Royal Star Class and gratuities

I have booked a star class suite for a May, 2020 sailing on Harmony last week.  Since the booking, RC has added gratuities twice.  I called CS the first time I saw the addition, and they took the gratuities off after explaining a code was not entered to prevent them from being added.  RC added gratuities again yesterday.

Has anyone experienced this?  Who else do I need to speak to to have this resolved? I don’t want to keep calling CS every time I see gratuities mysteriously appear.  

Sorry if this topic has had already been addressed.  I searched the forum for any related topic but didn’t find anything.

The grats are always messed up on our Star Class bookings.  I wouldn't worry about it until much closer to final payment.  If you booked with an agent, they will be able to take care of this for you.  If you booked directly with RC, wait until near final payment and then ask them to fix it for you.  I don't know why this is always an issue, but it is.  I also just recently booked a Star Class (Oasis, Dec. 2020) and they had the grats on there.  I have learned to just ignore it until right before time to settle up.

6 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

The grats are always messed up on our Star Class bookings.  I wouldn't worry about it until much closer to final payment.  If you booked with an agent, they will be able to take care of this for you.  If you booked directly with RC, wait until near final payment and then ask them to fix it for you.  I don't know why this is always an issue, but it is.  I also just recently booked a Star Class (Oasis, Dec. 2020) and they had the grats on there.  I have learned to just ignore it until right before time to settle up.

Good to know.  OK will do.  It’s more fun to be impatient about the countdown anyways ☺️

• Haha 1

Your genie can also help with the gratuities if they stay on the booking.  Also be sure to check your printouts a couple of times during the sailing as sometimes charges are accidentally added.  On Anthem our genie checked our obc account and removed any charges for us.  I will have to check our current sailings as I have never thought of looking to see if RCCL added grats to our bookings also.  Glad I read this, I learned something else I need to keep an eye on.

I have had the same issue with my 2020 SC booking twice this week!

I finally called RCCL and they looked into the issue and apparently it is the same person who is going in and adding the gratuities. I was rather upset with them the second time I called, as I had just called 24 hours prior for the same thing. The customer service rep was very good and understood right away what the issue was and that the entire process was not being followed.

They have to go in and add the gratuities and then add in a code to make them complimentary. I wouldn't wait and let the Genie deal with them, as you will have already paid them with your final balance 90 days prior. Why let RCCL hold your money that long? 

It SHOULD (emphasis on SHOULD) be an easy fix.

When you booked, did they put My Time Dining as your dining option?

We have a couple of Star Class reservations and this happened to us too. It was taken off and then came back on again.  My TA told me that it has to do with the dining option. When they switched it to traditional (even though you are likely not using the MDR much) the gratuities stayed off.