Exchange Rates RoyalCarribbean.com - Canadian

When I purchased my deluxe package a notice said once I make a purchase it locks in my exchange rate.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Does that mean just for the cruise planner or for all my purchases?  Basically I am wondering if there is a way I can pay my grats based on that rate.  I benefited huge from the locked in exchange rate on NCL two years ago.  Thanks for any input fellow Canadians!

59 minutes ago, farmersescape said:

When I purchased my deluxe package a notice said once I make a purchase it locks in my exchange rate.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Does that mean just for the cruise planner or for all my purchases?  Basically I am wondering if there is a way I can pay my grats based on that rate.  I benefited huge from the locked in exchange rate on NCL two years ago.  Thanks for any input fellow Canadians!

It’s only cruise planner purchases and I believe that it’s only locking in the rate for the OBC exchange not the actual cost of the items.  Gratuities is totally separate.  If you add prepaid gratuities to your reservation they will be locked in.  With our $ dropping recently it’s a better rate if you prepay.

I have two cruises booked for Jan/Feb (B2B). 

One with the locked in rate of $1.29 (locked in Oct) and the other has a rate of $1.34 (currently unlocked).  But... it really does not matter as far as I can see.  

It is interesting to see that there is ZERO difference in the prices of anything on prepurchase the packages.   Drink package is $64.19 per day for both cruises.   

But...I recently pre-paid my Grats after I locked in my price and we were charged $17.60(CAD) PP per day on both legs so locking in didn't make a difference on one cruise to another.

we purchased a few excursions and this didnt lock into the rate this year. (it did last year) so maybe YMMV.

I was able to purchase OBC at 1 to 1.30 and withdraw it as cash on the last day at GS to "cash out" which is a few percentage points favourable compare to current exchange rates (also i paid with credit card when i did this in advance so i got some cashback on top of that). Its nothing like the 1 to 1.1 in the past but its sure is better than paying the market rate.