Get taxi to tour Cartagena on our own or Dora Explorer tour

meliss35

I am trying to decided if we should get a taxi at the port to go to La Popa,  San Felipe de Barajas Fort and then to the old city or do the Dora The Explorer tour. My husband and I usually don't like going on tours and prefer to do it on our own. The tour is only 3 to 3 1l2 hours but we have about 7 hours here. How hard will it be to grab a taxi to go to La Popa, San Felipe de Barajas Fort and then to the Old City. Will they wait for you to go back to the ship? Can I get a taxi to go to those places and then after we walk around the Old City get a different taxi back to the ship? Is it safer to be on a tour? How much would a taxi cost to do this? Will they try to bring us to shops? How long is the drive from the Old city to the ship?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I did the tour with Dora in Jan 2019. It started out fine, but nowhere is it listed that you end up in a store trying to sell u emeralds.

in addition, you spend more time here than given to shop else where.

the stop for coffee is actually just a gender selling coffee. Not sure it's best spot to buy either.

Personally, I wasn't very happy.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/12/2019 at 9:51 PM, krillsister said:

I did the tour with Dora in Jan 2019. It started out fine, but nowhere is it listed that you end up in a store trying to sell u emeralds.

in addition, you spend more time here than given to shop else where.

the stop for coffee is actually just a gender selling coffee. Not sure it's best spot to buy either.

Personally, I wasn't very happy.

I agree.  This was mostly a selling you something tour.  I wasn't very happy either.

• 3 weeks later...

We customized our tour with Dora - just two couples, sightseeing plus lunch at a local restaurant near the university.  It is possible to customize and request "no shopping or stores."

Our tour guide was friendly and university educated.  We enjoyed the history and learning about Cartagena.