Crowded? What to do?

stanrock22

We will be in Cozumel in Feb. We were looking into Playa Mia and MR. Sanchos. We have 2 families with kids. 6 Ships in port that day. Love the water blow up parks. Which would be less crowded and is the water warm enough to play in? Thanks

• 1 month later...

I will also be there in February but on a very high load day with 8 ships and port load of 29,200. Definitely above average.

Mr Sanchos and Nachi Cocom are already booked to capacity. 

So now I'm weighing whether to bother getting off the ship or not.  We are a family of four with kids 10 & 12.  

Specific questions:

- Is it feasible to go to Paradise Beach w/o pre-booking?  I don't see a way to book directly on their web site.  Do they get full enough to turn people away?   Even if it's possible to get in, I'm worried about the experience there on such a crowded day. 

- I see references to a small beach area w/ free lounges at Playa Maya terminal itself but I can't find much information or pictures.  Is that a place one could hang out for a bit and get into the water?  Or is it more like just a sandy area for people to wait around while others in their party go shopping?

- Also considering Catamaran where you can snorkel near Paradise Beach / Chankanab. But I'm guessing you end up in the same churned up water where all the hordes are.  Plus you are locked in ahead of time regardless of weather.

- Playa Mia seems like it could be an option up until last minute. Tomorrow there is a similar port load and their web site lets me try to book it at least until I get to the enter-credit-card step.  But still worried how enjoyable it would be on such a crowded day.

Thoughts or other suggestions for things to do?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, OCruisers said:

Havng 6 or 8  ships is normal .... 

If where you wish to go is booked, consider the excursion with the ship to Passion Island.  :classic_wink:

8 ships is not unusual but port load of 29000 people is about as high as it gets.  I'll check out your tip, thank you.

PB is large and I've never heard of them turning away guests and have always been able to find loungers/shade.  Nice beach, HUGE pool, great facilities plus good food/drinks/service (the nachos are great!).  I would not let the crowds keep me on the ship if I wanted to explore/enjoy the island.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 5:23 PM, mdchachi said:

I will also be there in February but on a very high load day with 8 ships and port load of 29,200. Definitely above average.

Mr Sanchos and Nachi Cocom are already booked to capacity. 

So now I'm weighing whether to bother getting off the ship or not.  We are a family of four with kids 10 & 12.  

Specific questions:

- Is it feasible to go to Paradise Beach w/o pre-booking?  I don't see a way to book directly on their web site.  Do they get full enough to turn people away?   Even if it's possible to get in, I'm worried about the experience there on such a crowded day. 

- I see references to a small beach area w/ free lounges at Playa Maya terminal itself but I can't find much information or pictures.  Is that a place one could hang out for a bit and get into the water?  Or is it more like just a sandy area for people to wait around while others in their party go shopping?

- Also considering Catamaran where you can snorkel near Paradise Beach / Chankanab. But I'm guessing you end up in the same churned up water where all the hordes are.  Plus you are locked in ahead of time regardless of weather.

- Playa Mia seems like it could be an option up until last minute. Tomorrow there is a similar port load and their web site lets me try to book it at least until I get to the enter-credit-card step.  But still worried how enjoyable it would be on such a crowded day.

Thoughts or other suggestions for things to do?

Thank you.

We must going on the same day as you.  Mr. Sanchos is sold out.  We have been to PB a number of times and always enjoy it.  My worry this time is that the load is heavier and MrS sold out early - so PB will also be picking up more of those passengers.  For us, we are five people, we will need two cabs or a van there and back - so $60 in transportation alone - and possibly not getting in or possibly a very, very crowded scenario.  We have also done the cooking class with Josefina and don't want to that again.  Not sure what to do.

2 hours ago, CM2J2R2S said:

We must going on the same day as you.  Mr. Sanchos is sold out.  We have been to PB a number of times and always enjoy it.  My worry this time is that the load is heavier and MrS sold out early - so PB will also be picking up more of those passengers.  For us, we are five people, we will need two cabs or a van there and back - so $60 in transportation alone - and possibly not getting in or possibly a very, very crowded scenario.  We have also done the cooking class with Josefina and don't want to that again.  Not sure what to do.

Probably main thing to do is not dally and get off the ship as soon as you can to get where you want to go.  If weather looks good, my current plan is either PB or El Cid.  Passion Island mentioned above also looks interesting and I'm still considering it.

Money Bar is usually not crowded because there is no pool or real beac, but good snorkeling from the shore plus good facilities and lots of lounges and share might make it a good option. Closer and cheaper taxi ride.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:10 PM, mdchachi said:

Thank you.  How about El Cid Ceiba Resort? Do they ever get to capacity? Do they sell passes in advance or is it first-come first-served?

I've bought day passes for them before from Shore Excursioneer. I also think they are listed in Resort For a Day. Wasn't near to capacity when we went, but I'm sure they have some kind of limit. Easy walk from the Southern piers.

Edited by Ralphinsc
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 10:53 PM, mdchachi said:

Probably main thing to do is not dally and get off the ship as soon as you can to get where you want to go.  If weather looks good, my current plan is either PB or El Cid.  Passion Island mentioned above also looks interesting and I'm still considering it.

I think we are also in Cozumel that day!

i have always bought El Cid passes directly in the lobby, so you can decide on the day but it has been a few years since we have done that. We go there if just for a few hours, prefer Park Royal if going AI, more and better facilities IMO but port hours factors into going there.

• Like 2