"End of World" train Ushuaia Excursion?

Emu

Can anyone advise if the above journey is offered as a shore excursion on the QM2 South American voyages?? (We are still waiting for our shore excursions book!!!)

If anyone has done the trip previously, I would be most grateful for any information or comments.

We are busy researching things to do in all ports of call...........

Thanks

Can anyone advise if the above journey is offered as a shore excursion on the QM2 South American voyages?? (We are still waiting for our shore excursions book!!!)

If anyone has done the trip previously, I would be most grateful for any information or comments.

We are busy researching things to do in all ports of call...........

Thanks

Unless you are really into trains, it is a waste of money. However, that said, IF you are not also offered the bus tour, the train is probably the ONLY way to get to the end of Tierra del Fuego.

The train was kind of dorky, even for us who generally like trains. The bus went exactly the same route (we could see the bus), minus the beaver dams. We met up with the bus people at the entrance to the Park.

My recommendation-try to take the bus, if offered. Or arrange a private tour. The train really wasn't worth the extra money, unless it is the ONLY was to get to the end of Tierra del Fuego Nat. Park. That is a must see-you are truly at the end of the world-only 130+ miles as the crow flies from Antarctica. And note the sign at the entrance-XXX amount of miles to Alaska. If you go to Alaska to the Arctic Circle, the signs are EXACTLY the same-same brown wood, same yellow lettering. I have the side by side pictures I took mounted as a poster and it is truly AMAZING that signs that far apart in miles are IDENTICAL. Enjoy!!!!

The information you provided was helpful........ I will add some more notes to my folder. Nothing worse than arriving somewhere with no idea of where to go or what to do............ after travelling halfway round the world, no way I am going to sit on deck!!

Feel free to add any other advice.

Kind regards.

People on our trip who took this were pretty much universally disappointed. The people who took the boat excursions to see penquins there all had a great time and were very close to the penquins in the water.

The museum on the waterfront is also interesting, but is closed during siesta time.

We did not take an excursion at all, but just walked around the quaint little town. Be sure to go into a chocolate shop...there is one every block downtown and we had hot chocolate and bought candy in just about all of them!!!

We visited this port last January.

We opted for the Tierra Mayor Natural Reserve Hike (they call it a trek). The excursion was wonderful as we enjoyed the beauty of this area.

With that said, we do have friends who went on the Train to the End of the World Excursion. They thought it was fine. As a couple of days before they had done one of the longer tours in another port, they just wanted a tour where they could relax. So, that is the advantage of that one.

If you are up to walking a few miles, I would recommend the Tierra Mayor Natual Reserve Excursion if it is offered on your ship.

Keith

We just booked this excursion and i have learned not to rely solely on what other say due to everyone having a different taste. I booked it because as you mentioned we are truly at the end of the world.

Any further information on the excursion would be most helpful especially the history. Thanks

Unless you are really into trains, it is a waste of money. However, that said, IF you are not also offered the bus tour, the train is probably the ONLY way to get to the end of Tierra del Fuego.

The train was kind of dorky, even for us who generally like trains. The bus went exactly the same route (we could see the bus), minus the beaver dams. We met up with the bus people at the entrance to the Park.

My recommendation-try to take the bus, if offered. Or arrange a private tour. The train really wasn't worth the extra money, unless it is the ONLY was to get to the end of Tierra del Fuego Nat. Park. That is a must see-you are truly at the end of the world-only 130+ miles as the crow flies from Antarctica. And note the sign at the entrance-XXX amount of miles to Alaska. If you go to Alaska to the Arctic Circle, the signs are EXACTLY the same-same brown wood, same yellow lettering. I have the side by side pictures I took mounted as a poster and it is truly AMAZING that signs that far apart in miles are IDENTICAL. Enjoy!!!!

We just booked this excursion and i have learned not to rely solely on what other say due to everyone having a different taste. I booked it because as you mentioned we are truly at the end of the world.

Any further information on the excursion would be most helpful especially the history. Thanks

Isn't the bus trip offered? Or could you find the private tour company who does the bus? For the extra $50.00pp, I wouldn't take the train. The train is really kind of a scam. It's not a full size train-more like a large version of the kiddie trains at a carnival. In fact, 2 large adults have a hard time fitting together on the seats. And they are not truly train seats-nothing like you find on any train almost anywhere, even the trains I just rode in Vietnam. More like a small bench with very little padding. It really reminded me of a kiddie carnival ride, just larger sized. That's why I said it was dorky.

We literally could see the bus almost all the way to the park. The bus was on one side of the road and river, we were on the other. The only thing the bus did not see was the beaver dams- not overly impressive-there are beaver dams all over the US.

I really don't know what you mean by "history". It's just a national park-lots of tundra like ground, not a lot to see, other than to KNOW you are truly at the "end of the world". That's why I recommend the bus or private tour. You still get to "the end of the world", but save about $100.00 getting there.

Why I was originally interested, is that there was a program on TV here that went into the history of the railway line. That is why I always kept it in my memory for more attention.

From what I can remember, It was bulit by convicts over 100 years ago, mainly to service a prison that was built in the isolated area.

The very narrow gauge used on the track was due to limitations of finance and the ability to twist and turn thru harsh terrain.

We also had the same system used here in Australia (the famous "Puffing Billy" near Melbourne) is what remains of an extensive narrow gauge (2' 6") rail system that was constucted to exploit timber reserves in the late 1800's. (for the same reasons finance and engineering)

They were by no means "fair ground" rides.

So it is really the train at "the end of the world"......... not just put there for tourists........... although that is its only purpose now!

I hope to ride if not at least see it!!

Thanks to all for your comments and assistance.

Why I was originally interested, is that there was a program on TV here that went into the history of the railway line. That is why I always kept it in my memory for more attention.

From what I can remember, It was bulit by convicts over 100 years ago, mainly to service a prison that was built in the isolated area.

The very narrow gauge used on the track was due to limitations of finance and the ability to twist and turn thru harsh terrain.

We also had the same system used here in Australia (the famous "Puffing Billy" near Melbourne) is what remains of an extensive narrow gauge (2' 6") rail system that was constucted to exploit timber reserves in the late 1800's. (for the same reasons finance and engineering)

They were by no means "fair ground" rides.

So it is really the train at "the end of the world"......... not just put there for tourists........... although that is its only purpose now!

I hope to ride if not at least see it!!

Thanks to all for your comments and assistance.

Thank you for the history lesson. It would have been nice if the ship excursion would have mentioned any of that. I had no idea. Then the whole thing would have made sense. I really thought it was just a dorky little train they put out there for tourists so they could go "to the end of the world". Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

The excursion I read about for "End of the World train ride" on travelsur.net said......." this is the first train in Latinamerica built with visitors in mind. It consists of steam engines, coaches comfortably heated and fitted with large windows. Around trip takes about 2 hours..............."

Is there more than one train excursion?????

Archived