CocoCay Cabanas

Hi all,

for it the first time I am considering really splurging and getting a cabana at the Chill Island side of CocoCay due to receiving a Christmas Gift for money towards my upcoming cruise with Symphony which includes Perfect Day. 

However, I have never done a cabana not really looked into one before. It looks like I can’t select the one that I want online. Do I need to call them to select the exact one? I really don’t want to have to wait until I get onboard and then risk having to get one that isn’t oceanfront as it appears based on pictures that some of them might be behind other cabanas. Is this true?

Also, does the cabana attendant bring you alcoholic drinks or do you still have to get them yourselves?

And finally, if you have gotten a cabana before, especially if you have gotten one recently, did you find that it was worth the high price tag?

Any assistance and/or personal opinions concerning these cabanas would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks fellow cruisers 🙂

You pick your cabana once you are onboard the ship. After you get onboard head to the shore excursions desk and pick the one you want.  To answer your question about drinks, yes an attendant does occasionally come around to take drink orders but a much better way is use your 2 bottles of wine per cabin to bring some bottles of good rose with you.  they have an ice chest in your cabana to stash them in and it will be much more convenient, cheaper, better wine than relying on the attendant.

37 minutes ago, Dred pilot Roberts said:

You pick your cabana once you are onboard the ship. After you get onboard head to the shore excursions desk and pick the one you want.  To answer your question about drinks, yes an attendant does occasionally come around to take drink orders but a much better way is use your 2 bottles of wine per cabin to bring some bottles of good rose with you.  they have an ice chest in your cabana to stash them in and it will be much more convenient, cheaper, better wine than relying on the attendant.

Thanks. We aren’t really wine drinkers mainly cocktails so I don’t think that we will bringing any onboard. But good idea for others. Disappointing that you can’t reserve any. Will really have to think about that. Thanks again. 

58 minutes ago, 37645 said:

... did you find that it was worth the high price tag? ...

It was worth it to us to share the cabana with a really nice couple, but I don't think we would get one for the two of us.

22 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

It was worth it to us to share the cabana with a really nice couple, but I don't think we would get one for the two of us.

Just a question about the cabana's....We will have 6 adults and 4 children (two 3 yo & two 5 yo) will we be able to book one cabana?

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Just a question about the cabana's....We will have 6 adults and 4 children (two 3 yo & two 5 yo) will we be able to book one cabana?

My understanding is that you get 6 wristbands, so you would need two cabanas for 10 people.

Beach beds and bungalows are in a different area.  Further down the beach.  They have a special lunch, delivered to the bed or bungalow. You have to place your order at least the day before.

The beach beds are a bed with a canopy and some sides covered.  The bungalows are like a small hut and have loungers outside.  Cabanas are larger huts, with like a porch with 2 loungers, then 2 more in the sand.  Also has a private beach and swimming area.

The cabanas have a special buffet lunch, where the meats are grilled on site.  This is also open to full suite guests.

RCI IT strikes again.

Last year I called to book one Deluxe Package with VOOM and one without VOOM.  The Deluxe Drink Package was SOLD OUT.  *****?!

The agent was as amused as I was over that screw up.

I've noticed the cabana prices keep changing.  When I originally booked it was $599, then for Black Friday went to $494.  Now it is showing at $999.  The last cruise I went on in April I only paid $299. I've also noticed they no longer offer the snorkle equipment OR the floating mat.  Hmmmmmm.......

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 8:01 PM, 37645 said:

Also, does the cabana attendant bring you alcoholic drinks or do you still have to get them yourselves?

And finally, if you have gotten a cabana before, especially if you have gotten one recently, did you find that it was worth the high price tag?

🙂

Yes there is an attendant who will bring you drinks.  At the same time if it isn't fast enough, the bar is literally 10 steps away and dedicated just to the cabana/suite area.

Well worth it to me and will always do it again.

7 minutes ago, Jerseygirl2624 said:

For those who stay in suites, is it worth getting a cabana? We're doing the mariner in May in a grand suite and was wondering if it was worth getting a cabana or just stick with the area offered to suite guests. 4 adults and 2 kids. Thanks in advance!

The suite reserved area is literally the same area as the cabana...its just only chairs and umbrellas though...so you can sit there, swim in the same place, eat the same buffet, drink from the same bar....but not enjoy the sofas of a cabana.  I would always get a cabana.

On 12/31/2018 at 2:03 PM, Ashland said:

If the cabana only accommodates 6...how many will the bungalow hold ? Where are the bungalows vs the cabanas on Coco Cay...? This is for May 2020

Bungalows hold 6 as well.  The cabana has a sofa and 6 loungers (4 blue beach style ones and 2 cushion ones).  The bungalows have essentially the same sofa with one piece slightly larger (chaise lounge style) and 2 lounge chairs.

I like them both (Cabanas and Bungalow) and the experience is very different between the two

Bungalow has the better view

Cabana has the better food

Cabana has the better swimming (VIP area got deep enough to actually swim in, Bungalows was all shallow for very very very far)

Cabana has the better location (close enough to everything to listen to live music in the background, all activities seem easily walked to)

So I suppose if you want a super laid back, float on a float in a quiet area and not be disturbed...I would go bungalow.

If you want a pretty laid back, float in area where you can hear music, occasionally roll off and swim a little, eat a great buffet...I would go Cabana

Here's some Cabana photos...the Suite VIP seating (without cabana rental) can be seen behind my son in the second photo as well as the first cabana to give you frame of reference for distance to bar/food 😉  You can get a sense for the amenities and view...just look past the people you don't know if the photos

DSC02422.thumb.JPG.b36eb7a14d1d3f886cdcd67137000579.JPG

DSC02432.thumb.JPG.917ef8f5635bca7bc4614110db068742.JPG

DSC02419.thumb.JPG.080e810023c147229c8eb34583ae2a6e.JPG

DSC02437.thumb.JPG.e88772b25d79768ea551fcb4ab343dca.JPG

DSC02431.thumb.JPG.d5aec75610c28e32182941b55e014576.JPG

DSC02450.thumb.JPG.9b02ef2adefb265b5b0fde73bc5136d9.JPG

And here are a couple bungalow photos

DSC02022.thumb.JPG.b64543cbf6f4e17d0a211c7a3d2950e2.JPG

DSC02041.thumb.JPG.1fd844930b84a2be51cca185d9c467e4.JPG

DSC02023.thumb.JPG.bb5473d7f157f8260773e61c2ba9f650.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we got a cabana on our Aug 3018 cruise and we weren't able to select the cabana it. We were told it was assigned when it was purchased. We ended up with #1. it was the last one out on the jetty in the back row.Good view of the water to the side but not much view of the private swimming area.  my kids enjoyed the swimming area. Had a rocky wall they'd enjoyed examining and there were lots of fish in the water. little far to walk in the heat for drinks. It was a little noisy as the jet ski rental was directly behind us.

They offered snorkle equipment but you had to go to another area to get it. the float mats were nice. The couch and lounge chairs were great overall it was nice to try. It rained off and on that day so it was great to have covering. The rest of the island cleared out fast but we were able to enjoy the whole day. the buffet was good and close by. There was someone bringing drinks but it was only the daily special in the special cups.

The area with the cabana has lounge chairs for the suite guests.

the price is going up once the finish the renovation on Cococay, spunds like they will have a lot more in the various areas. so we were glad to try it but not sure it would be worth it when the price goes up.

Actually, I think the bar is open to non-suite guests from the side away from the buffet.  You can walk up there to get drinks.  But not sure, as we were suite guests anyway.

Be advised, the canopies are SUN screens, not RAIN PROOF.

We met a couple on one cruise who had a cabana and invited us to join them.  When it rained, it rained in the cabana. 😄

It might stop a very light sprinkle, but much more, and it comes through.

I enjoyed the cabana use.  But at the prices they have been, I would not pay for one.

@dodgestangThank you for the feedback and picture  I think bungulows may work since we have little kids and the shallow water away from everything seems safer. I also like the thought of having the food delivered as opposed to standing in line.

I do have a couple of questions. Would suite guests have an enhanced menu for the bungalow? Also, are suite guests in a bungalow able to visit the suite area by the cabanas for a change in scenary? Is there a bar/bathroom close the the bungalow? And lastly, would the concierge in the suite lounge be able to assign the bungalow or would I have to go to the excursion desk? Thanks again. 

special menu - not to my knowledge

visit the suite area if you rent a bungalow - yes, it is the suite area you can come and go as you want

bathroom - yes and outdoor showers right behind the bungalows

Concierge for bungalow - I'm not sure, I was in the royal suite on Grandeur when we had a bungalow (basically our first cruise).  Didn't know how it all worked and didn't get documents in the stateroom until 3rd day of the cruise so when I filled out the menu and went to desk all the front row units were taken.  I was a little peeved since it turned out if you want a front row, basically when you get on the boat you go to the desk and pick it...no one told me and the concierge at the time wasn't much help (he was filling in as the usual concierge was on vacation)

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2019 at 8:36 AM, Jerseygirl2624 said:

@dodgestangThank you for the feedback and picture  I think bungulows may work since we have little kids and the shallow water away from everything seems safer. I also like the thought of having the food delivered as opposed to standing in line.

I do have a couple of questions. Would suite guests have an enhanced menu for the bungalow? Also, are suite guests in a bungalow able to visit the suite area by the cabanas for a change in scenary? Is there a bar/bathroom close the the bungalow? And lastly, would the concierge in the suite lounge be able to assign the bungalow or would I have to go to the excursion desk? Thanks again. 

No, you will have the bungalow menu.

Yes, if you are in a full suite, you can use the suite area.  And eat lunch at the cabana/suite buffet.  Not that many people there, so I have never seen a line.

Yes, there is a bar near the bunglows.

The concierge should be able to help, but might not be on duty when you board, so I would hit the excursion desk as soon as I board.

• Thanks 1