the USA, they will have to then pass through a TSA security check before walking to their gate for the MIA flight.  Sometimes this can all be done in about an hour, but other times the lines cause delays.

Hank

WHY? If its one ticket there is no customs and luggage will be transfer by airline. 

7 hours ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

WHY? If its one ticket there is no customs and luggage will be transfer by airline. 

That is not how it works in the USA.  The flight arrives at PHL which is its port of entry.  All passengers will have to clear immigration and customs at that airport.  Part of the procedure is that the passenger picks up their checked luggage, and then takes it through the Customs area...after which they can immediately turn it in (rechecked) so it is taken to their connecting flight.  For the passengers, they will then have to go through a normal TSA check point and get the normal screening of both themselves and their carry-on luggage.    All this is somewhat of a hassle (depending on the crowds) and always causes some delay.  That is why folks need to allow extra time when transferring from an International flight to domestic.

Hank