Text Messaging

Jennifire7

Hello, I’m booked on the Nieuw Statendam in March 2019 and have never cruised on HAL.  Does this boat or any others have a messaging service so that we can communicate with the others in our group through an app or any other way?

We have sailed with RCL and they have something within their app to use to communicate with those on board without having to purchase an internet plan. 

As others above have said, the Navigator site is available. I think calling it an "App" is a little deceiving though since it is a web based site.

It does have a messaging feature, but there is no instant notification that you've received a message. The page must be refreshed in order to see if you have any messages.

It is better than nothing and works well for letting others know your plans for the day, but for instant messaging we didn't find it very useful.

• Like 1

If everyone has iOS devices, you can use iMessage. It runs over regular HTTP ports so it won't be blocked. You'll need a little tech savvy to be able to set it up - and you'll only be able to communicate between phones/devices on the ship. It will, however, give notifications.

DW & DBIL have run it on a number of private networks, LANs and intranets. I'm an Android guy, so I just keep track of people the old fashioned way: Pick a time and meet at a pre-designated bar. Works really well. Also, cocktails.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, POA1 said:

If everyone has iOS devices, you can use iMessage. It runs over regular HTTP ports so it won't be blocked. You'll need a little tech savvy to be able to set it up - and you'll only be able to communicate between phones/devices on the ship. It will, however, give notifications.

Thanks @POA1. Any insight on how to set up this functionality, please?

8 hours ago, Dogstar said:

Thanks @POA1. Any insight on how to set up this functionality, please?

1 hour ago, Jennifire7 said:

Does this work even if we don’t buy an internet package? @POA1

We are hoping to disconnect over this vacation and just would like to be able to arrange meeting spots with the rest of our family on the boat.

My brother in law and my wife already had each other in their phones' address books. Once they both connected to the ship's WiFi, they could message one another. Just make sure that the phones are listed as iPhone in the address book. It may work if they're just listed as Mobile, but I'd rather play it safe. Not only did iMessage work normally, but it even worked with my DBIL's Apple Watch. 

You can test it at home by putting the phone in airplane mode and then turning on WiFi. Both phones need to be on the same network and it should be pretty automatic. 

10 hours ago, POA1 said:

Once they both connected to the ship's WiFi, they could message one another.

You can test it at home by putting the phone in airplane mode and then turning on WiFi. Both phones need to be on the same network and it should be pretty automatic. 

Great, will give it a try & report back.  Thanks @POA1 . 

1 hour ago, Muushka said:

I'm not an 'apple' gal.  Does it work with android?

Not as far as I know. My wife and her brother could text, but I (on Android) could not I'm sure there's an Android solution that runs on ports 80 and, 443, but we've not tested them. 

On 11/29/2018 at 9:25 AM, POA1 said:

My brother in law and my wife already had each other in their phones' address books. Once they both connected to the ship's WiFi, they could message one another. Just make sure that the phones are listed as iPhone in the address book. It may work if they're just listed as Mobile, but I'd rather play it safe. Not only did iMessage work normally, but it even worked with my DBIL's Apple Watch. 

Thanks for all that very helpful info.  Very similar situation exists on RCI — iPhones can text each other via WiFi using the ship’s intranet, unless they’ve recently put an end to that. 

Brian, could you not use something like WhatsApp on your Android phones to text each other via WiFi?

For others perhaps not as familiar with all this, here’s a useful article about using iMessage abroad via WiFi, and also other good advice for traveling abroad with your phone. 

https://triphackr.com/how-to-use-your-iphone-for-free-abroad/

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 9:25 AM, POA1 said:

@POA1 THANK YOU!!!!  This is great

WhatsApp uses ports 80 & 443 (HTTP & HTTPS) which they can't really block because it would stop their intranet from working. However, WhatsApp uses a bunch of other ports that could easily be blocked. You can give it a try. If you really need to use cross platform messaging, there are a few options. However, I'd test them out before leaving home. 

For as much of a geek as I am, I've got some super sticky post it notes for our upcoming cruise. We rarely need them because we're pretty predictable. DW is in her cabana all day, so she acts as the location nexus. Her dad goes full on Sputnik and wanders around the ship all day, orbiting back every few hours. We have fixed, late dinner seating which means we know where everyone is going to be at 8.(Except specialty dining days.) 

• Like 1