Greek Island Cruise July 2019

cojomo

Hi,

We are looking forward to our first cruise on Seabourn which will be the Greek Islands in July 2019. Has anyone got recommendations in terms of taking up any of the organised excursions? My wife and I are pretty fit and active and happy to do our own thing but at the same time don't want to miss out on any highlights.

On 12/16/2018 at 12:39 PM, cojomo said:

Hi,

We are looking forward to our first cruise on Seabourn which will be the Greek Islands in July 2019. Has anyone got recommendations in terms of taking up any of the organised excursions? My wife and I are pretty fit and active and happy to do our own thing but at the same time don't want to miss out on any highlights.

Hi Cojomo, if you are going on the 14 night night Greek Islands Odyssey in July, you will have a great time. We did a similar itinerary on the Odyssey last September (a few of the smaller islands have changed) and it was superb. It’s very port intensive so I would recommend pacing yourself with excursions as most of the destinations have plenty to see just walking from the port or tender. In fact, that’s a big reason we chose this itinerary. 

A lot depends on whether you have visited the Greek Islands before and how interested you are in archeological remains and the history of the region versus swimming, shopping, hiking and enjoying marvellous lunches in tavernas. Also whether you’re willing to pay a lot for tours you can research and arrange yourselves much more cheaply, without being slowed down (inevitably) by a tour group.  

From a personal point of of view I would say it’s worth taking the tour and hour-long trip to Knossos from Ag. Nic. in Crete as it is a long way away to go yourself and the site really merits a guide.

Delos (the neighbouring island to Mykonos which is preserved as an archeological site) is magnificent and really worth a trip once if you haven’t done it (but note there is no shade whatsoever and you should make sure you have time to wander round Mykonos town).

As for Santorini, try to find out how many cruise lines are arriving that day and make a choice based on that. We’ve been before and didn’t get off this time as there were 5 large ships in the caldera and from all reports Thira was uncomfortably rammed and the cable car back down to the port had 1 hour queues. These seem to be unavoidable even if you go on a tour. If you haven’t been before, it’s worth taking a tour to Oia for the views. It can be reached in principle by bus or taxi, but Santorini is so crowded it’s not worth risking IMHO. 

The towns in Rhodes and Kos where the ship docks (or tenders) have lots of historic treasures you can easily reach by foot, but we found having the organised tour in Rhodes gave us a lot of insights we wouldn’t have gained on our own.

Now Malta. There’s plenty to see in Valletta on foot and the lift into town is easy to reach from the cruise port. Frankly, Gozo didn’t do it for us at all, but we were pleased we did the short tour to Victoria from the tender as there is virtually NOTHING to do at Mgarr. 

With the smaller Greek islands, it’s often nice just to find a taverna and a local beach or hike up to a local monastery.

There will be an early evening talk about each port the night before you arrive (usually in the Club or Seabourn Square) with maps handed out.

Finally, we’ve only ever booked up tours onboard with on board credit and never had a problem getting on one, so unless there are some you are desperate to do, it might be worth holding off on one or two until you have worked out onboard how to pace things. 

Have a a great trip. We had plenty of grumpy people on board, for some reason...but (in my view) you can’t beat the Greek Islands and the Odyssey is a great ship with lovely food.  And if Michael DiSpezio is doing the enrichment lectures you will be blessed! 

Great summary Ovener this is one of our favourite cruises on Odyssey.

I suggest if there is not already a roll call, start the thread. There will be fellow cruisers who are avid researchers . They amaze me with the excursions they find plus you start some very pleasant rappore and exchange of thoughts. I enjoy the build up of excitement, whilst looking forward to the cruise.

Hi 

Thanks everybody - it is the Greek Odyssey cruise (so many thanks Ovener - a great insight!) we are on and very much looking forward to it as it is also our very first cruise. We will be complete babies hopefully alongside some experienced    cruisers. 

We have already booked our own flights to/from Athens as we live miles (West Cornwall) from any airport that offers a direct flight on appropriate dates and times. We didn't want to have to transfer to a hub then onto Athens so have gone with Aegean from Heathrow.