Disney Magic -- what is new since 2010?

JeniferO

Hello! I am sailing on the Magic for the second time (last time was 2010) and I believe the ship has gone through 1 or 2 dry docks. Wondering what has changed over the last 9 years for anyone who has been on it then and now! Thanks! Jen

4 hours ago, JeniferO said:

Hello! I am sailing on the Magic for the second time (last time was 2010) and I believe the ship has gone through 1 or 2 dry docks. Wondering what has changed over the last 9 years for anyone who has been on it then and now! Thanks! Jen

Really, a lot of changes - including a major dry dock where the whole decor was changed out.  They took out one of the staircases in the atrium and got rid of the Chihully chandelier.  Added Aqua Dunk.  

New Palo menus (brunch and dinner).  

Different themeing in the adult lounges.

I can't recall, but I believe 2010 would be before DCL instituted the Port Arrival Time system for check in.

There is a blog on the internet regarding all things DCL, maybe you could google that to see what things have been going on.

2 hours ago, JeniferO said:

Thank you, I will do that. What is the Port Arrival Time system? (I'll google that too lol)

When you do your online check in, you'll be prompted to select a Port Arrival Time.  This was instituted in order to even out the crowds on embarkation day after the introduction of the newer/larger Dream class ships.  

• Like 1

Since 2010?  A whole lot is new.  The Rapunzel themed restaurant (was Parrot Cay and then Carioca's)  The re-imagination dry doc ruined the atrium, changed the whole night club area decor and theming, major changed in the kid areas, added Aqua Dunk, changed to Cabana's (buffet, but with stations rather than getting in a long line regardless of what you want).  I believe that eating in Cabana's at dinner as an option is new since 2010. The queen beds are now a fixed queen that will not divide.  New policies in the kid areas.  As noted, new boarding policies with the Port Arrival Time system if you are not using Disney transportation to port.  Check in at the Welcome Center has been thru many permutations; it is now back to all check ins are at Port Canaveral; at the Welcome Center you only get on the bus to the port.  Most of the shows are either new or have been thru an upgrade process--huge tech overhaul of "Disney Dreams," for example.  You may not notice some of the changes in the shows, but they are there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JeniferO said:

thank you for all of this info. It will be like a brand-new ship to me!

We selected 11:30 for the port arrival time (It was the earliest option) Curious -- do people on Disney transport get in earlier?

From the airport, yes.  Those buses tend to arrive around 10:15ish.

From the resorts, no.  Those buses start arriving around 12:00.