Whoa...I would not want to be on a cruise leaving Miami today...

1corona4u

I just spoke to my sister who left Friday on a Bahamas cruise on the Sovereign. The canceled both Nassau on Saturday and Coco Cay on Sunday. She still had a great time but said a lot of people were pissed off. Why do people think RCCL or ANY cruise line can control the weather?

One thing to think about -

if the average wave size is say 30' , then every so often, a rouge wave will appear and be twice the size of the average waves. That can be interesting.

Generally boats and ships can take much more than the people in them can. So just take your meds and not to worry.

I don't know where 15-25 ft seas came from. The captain said they were 9-11 because we were protected being on the lee side of the islands.

That's what the graphic indicated at the time I posted it. It is a live pic, so it changes. Off shore, near the Bahamas, they were 15-25, and small parts of that were also on this side of the Bahamas.(15 ft.) I guess it depended on exactly where you were. I have the static image, and posted it last night, in another thread. I have always found that site to be pretty acurate. If you were running close to shore, then I'm sure they were less. Here is is;

52531853-L.gif

What is the website that shows the height of the waves?

My boss's wife left out of Miami last night on her first cruise ever and I spoke with him this morning ( he didn't go on the cruise with her) and told him about those waves.....:eek:

We ( Enchantment of the Seas) hit 20+ foot waves late Saturday night and into the early morning hours Sunday. No big deal to me but to fellow passengers they were being tossed around especially forward of the ship. Positive note, not too many people in the midnight buffet line.

And here are more of my favs. You can choose a date, and see at satellite image from that date in time. It has some dates missing, but for the most part, most are there. I use this when considering when the weather would LIKELY be good. But, as we all the weather has really been changing in the past few years.

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/GOESBrowser/goesbrowser

And this one, which shows all of the past hurricanes, and when/where they hit. This takes some practice to get right though;

http://hurricane.csc.noaa.gov/hurricanes/index.html

(click on the link in the middle of the page; "query storm tracks".)

And this one, which shows all storms, all years;

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/hurrarchive.asp

Archived