Wind Star Aruba-costa rica 12/11/18-12/22/18 glitches

aleeoc

Just an FYI on the Wind Star- the sports platform has not been operational for several weeks. The ship had a small leak that required underwater welding in Aruba so we delayed departure for a day and missed Cartagena although. Could not run tenders in Pearl island Panama due to swells so missed that port too. Stewards, waiters, bar staff were amazing but “management” were more or less indifferent. We focused on enjoying the cruise - it was our first Windstar cruise- but heard some multiple repeat Windstar travelers say they this would be their last trip. Here are the welders at work in Aruba. 

C146985D-1249-435F-9AEC-1BCEFCDB84A6.jpeg

F45B8CFB-72EF-4089-ACAC-4E1198A148A4.jpeg

The sports platform did not work the whole trip, the zodiacs launch from the gangways from either side of the ship.  (they mainly use the port side)  They used the tenders once where there was a dock for a dry landing.  The zodiacs were not in good shape and one of them had engine problems.  The welding was to fix HOLES in the side of the ship from forward to aft below the water line.  Agree that the wait staff, the room stewards, and bar tenders did an amazing job and always had a smile on their faces and greeted everyone by name after the 1st day.

I'm on the current cruise. They told us at the start that they are taking Pearl Islands for all the cruises because the anchorage is too exposed resulting in water that's too rough to run excursions. 

We are spending an extra day at Balboa instead.

They added excursions for Friday evening and a couple of repeats of excursions for Saturday. But the didn't get enough sign-ups by the end of our boarding day so they cancelled the one we wanted on Friday evening and the one that we wanted to switch to Saturday. There were only a few hours for people to find out about the schedule change and new excursions. I don't feel that they handled the timing well. 

They did have free drinks at the Star Bar part of the evening & a couple bof free wines at dinner.

3 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

They told us at the start that they are taking Pearl Islands for all the cruises because the anchorage is too exposed resulting in water that's too rough to run excursions. 

We were on this cruise as well.  I looked out our stateroom the morning we arrived at Isla Parida and saw these little motor boats, barely bigger than a rowboat, being thrown around in 2-3 foot seas.  I told my wife "We aren't going ashore in one of THOSE!  Let's stay aboard." about 5 minutes before young Captain Simon announced we were abandoning any idea of landing there.  Good choice.  Although it was the second missed port call of the cruise (having by-passed Cartegena due to the repairs at Aruba), I felt Windstar and the crew handled the emergent situations well.  Although we did not avail ourselves of the landing added at Drake Bay due to the Isla Parida situation, we felt the cruise rated a 4+ star rating (including the section from Barbados to Aruba which we also were on.)  Not having the sports platform did not seem to really impact the cruise, as all the toys usually launched from there were towed into beaches at the appropriate calls.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's too bad about Pearl Islands (and losing Cartagena). 

We did a similar itinerary when the post-Balboa stop (or I guess pre-Balboa stop in your direction?) was Portobelo, and I have to say that was my least favorite stop (although we did do a nice excursion back to the canal).  I was thinking the Pearl Islands would be a nice place to see, but obviously not if the anchorage is unsuitable.

Edited by Doh15

We were on the 1/2 to 1/12 Canal/Costa Rica cruise. I totally agree with the "management" indifferent comment. I believe we saw the captain 3 times the entire trip and his daily updates left a lot to be desired. 

BUT, the service staff again knocked the trip out of the park.