valuables during excursions

crowleychick

Just wondering - what should we do with our valuables (credit card, cash, etc. we take with us) during our excursions such as snorkeling? Do you get one of those waterpfoof packs and carry it all with you all the time? Will definately need that stuff for SHOPPING!!!:D

thanks

We have two sizes of waterproof plastic boxes that hang on a cord around our necks. I know you will see them in just about every port gift shop, but I seem to recall they were sold on a ship too (just not sure they're sold on a Princess ship). The small one is thin and holds just a ship's card, credit card and a few bills. The larger one is thicker and holds more bills. They are waterproof, but if you scuba dive, you may find that they do leak at depth.

We bought our box in Hawaii. Had a breakaway connector on the cord which broke away in the surf. Lots of fun chasing down the car keys, credit card and room key.... You might want to glue the breakaway connector and/or wear the box under a T shirt.

Another option is that Speedo sells men's bathing suits (trunk-type) that have a zippered pocket. Inside the pocket is a plastic sealed pouch with two ziplock and a velcro seal. The pouch is attached to a loop inside the pocket, so there is no way to lose it.

I use a waterproof fanny pack I got years ago at REI. I can put my camera in it along with my cruise card, photo ID, and VISA credit card, which I then wrap with a few large and small bills and a rubber band (I don't take my wallet). Those are generally all the valuables I take ashore. Everything else I leave on the ship in the safe.

Never leave anything on the tour bus. You will sometimes find snorkeling rental places that will have lockers, but they make us nervous in some ports.

Minimize what you take, and keep in tucked in a carry bag. Have never had a problem on an excursion like a boat, etc. We have left ship card, camera, some cash, etc in our bag, just tuck it in and check when you get our of the water. If you are at a beach, and there are other non -excursion people around I would always leave someone around the bag. On the snorkel tours,etc, it should be secure on the water craft, cattamarran,etc.

Leave the jewels, hard cash, in the safe. Carry one credit card and some cash for shopping.

I

Hi we got our waterproof box (hangs on a cord around our neck) at the Princess Shop on board, it is blue, the larger size , I think it cost something like 4.95 , don't remember for sure. Just go early in the cruise so they don't sell out. Have a great cruise.

Cori

Hi we got our waterproof box (hangs on a cord around our neck) at the Princess Shop on board, it is blue, the larger size , I think it cost something like 4.95 , don't remember for sure. Just go early in the cruise so they don't sell out. Have a great cruise.

Cori

Be very careful with these. They break quite easily. Mine lasted one cruise before it broke. :eek: And it didn't actually keep things dry when snorkeling. (we had two of them so I don't think they were both defective)

Toto2...did your waterproof box include the rubber gasket inside? It is very important to have that rubber gasket, or else the box doesn't do anything. We've had one of our for 9 years with no trouble (except at over 40 feet of depth scuba diving), but perhaps the boxes sold at scuba shops are better quality than those sold on the ship.

I just bought my DH a pair of speedo swim trunks (not the little skimpy ones) at Costco for 12.99. No zipper but in the left front pocket attached by a cord is a waterproof plastic pouch. It should be fine. Did not even know it was there until reading this. TY

I've been using the medium size waterproof box (found at dive shop 13 years ago) that has a gasket and long cord. It holds a credit card, (2) ship cards, some bills, and I carry a copy our of passports.

As an added protection, I use a "snack size" zip-lock bag and put all my cards, bills, etc. in it and then fold the zip-lock bag so it fits into the waterproof box.

We do a lot of kayaking and snorkeling and I've never had any problems with my waterproof box.

All good ideas,

here's another I heard and have been using for the last 5 years.

When going to the beach, bring plastic zip lock bag, instead of trying to hide things like wallets in shoes (yeah right, they won't look there).

place valuables in zip lock bag.

dig a hole under your blankets or what ever to cover.

Bury bag with sand, smooth, place blanket over, works great!

(of course be discreet when digging hole).:cool:

Be very careful with these. They break quite easily. Mine lasted one cruise before it broke. :eek: And it didn't actually keep things dry when snorkeling. (we had two of them so I don't think they were both defective)

On our 1st Princess cruise we bought one in the gift shop on board. It does have a rubber gasket and has worked great everytime we have used it;)

Archived