What to do after disembarkation in Bayonne until 9pm flight from JFK

heatherbelle

Hi

I’m from the UK and never been to NY before.

we will have luggage and I’m looking for ideas on what to do before our late flight home as well as hotel help before the cruise.

we will be flying in and out if JFK and I have no idea in terms of both travelling time and distance JFK is from the port.

This will probably be our one and only ever trip to NY so I would like to see the sights.  I can research those separately, but I would like hotel recommendations somewhere central and cheap.

plus ideas on what to do on the day we get off the ship too.  Are there any companies you can leave your luggage with who will deliver it to the airport for example?  I don’t really fancy a ship tour with the masses.

17 minutes ago, heatherbelle said:

Hi

I’m from the UK and never been to NY before.

we will have luggage and I’m looking for ideas on what to do before our late flight home as well as hotel help before the cruise.

we will be flying in and out if JFK and I have no idea in terms of both travelling time and distance JFK is from the port.

This will probably be our one and only ever trip to NY so I would like to see the sights.  I can research those separately, but I would like hotel recommendations somewhere central and cheap.

plus ideas on what to do on the day we get off the ship too.  Are there any companies you can leave your luggage with who will deliver it to the airport for example?  I don’t really fancy a ship tour with the masses.

Could you provide the exact dates and flight times? Number of people?  Bed size requirements? Realistic hotel budget?  Manhattan hotels are very expensive. What are your sightseeing priorities?

If you cannot use public transit, your transportation is going to be expensive.  Look at the map.  JFK Airport is in Queens New York.  The sights you want to see are in Manhattan, NY.  Cape Liberty is in Bayonne, New Jersey.  No one has posted about using any kind of luggage delivery service to JFK Airport.

13 hours ago, 138east said:

Could you provide the exact dates and flight times? Number of people?  Bed size requirements? Realistic hotel budget?  Manhattan hotels are very expensive. What are your sightseeing priorities?

If you cannot use public transit, your transportation is going to be expensive.  Look at the map.  JFK Airport is in Queens New York.  The sights you want to see are in Manhattan, NY.  Cape Liberty is in Bayonne, New Jersey.  No one has posted about using any kind of luggage delivery service to JFK Airport.

13 hours ago, 138east said:

Hi

Bed size? Gosh I thought there only was one size, we need a double bed, I think in the US it’s a king.  Not bothered so long as we can both sleep in it.

i am looking at an August sailing.  I have no idea how much a mid priced hotel would cost in New York, hence my question.  We are happy to stay at any decent hotel, preferably one with breakfast included.  Usual brands we stay at include Holiday Inn, Staybridge Suites, through to luxury hotels at Walt Disney.  Location is important, I don’t want to waste time travelling to see the main sights.  Obvious ones which spring to mind would be Empire State Building ground zero.  I have lots of research to do in this part of our trip later on.  I was hoping to start by working out where we needed to stay.  I have looked at a map, but you cannot get a real sense of scale compared to actually being there.

We are able to use public transport, but I don’t want to be doing this with suitcases in tow, but happy on public transport for sightseeing, used it all over Europe, including London.

2 minutes ago, heatherbelle said:

Hi

Bed size? Gosh I thought there only was one size, we need a double bed, I think in the US it’s a king.  Not bothered so long as we can both sleep in it.

i am looking at an August sailing.  I have no idea how much a mid priced hotel would cost in New York, hence my question.  We are happy to stay at any decent hotel, preferably one with breakfast included.  Usual brands we stay at include Holiday Inn, Staybridge Suites, through to luxury hotels at Walt Disney.  Location is important, I don’t want to waste time travelling to see the main sights.  Obvious ones which spring to mind would be Empire State Building ground zero.  I have lots of research to do in this part of our trip later on.  I was hoping to start by working out where we needed to stay.  I have looked at a map, but you cannot get a real sense of scale compared to actually being there.

We are able to use public transport, but I don’t want to be doing this with suitcases in tow, but happy on public transport for sightseeing, used it all over Europe, including London.

A double bed here is the smallest.  53"x75". Queen 60" x 80 and king 78" x 80".  New York hotel rooms can be very small.  2 Queens are hard to come by and some folks are unrealistic about their desires and expectations.

Do you have a budget range?  Do you have to fly to JFK?  Could you provide sample dates or tell me your ship and destination?  Days of the week you need a room are very important.  Holiday Inn Express hotels in midtown Manhattan are running $250-270 plus tax on a random Wed in August.

JFK to Manhattan - about $75 by cab with tolls and tip

Manhattan to Cape Liberty - about $80-90 by car service with tolls and tip

Post cruise luggage storage is available at Schwartz Travel in Manhattan.  Empire State is in midtown and Gound Zero is downtown, so you will definitely be riding the subway.

Hi

im looking at the Anthem of the Seas 9 day departures which leaves on a Thursday either 1st August or 15th August, Caribbean.  I can be flexible with flying in dates.  Also just looked at flight prices into New Jersey and I can get direct flights to there from where I live.

a double bed is fine.  I bet NY rooms are like those you find in many parts of Europe in terms of size.  We would want to fly in about 3 or 4 days before probably do the main things in NY like Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, Empire State or the rock, Macy’s and anything else that catches my eye.  Just trying to work out pricing really, if it’s all too much, will go to plan B, a med cruise, but I’ve done those to death.  Pricing on Anthem seems a bit high at the moment, but we’ll see how numbers stack up.

3 hours ago, heatherbelle said:

Hi

im looking at the Anthem of the Seas 9 day departures which leaves on a Thursday either 1st August or 15th August, Caribbean.  I can be flexible with flying in dates.  Also just looked at flight prices into New Jersey and I can get direct flights to there from where I live.

a double bed is fine.  I bet NY rooms are like those you find in many parts of Europe in terms of size.  We would want to fly in about 3 or 4 days before probably do the main things in NY like Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, Empire State or the rock, Macy’s and anything else that catches my eye.  Just trying to work out pricing really, if it’s all too much, will go to plan B, a med cruise, but I’ve done those to death.  Pricing on Anthem seems a bit high at the moment, but we’ll see how numbers stack up.

NYC prices will be better for Aug 15 - you could get away with about $250 tax included in midtown for a decent hotel.  If you picks dates we can look more closely.

• Like 1

Schools in the NYC tri State area are still on summer vacation in August, so I wouldn’t count on prices being low (it’s nice to be able to drive to the port). No matter where your hotel is, you will need to travel to different areas of manhattan to see what you want to see. For example, 9/11 memorial, museum, observatory, battery park for ferry to SOL/Ellis Island are all downtown, while Times Square, Empire State Building, Rockefeller center, top of the rock are midtown, north of that area is Central Park, museum of natural history... Decide what you want to do, and map it out. Google maps it pretty accurate about travel times with driving, walking and public transportation.