Hong Kong after 21 day Asia Cruise?

psynurse

Will be ending Princess 21 day cruise in Singapore. Opinions on to fly to Hong Kong for 3 nights, or continue home back to NJ? Not sure if will be exhausted since return home over 18 hours, or if sites would be so different from rest of SEAsia? Anyone do this previously? or Opinions needed. thanks,

We had 3 days in HK after a 28-day cruise which ended there.

Well worth it.

In fact, worth longer.

HK is unique in many ways.

An eclectic mix of old and new, of rich and poor, of tiger economy and traditional skills, of colonial past and Chinese present, of humble everyday shops and international malls, of east meets west.

British history is clear in some of the sights, in the street names, and in the bi-lingual language of almost-all professional people.

It's Asia in the raw, like Singapore without the antiseptic tidiness.

We'd be happy to spend all day on the Star ferries plying across the harbour, or on the rickety old trams running from Western Market to Suzie Wong's Wan Chai and beyond.

The crafts and antiques amongst the bric-a-brac of Stanley Market (by bus, on the island), the everyday stuff amongst the bric-a-brac of Temple Street market (on the mainland, off Nathan Road). Fancy international restaurants and tourist restaurants and traditional Chinese restaurants and street restaurants. My other half still reminds me of the evening I took her to a dinner on Temple Street (and I do mean on-the-street) sat on orange boxes, a barrel for a table, and a  tarpaulin roof. I really know how to treat a lady. The food was actually quite good. 

The rack-railway up to the top of The Peak. Lantau Island,  the New Territories ferry to Macau, lots more

And you can take a day-trip tour across the Chinese border to Guangzhou (Canton). No need for a complicated and expensive visa, you're included on a group visa. Beijing or Shanghai it ain't, but it's an easy and inexpensive opportunity to see "red" China if you've not been & don't expect to have another opportunity. 

Our favourite place in SE Asia, ahead of Bangkok.

JB :classic_smile:

Hong Kong is a fascinating city, well worth a few days' visit.  We have done several Asia cruises and land tours and have never been too exhausted to enjoy Hong Kong.  This year we are adding four days in Cambodia when we disembark in Hong Kong, so we can visit Angkor Wat. We will have three days in Hong Kong before flying home.  When flights are so long and expensive, we think it is worth doing as much as possible during the trip.  We are in our mid seventies and realize that our opportunities for long distance travel may be limited, but our bucket list is not getting any shorter!

Sheila