Passport picture in Smartphone adequate when going to foreign ports...?

25 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

It would expedite it by about 5 seconds, which is the amount of time it would take an agent to look up that info.

Okay, since you didn't understand.  The "only" benefit of having a copy is what I should have posted for you.  I think you completely ignored the rest of my post which had to do with the fact neither the pp number or the copy would get you on a plane out of the country.  Way to focus on the one thing you think you could "teach" me about.    

Edited by BND

On 12/23/2018 at 1:30 AM, NavyCruiser said:

Correct.  True.  Agreed.

But again, how may (what percentage) of us brings all of our families' physical passport books off the ship at every foreign ports? 

We do.  

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 3:54 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Not the cost but the trouble. Having your passport stolen while in a foreign country would be a big PIA trying to get  through immigration at you home  port.

Which is why we also have the passport card, and leave that in the safe so we can get back into the US if our passport book is lost or stolen.  We always carry our passport book when in a foreign country.  That's what it's for.

On 12/21/2018 at 3:21 PM, blackshirt said:

If you don't make it back to the ship, they will retrieve your passports from your safe and leave them with the port agent.

I confirmed this with Guest Services staff on my last cruise. Do yourself a favor and leave your passport easy to find in your safe, and bring a copy of it off the ship with your drivers license. 

On 12/23/2018 at 12:30 AM, NavyCruiser said:

Correct.  True.  Agreed.

But again, how may (what percentage) of us brings all of our families' physical passport books off the ship at every foreign ports? 

We don't bring the physical passports with us at every port.  What we do is scan copies of all important papers (passport, driver's license, Health Care POA, Insurance information, etc.) and store as encrypted documents on a secure location in 'the cloud'.  We both have passwords/keys as does our emergency contact back home.  

We fully realize that we may have to wait for a replacement passport before being able to return to the U.S. but, considering the ship will at least try to leave your passport behind if you miss the ship, we consider it a risk we;re willing to take.

8 hours ago, LrgPizza said:

It would expedite it by about 5 seconds, which is the amount of time it would take an agent to look up that info.

Given that the US State Department notes that a copy or a photo can be used to expedite things, I’d wager it helps far more than 5 seconds. 

Especially for people with common names. 

I always wonder if those with the strongest opinion to leave passports locked in ship’s safe have actually done any foreign travel. I’ll bet very few.

With just a bit of diligence and attention to safety, one can safely carry their passport all over the world with very little risk. And my wife & I and thousands of others are proof of that.

And I’m not talking about American territories or US tourist dependent Caribbean islands. I mean REAL FOREIGN TRAVEL.

#tootimidtotravel

On 12/23/2018 at 1:30 AM, NavyCruiser said:

Correct.  True.  Agreed.

12 hours ago, iuki said:

We do.  

We do as well.

20 hours ago, Johnamac123 said:

I confirmed this with Guest Services staff on my last cruise. Do yourself a favor and leave your passport easy to find in your safe, and bring a copy of it off the ship with your drivers license. 

Yes, they say they WILL, but there have been reports where they did NOT.

So the real answer is, they probably will, but it is not guaranteed.

On 12/26/2018 at 8:23 AM, BND said:

Okay, since you didn't understand.  The "only" benefit of having a copy is what I should have posted for you.  I think you completely ignored the rest of my post which had to do with the fact neither the pp number or the copy would get you on a plane out of the country.  Way to focus on the one thing you think you could "teach" me about.    

Since you didn't understand, I was agreeing with you. Sorry you got triggered. 

56 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

Since you didn't understand, I was agreeing with you. Sorry you got triggered. 

That was agreeing with me?  Well, alrighty then.  BTW, I don't get "triggered".  That is such a millenial term.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:30 AM, NavyCruiser said:

Correct.  True.  Agreed.

we do-

In my opinion its really the only responsible way to get off the ship while traveling with a family.

you can not fly home without it until you jump through the hoops at the embassy and I am not going to trust the ships crew or  try to track down the port agent if there is an emergency.

If something were to happen I want the least amount of obstacles between where were are and getting home.

On 12/26/2018 at 9:14 PM, lizardhowson said:

I always wonder if those with the strongest opinion to leave passports locked in ship’s safe have actually done any foreign travel. I’ll bet very few.

With just a bit of diligence and attention to safety, one can safely carry their passport all over the world with very little risk. And my wife & I and thousands of others are proof of that.

And I’m not talking about American territories or US tourist dependent Caribbean islands. I mean REAL FOREIGN TRAVEL.

#tootimidtotravel

If an excursion does not involve water activities, we will often take our passports.

I just want to point out that in the past RCI has recommended in the cruise compass you do not carry your passport.

The risk is very low whether you do or not.  I would note the almost total lack of horror stories about passports not being available to travel to the next port.

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:14 PM, lizardhowson said:

#tootimidtotravel

I spent 25 years traveling internationally for business - We are now traveling to see all the places I visited, but never saw (was always business focused) and our cruise stops are less than 1% of my international travel.   We always leave our passports on the ship.   I don't bother with a copy of my passport, but I do have access to our passport numbers, consulate numbers and emergency numbers on my phone (and the cloud).  I figure the chance of the passport being lost, stolen or damaged is greater than missing the ship.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I figure the chance of the passport being lost, stolen or damaged is greater than missing the ship.  

So in those 25 years of traveling, how many times did you have your passport lost, stolen, or seriously damaged?

And how many times did you hear of a colleague or acquaintance having it happen?

But people miss the ship all the time.

Interesting how this thread has turned into a different subject to the original question. 

Which was if you can use a picture or photocopy of your passport directly, which is no. But you can use that to expedite a replacement. 

We have travelled a lot, too, and other than the first few trips, we stopped carrying our passports constantly, unless required. You need a passport to exit the ship in Cuba, so we take it there. 

There is a split decision on this topic, even among the experts. Having been involved with running corporate travel programs throughout my career, my sense is that a slight majority will recommend that you do NOT carry your passport on your person with you when travelling unless required. Although as I mentioned, there is far from a consensus on this.

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/should-carry-passport-times-110089.html

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/traveltips/03/02/passport/

The experts do advise that you make copies of your passport documents, including leaving one back home for family. Although copies do not serve as official documents, they do help expedite getting passports reissued.  A copy on your phone would certainly suffice, in fact some recommend an online scanned copy.