Tip question, never cruised RCCL before

REGINA

We have always sailed Carnival. On Carnival for the past few years all the tips are put on you Sail & Sign Card (don't know what it is called on RCC).

You then have the option to have them totally removed from your bill at any time during the cruise and receive the customary envelopes.

We prefer it this way because you have the option to give what you want.

We just like to show our appreciation (with cash envelopes) instead of leaving in the Cruise Line's hands to give them what they have earned from the passengers.

r

Actually when tips are charged to your SeaPass account, you still hand them out personally. Envelopes are delivered to your stateroom in the morning and that afternoon the vouchers are delivered. You insert them in the appropriate envelopes and are certainly free to add more cash if you choose.

I agree that I would not want to lose the opportunity to say thank you in person at the same time that we hand over an envelope also expressing our gratitude - but this is the best of both worlds - we have the envelope, making it easy to add to the suggested amount, but we also have the great convenience of not having had to work out and carry ALL the necessary bills before.

I'm sure it's better for the recipients as well, as their earnings are easier to both save and secure in this cashless system.

I put the gratuities for three of the other six staterooms in our family group on our own SeaPass and (in addition to it being a nice way to "treat" them without handing them cash) they were each still able to have the personal opportunity to say thank you, shake hands and present their own envelope.The envelopes were delivered in the morning to each stateroom and the correct vouchers were brought to each in the afternoon delivery. All of this was accomplished so much more easily and graciously than had we tried to achieve the same ends with cash. I am STILL grateful, just recalling it - it is a WIN WIN WIN way to do it

Under the Carnival system as it is described by the OP, you have to go through the hassle (and possible embarrassment) of requesting that the tips be removed from your account if you wish to tip in cash, while under RCI's system, you can request that RCI add the tips to your account and you will receive envelopes and vouchers to hand out, or you can do nothing and on the final evening you can tip in cash. You retain total control of how to handle the situation. With the vouchers you are also free to add cash to those whose service went above and beyond the norm.:)

Could someone please explain: how exactly does the pre-paid "pre-tipping" work?

Are there still extra miscellaneous tips that should be expected, even though I paid for pre-tipping as part of my cruise package?

Sailing on the Brilliance in April.

Thanks.

Are there still extra miscellaneous tips that should be expected, even though I paid for pre-tipping as part of my cruise package?

That's totally up to you. A 15% tip will automatically be added when you order drinks on the ship, but other than that, any additional cash tipping is your personal choice.

Tracy

I guess I should rephrase the question.

The following tipping guidelines are from the RCI website:

10. Tipping - So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant:$5.75 USDa day per guest

Stateroom attendant:$3.50 USDa day per guest

Dining Room Waiter:$3.50 USDa day per guest

Assistant Waiter:$2.00 USDa day per guest

Headwaiter:$.75 USDa day per guest

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion.

A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise.

Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifPre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifAdded to your onboard SeaPass account.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifPaid in cash at the end of the cruise

So if I elect to have my tips "pre paid" by having them added to my reservation by my booking agent, does this mean all of the suggested tips listed in the gratuity guidlines are covered?

According to these gratuity guidlines, if three of us are taking a 10 day cruise, then the expected tips would amount to $465.00.

Would this then be the amount that is included in the "pre-tipping" price, and does this amount sound reasonable?

Obviously, we will need to figure on tipping baggage handlers, shuttle drivers, etc., but are there any other ship personnel not included on the RCI gratuity guidlines list who are "pre-tipped" who we may need to tip as well?

So if I elect to have my tips "pre paid" by having them added to my reservation by my booking agent, does this mean all of the suggested tips listed in the gratuity guidlines are covered?

Yes.

According to these gratuity guidlines, if three of us are taking a 10 day cruise, then the expected tips would amount to $465.00.

Would this then be the amount that is included in the "pre-tipping" price, and does this amount sound reasonable?

When you are adding this up, be sure to pick only *one* of the cabin-attendant rates...either suite or regular room rate. They will charge you their "recommended" amounts and that's it.

are there any other ship personnel not included on the RCI gratuity guidlines list who are "pre-tipped" who we may need to tip as well?

Your call. You can tip the people who clear your table or bring you drinks in the windjammer, you can tip bartenders, there are a bazillion people you *could* tip, but you don't have to.

Tracy

When you are adding this up, be sure to pick only *one* of the cabin-attendant rates...either suite or regular room rate. They will charge you their "recommended" amounts and that's it.

Thanks Tracy.

Those tipping rates were the only ones I saw listed on the RCI website, I am assuming they are based on a regular room rate (which is what we'll be staying in).

I came up with the $465 figure by taking the sum of those listed suggested daily tips, multiplied by 3 persons, then multiplied by 10 days.

Please take a look at the Cruise Tip Calculator. Whether you elect to "pre-pay" or not, it will tell you exactly how much your recommended tips will be. The number you listed (465) is incorrect, as was mentioned, you only pick one suite attendant. Junior Suites count as standard, not as a Suite for tipping.

Don't stress over other tipping opportunities. Once you are on the ship, the recommended tips are sufficient, and anything else you decide to do will be a welcome but unexpected bonus.

Theron

Please take a look at the Cruise Tip Calculator. Whether you elect to "pre-pay" or not, it will tell you exactly how much your recommended tips will be. The number you listed (465) is incorrect, as was mentioned, you only pick one suite attendant. Junior Suites count as standard, not as a Suite for tipping.

Ahhhh.....I see it all so clearly now......my bad. :o

Thanks all, for pointing out the obvious.:D

I would rather leave cash each day for the stateroom attendant, is that OK?

The "standard procedure" is to tip once, at the end of your cruise, for the full amount.

Sometimes if a passenger asks the steward to do or get something extraordinary, he may give him/her something right then and there as a "thank you." Other than that, just tip at the end.

Archived