Honeymoon

linhensley09

We celebrated our honeymoon in June on the Carnival Triumph.  The waitstaff brought us a cake with candles and sang "happy honeymooon" kissey...kissey in the MDR.  Our room steward drew on our mirrors with hearts and "happy honeymoon" and left us a photo coupon to use for a free 8X12 photo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We went on our Honeymoon in August. I entered that we were celebrating our Honeymoon when we booked. Nothing was given to us. I was kind of disappointed. Being platinum, they made sure to give us our gift, strawberries, and invite to the Diamond and Platinum party, but dropped the ball on this part. We traveled with a couple who technically weren't celebrating their honeymoon, but put it down anyway and they got a gift card and room decor.

You only get one Honeymoon and all the free stuff you can get always helps make it extra special.

I was a bit of a hater. 

12 minutes ago, 17andacruiseaddict said:

We went on our Honeymoon in August. I entered that we were celebrating our Honeymoon when we booked. Nothing was given to us. I was kind of disappointed. Being platinum, they made sure to give us our gift, strawberries, and invite to the Diamond and Platinum party, but dropped the ball on this part. We traveled with a couple who technically weren't celebrating their honeymoon, but put it down anyway and they got a gift card and room decor.

You only get one Honeymoon and all the free stuff you can get always helps make it extra special.

I was a bit of a hater. 

I hate to be a bit blunt, but if making your honeymoon extra special was important to you, unfortunately these days you can’t leave it up to the crew or to expect to get anything for free. The cruise lines have found a way to generate extra revenue by charging for things that once were freebies to honeymooners, people celebrating their birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Cakes, bottles of wine or champagne, cabin decoration, flowers, etc are still available, but they now have to be purchased. If someone else got some freebies, good for them but I wouldn’t expect a thing based on that. 

When we got married, we sailed on Royal and they decorated our cabin. When we sailed on Princess for our 10th anniversary, they decorated our door, gave us a honeymoon cake on our last night at the MDR, and we received an invitation for a special event. But almost every other time we’ve cruised for a special occasion, it has gone completely unacknowledged. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

Got married in 2004. Cruised on the Elation for Honeymoon. Clicked the notification asking for any special event when booking. Got zip. Did not care one little bit. Does not matter to me that strangers don't acknowledge my personal life events. 

Edited by dwayneb236

Since many, many people add in faux celebrations to get freebies, there is no mandated list that people get because they put something in that box.  It is up to your cabin stewards, wait teams, the Maitre and Hotel Directors on each ship as to what they gift.  For cruisers who have a history of being a cheapskate and withholding tips, they know who is naughty and who is nice, just saying...  

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 10:53 AM, Tapi said:

I hate to be a bit blunt, but if making your honeymoon extra special was important to you, unfortunately these days you can’t leave it up to the crew or to expect to get anything for free. The cruise lines have found a way to generate extra revenue by charging for things that once were freebies to honeymooners, people celebrating their birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Cakes, bottles of wine or champagne, cabin decoration, flowers, etc are still available, but they now have to be purchased. If someone else got some freebies, good for them but I wouldn’t expect a thing based on that. 

When we got married, we sailed on Royal and they decorated our cabin. When we sailed on Princess for our 10th anniversary, they decorated our door, gave us a honeymoon cake on our last night at the MDR, and we received an invitation for a special event. But almost every other time we’ve cruised for a special occasion, it has gone completely unacknowledged. 

No one asked you to be blunt. The lack of extras did not make or break my Honeymoon if that was your concern. I was just putting my experience out there. After 23 cruises, I've gotten the hang of how things work when it comes to cruising. But because a lot of people get freebies for things like Honeymoons, including yourself, yes, it is very possible for me to expect a little something extra. I was just a bit disappointed but I had a fabulous cruise.Thanks for taking time out to explain things though.

Edited by 17andacruiseaddict

Seems like it's just the luck of the draw. It definitely will not make or break our honeymoon.  I know we will have an amazing time either way. But since it is my fiance's 1st cruise and only my 2nd, I am hoping it will be extra special for us. 

• Like 1