Barbados to Mayreau

PAULINELESLEY

Rome2Rio.com is a great site for sorting these things out.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Barbados/Mayreau

it appears there are 5 flights a day.  

Following the saga of previous threads (first the “Will Seabourn arrange a transfer” and then “missing the ship”) it appears you have received a wealth of great advice on how to avoid this but you will at least be prepared if the worst happens.  You will then only have to hope that there are no weather or tidal conditions that affect that next port.

Also keep in mind that Mayreau is:

a) Typically a tender port 

b) Often the site for marina day/private beach activities

As such, Seabourn may not have easy capacity to receive you (and your baggage) as a late arriving guest.  As you make your preparations, I’d also plan for figuring out how exactly to meet the ship when there is no port/terminal.

Or you could still change your flight as many have sagely advised.  It sounds like a great way to avoid a lot of potential stress and worry at the beginning of a holiday.

What is the exact date you are travelling to Barbados to embark the ship and what date does the ship arrive in Mayreau?

I looked at the ferry schedule when you posted your previous thread and it seemed as if the ferries do not operate every day of the week. 

what is the next port after Mayreau?

Edited by Isklaar

Having visited Mayreau with Seabourn earlier this year for the beach barbecue I would definitely not risk missing the ship in Barbados. Our tendering was at risk for a couple of hours because of a choppy sea. What happens if the ship misses out Mayreau? 

Also, if your flight is cancelled due to bad weather in the UK (this did happen this year) what happens then? Please think again and try to chamge your flight out to at least the day before.

Can I do a David Cameron and say calm down dear?  I think there is a very small chance you will miss the ship at Bridgetown. Earlier this year I flew London-Santiago, Chile, to catch the ship and had no issues, and that was on a Seabourn flight package.  I'm sure there are several Seabourn passengers flying out to Barbados that day, including those with Seabourn air packages.  It's a direct non-stop flight on a premium airline with minimal risk of major delays.

However, if the worst comes to the worst, I have been to Mayreau with Seabourn and I have doubts you would make it by conventional means as there isn't an airstrip.  It would be a helicopter charter in my view or possibly a speedboat charter from Union Island or Canouan in the Grenadines.  

By far the best thing would be to skip Mayreau altogether and fly to Roseau, Dominica, and pick the ship up there.  Mayreau is just an average Caribbean beach with a BBQ.  When we went there it took the team half a morning to set up the BBQ which meant that passengers didn't get ashore until about midday.  When we got there the BBQ was pretty spectacular - either a gloriously fun way to spend an afternoon or a disgusting symbol of western decadence, as you can see - 

IMG_2918_tonemapped 2.jpg

Edited by Fletcher