Taking a Paul Gauguin Cruise in December--is the weather OK??

rockwallroses

We leave on the 29th and will let you know in January. We’re expecting hot and humid with some rain each day and thunderstorms. Also expecting beautiful flowers, warm water and New Year on the beach with 🍹or two. 

On 12/16/2018 at 7:19 AM, rockwallroses said:

Next December 2019--we are considering taking our 1st Paul Gauguin Cruise.  We are looking for ideas about cruising in December.  Is the weather ok?  How are the seas for cruising?  How is the water temperature?  We would appreciate any advice.

A reliable source told me if you’re lucky you’ll just miss typhoon season.

Enjoy your cruise.  It’s a nice cruise.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, huladoula1 said:

We are also going on the 12/7/19 cruise to celebrate our 20th anniversary on 12/8! 

We will be on your cruise!   What a great way to celebrate your anniversary!  I can't wait to have air and everything else confirmed.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:48 PM, MNmomof4 said:

We will be on your cruise!   What a great way to celebrate your anniversary!  I can't wait to have air and everything else confirmed.

MNMomof4 - Also a mom of 4 here.  LOL. 

We are pricing out doing our own air out of LAX,  staying pre-cruise on Moorea for 3 nights (Hilton?), and trying to figure out what to do the last day - book a tour, try to get a day room, ???  Still lots of time, but I like to research and figure it out in a timely fashion. 

14 hours ago, MNmomof4 said:

I am thinking of leaving LAX on December 3.  I already booked 3 nights at Hilton moorea( used some points).  That is as far as I got. Let me know if you see decent air out there and I will do likewise

It looks like we will be doing your exact itinerary!

We will be staying a few days with my daughter in LA, then leaving on 12/3 for Papeete  & arriving 12/4 for Moorea for 3 nights. I'm still looking for a good deal at the Hilton.   

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:56 AM, rockwallroses said:

We keep going back and forth between a cruise or staying on Bora Bora at the Four Seasons for the whole trip.  It certainly is a difficult decision.

Well - here's the thing.  If you're on Bora Bora the entire time, that's the only thing you'll get to see.  But if you're on the ship, you'll visit several islands and then you can pick your favorite one to hang out on the next time you travel there 😉 .  My daughter honeymooned at the Four Seasons Bora Bora in April, 2017 and just loved it there.  

16 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

My vote it the cruise and a pre or post hotel stay. We are staying two days at the intercontinental papette, then the cruise, and the the St Regis Bora Bora. 

My vote too.  We don't stay in such exalted resorts, but the theory is the same.  You do get to see so much of the islands on the ship, with plenty of opportunities to get in the water, and be pampered.  The longest pre-cruises we've done were three nights, and that's about right.  If you just did land, I'd at least split the stay up into two separate resorts on different islands.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:43 AM, MNmomof4 said:

I am thinking of leaving LAX on December 3.  I already booked 3 nights at Hilton moorea( used some points).  That is as far as I got. Let me know if you see decent air out there and I will do likewise

Just booked our air out of LAX using a search engine last night.  Around $1100 pp on Air Tahiti Nui.  I was getting a little nervous not having things nailed down. We also decided to stay at the Intercontinental Moorea using PG's pre-cruise package for 3 nights, plus a day room at the Tahitian Pearl post cruise.  Interesting that the IC Moorea is undergoing renovations so they're including dinner every night as a comp for guests for any inconvenience.   I just feel better knowing it's all booked from airport arrival to airport departure.  Now the waiting...……..

2 hours ago, huladoula1 said:

Just booked our air out of LAX using a search engine last night.  Around $1100 pp on Air Tahiti Nui.  I was getting a little nervous not having things nailed down. We also decided to stay at the Intercontinental Moorea using PG's pre-cruise package for 3 nights, plus a day room at the Tahitian Pearl post cruise.  Interesting that the IC Moorea is undergoing renovations so they're including dinner every night as a comp for guests for any inconvenience.   I just feel better knowing it's all booked from airport arrival to airport departure.  Now the waiting...……..

Thanks for letting me know you booked.  I nearly booked a few days ago but decided to wait.  I'm thinking of flying on the 3rd from Minneapolis to SFO to PPT on united and upgrade my seats for more leg room.  We would also get to Tahiti at 8:40 pm so we would stay somewhere not too expensive then take the ferry to Moorea on the 4th.  Air was about $1350-1400 last week.  I can't wait for our trip!

• 1 month later...

I think it depends where one lives for how the climate feels to one. We have been on the PG in November, December and June and found the climate comfortable but we live in Southern CA. Someone from the colder climates may feel the climate differently. We were out biking on one of the islands and we had a rain shower but it didn't stop us enjoying the weather or our bike experience.