Getting to Port Liberty

jaycruises

Other than driving, is there anyway using Amtrak from Baltimore/DC area to reach the port?

For example training to Newark, NJ and getting a cab or Uber to the port.  Isn't Newark a high crime area?

Thanks

Going on the Anthem of the Seas March 3rd.

Jay

17 minutes ago, jaycruises said:

Other than driving, is there anyway using Amtrak from Baltimore/DC area to reach the port?

For example training to Newark, NJ and getting a cab or Uber to the port.  Isn't Newark a high crime area?

Thanks

Jay

If the train is your option, no problem taking it to Newark and cab or Uber to the port.  I'm thinking the only high crime in the vicinity of the train station in Newark would be some pickpockets.  I took the train to Newark a few years ago for a meeting within a couple blocks of the train station, and I didn't feel threatened at all.

31 minutes ago, jaycruises said:

Thanks

Jay

No problem with crime as Penn Station is safe & secure and you're not going to the inner parts of the city.   It's a hub for commuters to NYC and surrounding areas.  As an ex-commuter, I've used the station as a transfer via Path to downtown NYC for some 35 years. Plenty of taxi's available at Newark Penn station.  Have used the rails to get to Cape Liberty when weather has been poor.  If taking a taxi, make sure that you ask if flat rates are available.

Ps.  The Ironbound area which is near the station has some fantastic Spanish & Portuguese restaurants.:classic_biggrin:

Edited by nelblu

28 minutes ago, jaycruises said:

Thanks

Jay

FWIW, I have taken the train into the Newark train station many times and while the inner city has it's problems the area surrounding the Penn Station is fine. While I do not know the price of a UBER or Taxi to Port Liberty it should not be too pricey. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Mike A

We always take the train to Newark for cruises out of CL.  We do stay overnight at the Hilton right there across the street from the train station. That part of Newark is safe.  We walk to dinner every trip and have had zero issues.   Also, we get the Hilton to order us a car service.  There are car services in Newark that will pick you up and take you to the port as well as taxis, Ubers, etc.  We prefer the car service and I'm sure if you walk across to the Hilton and ask them to call you a car service they will.  Or you can arrange one to pick you up at the train station too if you prefer.   The East Coast forum has a lot of info too.  There's one entire thread about Bayonne/CL.

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

In Newark you can actually switch from Amtrak to NJ transit.  Take NJ transit train to Hoboken then switch to Bergen / Hudson light rail.  Leaves you off just outside the pier.  After that it's a very, very, very, long walk down pier to ship.  Better to uber.

Oh, no, don't do that.  :classic_rolleyes:  We drove there last October.  Have cruised out of there many times, including the new terminal.  Coming up the NJ TPY getting off at Exit 14A, with all the construction and deviations, I even got lost going to the port with my 2015 programmed GPS.   Take a taxi or Uber.