HALF MOON CAY CABANAS

RobertAndDennis

We have just returned from a nice 10-day cruise on the Koningsdam, with a stop at Half Moon Cay. I am writing this as a public service announcement to everyone who wonders about booking a cabana on that island. The booking process -- at least on the Holland America shore excursion web pages -- is not entirely self-explanatory. Specifically, you are required to book the cabana based on its “color designation,” but there really isn’t any one-stop place to research where each color is physically located. And it makes a difference if someone prefers to be near the food area, or prefers to be further away in a quieter section of the beach.

Some years ago, another Cruise Critic member posted a map of the cabanas with their own indications of which colors are where. This map is helpful, but there could still be confusion based on color descriptions. For instance, just looking at a color-coded map, it's hard to tell which cabana is “turquoise” and which is “sky blue.” Or “peach” versus “orange.” Combined with the difference in how different people perceive color, or see it on their devices’ screens, you see the problem.

Once we arrived at the island, I was happy to see this map laying it all out…but you can only see it once you are on the island. So…in hopes that this will be helpful to future travelers, here are the colors with their corresponding numerical locations.

1  TAUPE

2  BLUE

3  TURQUOISE

4  ORANGE

5  SKY BLUE

6  PURPLE

7  PEACH

8  PINK

9  EGGSHELL

10 GREEN

11 GRAY

12 YELLOW

13 TERRA COTTA

14 RED

15 VIOLET

IMG_4749.jpg

IMG_4750.jpg

• Like 1

Good info. This is also frequently discussed on the Private Islands board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/308-private-islands/

where there are many threads on HMC, which include maps, pictures, videos and many reviews. As Carnival and a couple of other cruise lines occasionally visit, they get the same info.

Thank-you for posting this helpful information. I checked the private islands board and found the information there very confusing as not everyone posting about HMC was actually sailing with HALand the cabana offerings were either numbered or in color.  I also found the color names confusing as well for the reasons mentioned.