Another Coffee Question

I understand that you can get plain coffee for free anywhere on the ship, but does RC offer a better quality plain coffee that is not free?  There is a lot of discussion about specialty coffee, but I am just interested in regular coffee choices. 

We are first timers to RC sailing on the Liberty in January.  My husband drinks regular coffee all day long.  The only other beverage he likes is coke.  He does not drink alcohol.

I have already paid for the refreshment package for him, but if he doesn’t need it for regular coffee,  then I will downgrade him to the coke package.  

‘’I’m not sure if the Liberty has a Starbucks kiosks, but that would be a good example.  Would he need the refreshment package for a cup of regular coffee there? 

there will be at least 2-3 places where you can buy specialty coffee, including an Americano.  .  the bar  right by the Windjammer tends to open at like 0600 or 0630.    it is also found on the Promenade Cafe(* where the  ice cream is..also for a fee but the pastries and other small snacks are free)  I don't remember if  the Pizza  joint has the coffee machines as well.  

yes you need the refreshment package for all coffee that is served outside of the Main dining room or Windjammer.  don't think LIB has Starbucks beans though.   might be Seattle's Best.  

56 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Other than getting an Americano where they serve specialty coffee, which is diluted espresso, there is no upgraded plain coffee.

However we have found that the free coffee offered at the cafe on the promenade deck is much better than what is served in the main dining room!!

11 minutes ago, mkam2821 said:

However we have found that the free coffee offered at the cafe on the promenade deck is much better than what is served in the main dining room!!

Subjective.  My wife feels the exact opposite.

I think the question the OP is after is how good the free coffee is.  I'm new to RC too, sailing Symphony Jan. 5th, but my assumption is that the free coffee is essentially Folgers, whereas the OP is looking for something more along the lines of the drip coffee you would get at a Starbucks (i.e. Pike Place or something similar).

On that note, to the OP, while there is a Starbucks on board, that is ALWAYS pay, even if you have the refreshment package.  To get the specialty coffees you have to go to the Promenade Cafe to use the package, and they use Seattle's Best.  To me there's no real difference between the two, but I know there are those Starbucks loyalists out there.

• Like 1

Just note that the specialty coffee at the Promenade Cafe is all espresso-based... they don't serve Seattle's Best drip coffee there, just the basic RCI coffee supplier on the other side of the Cafe at the self-serve station. 

As others said, if your ship does have a Starbucks, you can purchase their drip coffee which will be (in many peoples' opinion) much better than the complimentary coffee, but unfortunately Starbucks doesn't honor any drink package, and all purchases there are a la carte. 

• Like 1