Time for a Name Change?

TomCruise48

We attended a CC Meet and Mingle on a recent Carnival cruise.  We were pleasantly surprised to be greeted by the CD, ED, and Hotel Director at this event.  The event started out great, but about 15 minutes into it, a couple who were not CC members ignored the Private Function sign by the door and walked in.  The husband had seen the event scheduled in the Funtimes and thought this was the place to take his complaints.  The Carnival staff did an excellent job of explaining the function of the Meet and Mingle and Cruise Critic to the couple.  The wife then recognized that this was a private function and tried to get her husband to leave, but he had three senior officers cornered and wanted to air his list of complaints.

Most of the rest of the event was spent listening to this non-CC member complain about things that Carnival does or does not do.  Many of his complaints were petty, such as the hole that Carnival punches in the S&S card is not big enough.  Other complaints were about things that almost all cruise lines do.

His monopolizing of the conversation pretty much ruined the event for CC members.  The Carnival staff handled this professionally and patiently listened to the man’s complaints and tried to explain why things are done the way they are.  I felt sorry for the staff and can understand why most times the M&M’s are not attended by anyone from Carnival.

Had the words “Cruise Critic” had not appeared in the Funtimes, this would likely never have happened.  I cannot help but think that the name of our group casts a bad light on the organization.

45 minutes ago, Sillyjilly said:

This has happened in the past. They should have directed them to guest services.

First I’ve heard of it. The sign does say private party. They could change the fun times to say “cruise critic members” or “cruise critic private party.” But that’s on them to say “we’re getting too many regular guests, let’s change the wording to be more specific.” I’m guessing it’s not a big problem.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TomCruise48 said:

We attended a CC Meet and Mingle on a recent Carnival cruise.  We were pleasantly surprised to be greeted by the CD, ED, and Hotel Director at this event.  The event started out great, but about 15 minutes into it, a couple who were not CC members ignored the Private Function sign by the door and walked in.  The husband had seen the event scheduled in the Funtimes and thought this was the place to take his complaints.  The Carnival staff did an excellent job of explaining the function of the Meet and Mingle and Cruise Critic to the couple.  The wife then recognized that this was a private function and tried to get her husband to leave, but he had three senior officers cornered and wanted to air his list of complaints.

Most of the rest of the event was spent listening to this non-CC member complain about things that Carnival does or does not do.  Many of his complaints were petty, such as the hole that Carnival punches in the S&S card is not big enough.  Other complaints were about things that almost all cruise lines do.

His monopolizing of the conversation pretty much ruined the event for CC members.  The Carnival staff handled this professionally and patiently listened to the man’s complaints and tried to explain why things are done the way they are.  I felt sorry for the staff and can understand why most times the M&M’s are not attended by anyone from Carnival.

Had the words “Cruise Critic” had not appeared in the Funtimes, this would likely never have happened.  I cannot help but think that the name of our group casts a bad light on the organization.

I can see why someone like that would seize such an opportunity due to the name.

2 minutes ago, shof515 said:

I am surprised they have a private party event listed in the funtimes. whenever i was on the ship, it was never in the funtimes. they was only a card in my room with the date/time and location

We did get invitation cards and it was posted in the Funtimes (but not in the Hub app).  I had talked to a CD about this on a previous cruise.  He explained that they were asked to continue posting it in the Funtimes since when the M&M's were first set up with Carnival, there was no way for Carnival to know who had signed up.  CC later modified their signup procedure to include that information so Carnival could send invitations.  The post in the Funtimes was the only way to notify those who had signed up under the initial procedure.  

It has probably been about two years since the procedure was modified, so it is likely that the M&M's for all those who signed up under the initial procedure have passed and Carnival can stop posting the event in the Funtimes.

12 hours ago, shof515 said:

I am surprised they have a private party event listed in the funtimes. whenever i was on the ship, it was never in the funtimes. they was only a card in my room with the date/time and location

I get the card and it's in the fun times. Good thing too. When on breeze it wasn't a card but a sheet of paper and they had it mixed in with all of the ads I throw away. I saw it in the fun times 10 mins before it happened. That's how I knew about it.