Some FLL suggestions please

bay guy

We are booked at the end of January on B2B cruises. The first is the 3 day Oprah group cruise on New Statendam (NS) and the second, because Niew Statendam is apparently booked for a charter group, is on Oosterdam. 

I've been told by HAL that we are going to have to be off the first cruise by about 8 which leaves us about 4 hours before we may board Oosterdam, according to HAL.

Any suggestions on how we could possibly transfer from one ship to the other smoothly, not leaving the port area, and not have to drag luggage around for all that time or some place we could go with the luggage and just wait until we can board Oosterdam?

I thought about taking a ship tour once we arrived back in FLL on NS but they all go back to either FLL or MIA airports.

The complicating factor in all of this is that my wife has some mobility issues. She can't walk long distances due to some heart issues so I'm trying to save her from over doing it so she can enjoy the Oosterdam.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've spoken to HAL and the very nice agent didn't have any solutions other than to take a tour and then take a taxi back to the port when we're dropped off at FLL.

6 minutes ago, bay guy said:

We are booked at the end of January on B2B cruises. The first is the 3 day Oprah group cruise on New Statendam (NS) and the second, because Niew Statendam is apparently booked for a charter group, is on Oosterdam. 

I've been told by HAL that we are going to have to be off the first cruise by about 8 which leaves us about 4 hours before we may board Oosterdam, according to HAL.

Any suggestions on how we could possibly transfer from one ship to the other smoothly, not leaving the port area, and not have to drag luggage around for all that time or some place we could go with the luggage and just wait until we can board Oosterdam?

I thought about taking a ship tour once we arrived back in FLL on NS but they all go back to either FLL or MIA airports.

The complicating factor in all of this is that my wife has some mobility issues. She can't walk long distances due to some heart issues so I'm trying to save her from over doing it so she can enjoy the Oosterdam.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've spoken to HAL and the very nice agent didn't have any solutions other than to take a tour and then take a taxi back to the port when we're dropped off at FLL.

The ship may be able to arrange a transfer for your stuff. I could not find a thread for reference, but I've read it here at some point. There is not much I'd recommend for so short of a layover, so I would stay on the first ship as long as possible. We've come home during turn around, but that's not a good solution fo most people. 

I haven't seen it advertised but last year I was on the Prinsendam's fall transatlantic to Ft. Lauderdale.  As I left the ship I saw several bags tagged to be delivered to another HAL ship that was in port.  I'll suggest that you check with guest services on the NS and see if they can take your bags to the Oosterdam.  That would at least take care of one part of your dilemma if available.

Another thought.  I have taken the tour that ends at the airports.  Before we went to the airport we returned to the port and dropped our guide off.  Perhaps you could get either your driver or your guide to drop you at the Oosterdam.  If that didn't work you could still be dropped at the airport and get a cab.

Finally, especially if the ships will handle hour bags I would just grab a cab to a local venue (restaurant, library, beach, etc) for a few hours and then a taxi back to the port at boarding time.

Good luck.

Roy

51 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Here's the disembarkation sheet from my Prinsendam cruise.  Note "Purple 1" at the bottom of the list:

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/location1118.pdf

Roy

Nice to see that. I hope they do the same when I transfer from the Nieuw Statendam to the Nieuw Amsterdam in February!

9 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Nice to see that. I hope they do the same when I transfer from the Nieuw Statendam to the Nieuw Amsterdam in February!

Maybe it is only to get you off the ship last. Do you not have to pick up your luggage and go through immigration/border services with it?

In Jan we are doing a Kdam & NAdam side by side. We will be taking our own luggage off, walking over to the NAdam and depositing our luggage with the baggage handlers. Just a risk mitigation strategy for ensuring our luggage gets on NAdam.

2 minutes ago, CHOPPERTESTER said:

Maybe it is only to get you off the ship last. Do you not have to pick up your luggage and go through immigration/border services with it?

In Jan we are doing a Kdam & NAdam side by side. We will be taking our own luggage off, walking over to the NAdam and depositing our luggage with the baggage handlers. Just a risk mitigation strategy for ensuring our luggage gets on NAdam.

It would be fine with me if it is just to get us off the ship last, but it would be nice if it included some sort of transportation from one terminal to another, maybe similar to the hotel shuttles, to move us and our bags.

10 minutes ago, richwmn said:

It would be fine with me if it is just to get us off the ship last, but it would be nice if it included some sort of transportation from one terminal to another, maybe similar to the hotel shuttles, to move us and our bags.

I agree it would be nice. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised ! I'll find out on 13 Jan.