Port Canaveral seafood restaurant suggestions

RoperDK

Looking for stone crabs! We will be there in February so they will be in season. I don't see them on any local meus, but know they can be the "catch of the day".  We also love rock shrimp and scallops.  We will be there for 2 days and would also like to have drinks and seafood where we can watch the ships leave port.  Which restaurant/bar is best for that and why?  I grew up in Florida and really miss my fresh seafood.

Thanks in advance,

Dawn  

Florida's Fresh Grill in Cocoa Beach.   The other place I'd recommend for seafood if you weren't wedded to the stone crabs: Fat Kahuna's.  A very small bistro right on Minuteman Causeway in what I call the "historic district" of Cocoa Beach,  I had an excellent meal there last month - they had 2 good fish on the menu and I couldn't decide between them - I was told I could order the "Surf & Surf" and get both!  It is a small menu, but they are good preparations of what they offer.   Get your meal there, then walk across A1A to The Fat Donkey for some amazing ice cream for dessert!  The Mai Kai flavor (coconut ice cream with macadamia nuts, butterscotch and fudge swirls) is out of this world!

• Like 2

On 12/21/2018 at 7:29 PM, RoperDK said:

Looking for stone crabs! We will be there in February so they will be in season. I don't see them on any local meus, but know they can be the "catch of the day".

The red tide has played havoc with stone crabs (and their price) this year. You may not find them at all, and be stunned by the price when you do. See https://www.coastalliving.com/lifestyle/the-environment/stone-crabs-florida-red-tide-algae

Edited by Langoustine
  • Like 1

You can't go wrong with either Florida's Fresh or Fat Kahuna's. The food and service is impeccable at both.

At both, you may wish to make reservations- especially at Kahuna's. They only have seating for about 30 people.

But it is SO worth it....the highlight of our visit every year.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I knew that the red tide was causing problems with the stone crab catch, but didn't know it was so bad. I've heard of Florida's Fresh, but not Fat Kahuna's.  Interesting choices!  If we wanted to have drinks and snacks to watch the ships leave port, which place do you recommend and how early do you need to get there?  We are sailing in Feb. so the outside weather may not be so good.  Do any of the port side restaurants have inside seating with views of the ships?

Thanks in advance,

Dawn

second picture shown is Grills!

My go to place in the port for watching the ships and seafood

sometimes they have lion fish ... YUMMY  ... caught fresh by local divers and served to support efforts to eradicate this invasive species ... but a nice mild white taste white flesh .... done with an oriental glaze.

btw ... Stone Crab is pretty hard to find around Canaveral ... I can't think of a time I've seen it on a menu in the last 10 years but if I'm wrong someone will SURELY point it out.  You won't see it a Fashlips or Grills IME. ALTHO you CAN find it at the seafood counter at Publix Grocery when in season . . .

(btw, you DO realize that any crab like stone crab that you are eating was cooked soon after caught and frozen and you are eating a thawed product; as is the case with any snow/king etc crab <from alaska>?  crab breaks down FAST .... so must be cooked SOON after 'death'.  Want stone crab at best price? buy at Publix and take to hotel and eat at a poolside table!)

lion fish dinner_zps37mhektm.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

Thank you for all of your help.  I grew up in South Miami and The Keys many decades ago . I so miss my fresh seafood.  Memories of going to the docks to get fresh fish and shrimp right off of the boats. I realize that things are different now, but I still seem to find a local place that serves as fresh as possible under today's restrictions.  I appreciate you sending me in the right direction!

Dawn

P.S - Capt_BJ,, I saw the lionfish menu. What a great idea to help rid the area of an invasive species! Oh my, it would be hard for me to dig into the whole fish though! They are quite a plate full!