Internet on britania

Barnos

Hi, can anyone tell me anything about the Internet availability on board Britannia ?We are going to the Caribbean in January.

Fo example is the Wi-Fi available in your room and all over the ship? And does anyone have any recommendations about which is the best package to go for. If you buy a package can you connect more than one device ?

I’ve read that it’s cheaper if you buy it before you get on board?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks 

I buy an internet package for every cruise and yes it is cheaper to buy before you cruise, using the freephone numbers given at the start of these boards. Th only problem (and Ive complained to P&O about this) is that they charge you again for it on the ship then  give you a refund - weird! I pay £10 a day for which I can use it 24 / 7 to do everything I want to except streaming. I had no problems accessing it everywhere on Britannia and in fact the only ship I've had problems on has been Aurora.

People will say it's your holiday, why do you need it, leave your computer behind but it's a personal choice. People who don't use the internet tell you to follow the crew but it's the worst thing you can do because they're all video-calling family and there's no bandwidth left for us mere mortals.  I don't spend money in the shops but I love having access to my iPad before I arrive in each port and plan my day. I also do a blog and tweet and keep in touch with elderly relatives. I can do this on sea days instead of wasting precious time in port

Hi we had the Internet package this Feb around Caribbean on Britannia since the 35 pounds for 100 mins package is no longer available the last couple of years we used the wifi in ports which is ok but if you want FaceTime/skype it's not ideal, we had quite a bit of OBC so opted for package it was a lot better then previous years when signal in cabin was very hit and miss, I used it on deck 19 catching up with home as daughter was getting married June time so lots of planning etc the signal was excellent there and cabin, we shared btw two devices and once one logs in it gives a msg that a device is in use if a member of your party is on line so you can then switch, we had it for ten days approx out of the 15 it was 80 pounds unlimited could Email FaceTime Facebook instragram 

Mrs Blue Sky

Hi,

I recently returned from the Caribbean on Brittania. I didn't pay for the onboard internet package due to the cost. Every port had free wifi; and the sight of everyone checking their phones once ashore was indicative of similar.

It was my first Cruise, travelled solo met so many people and was blown away with the experience! Definitely doing it again....

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I’m one of those people who need to be connected 24 seven 365 days a year, I appreciate it’s a choice but believe that these days, being connected is (or should be) everybody is divine right 🙂 and the cruise companies should recognise that.

I have no problem paying for it but the one device limit would appear to be a bit rubbish! I’m going to make the call to P&O and I will see if I can get an any leeway on that rule..

Big thanks again to all 🙂 

1 hour ago, Barnos said:

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I’m one of those people who need to be connected 24 seven 365 days a year, I appreciate it’s a choice but believe that these days, being connected is (or should be) everybody is divine right 🙂 and the cruise companies should recognise that.

I have no problem paying for it but the one device limit would appear to be a bit rubbish! I’m going to make the call to P&O and I will see if I can get an any leeway on that rule..

Big thanks again to all 🙂 

The limit is one device at a time, you can use it for a number of devices but not simultaneously, for that you would need to pay for another wi fi service.

On 12/21/2018 at 8:48 AM, terrierjohn said:

The limit is one device at a time, you can use it for a number of devices but not simultaneously, for that you would need to pay for another wi fi service.

Not true. There’s ways around that.😉

I was recently on an Arcadia cruise where our port was cancelled and I needed to get in contact with home. I paid about £7.70 for the 24 hrs connect package that I could use for messaging only on the likes of What's app or Instagram. It worked perfectly around the ship. 

I used a TP-Link TL-WR802N Wireless N Nano Router in the cabin on Azura last year. I am no computer technician but we were able to Login to the ship's wi-fi on one device then use the portable router as a hot spot to connect to the internet on other devices. It worked well.

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

I used a TP-Link TL-WR802N Wireless N Nano Router in the cabin on Azura last year. I am no computer technician but we were able to Login to the ship's wi-fi on one device then use the portable router as a hot spot to connect to the internet on other devices. It worked well.

😉

• 7 months later...
On 12/27/2018 at 4:00 PM, DamianG said:

I guess a smartphones hotspot facility would work in a similar manner?

On 8/26/2019 at 12:29 PM, pr0t said:

I guess a smartphones hotspot facility would work in a similar manner?

I've not tried that but theoretically I suppose that it would. The advantage of the router is that it does boost the signal strength in the cabin which helps as the speed is generally very slow.

• Like 1