Best choice for St Thomas when crowded?

mchelle77

We've been to St Thomas once before but did an excursion to St John to snorkel. This upcoming trip, Cruise TT says there will be a total of SEVEN ships at the island. I don't think I want to just do a random, open beach, so can anyone recommend either an excursion or a resort that limits the amount of guests?

There are many day sails that limit the number of guests. I think Capt Pat is one who is highly recommended.

Secret Harbor limits the number of beach chairs for rent so that keeps major crowds down. Since all beaches in VI are open to the public the resorts can't restrict access.

Are you willing to go to a beach where you will have a beach bar and rest rooms and probably zero fellow cruisers, buy you may have only your towel to lay on? If so try to hail a taxi to Hull Bay. Another option is Elysian Beach which is near Secret Harbor.

Otherwise I’d recommend Sapphire Beach because it is a mid-sized, gorgeous beach with amenities and beautiful island views as well as snorkeling, and although other day visitors will be there, it doesn’t get as crowded as most other beaches. Also, most stay by the bar and the sandier swimming area and you can move your lounges over by the condos to have more room. SH does have limited capacity for day visitors which means you may want to reserve umbrellas in advance if you decide on that -

http://www.aadivers.com/

Note that 7 ships is a lot but is not atypical.

You may also want to consider a daysail that could include a beach stop. STTResident is a resident of STT (you probably guessed that:classic_rolleyes: ) and if you look at her posts on the St Thomas forum on Trip Advisor she highly recommends a particular daysail. If interested in something like that you'd have to contact them to see if your port times work, or if you need to gather up fellow cruisers on your Roll Call forum here...but can't think of a nicer day in a busy port!

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, O2B@Cagain said:

Mchelle: It always pains me when someone says that they will stay on the ship. Many people in the Caribbean are dependent on cruise passengers for their livelihood. If everyone could get out and spend just a little, it would help a great deal.:classic_smile:

Don't get me wrong - we'll be off for a bit to shop, I'm happy to funnel a bit of money to the island. But with that many ships in port, my anxiety level will be off the charts (I have panic attacks). I won't be able to enjoy myself fearing that we won't get a taxi back in time, or there are too many people in whatever place we choose and cause me to be claustrophobic ... I get what you're saying, but I've got to do what's best for me. 

15 hours ago, mchelle77 said:

I won't be able to enjoy myself fearing that we won't get a taxi back in time, or there are too many people in whatever place we choose and cause me to be claustrophobic ... I get what you're saying, but I've got to do what's best for me. 

Many choose to stay on the ship, especially a busier port and they've already experienced much of what that destination has to offer, and there is nothing wrong with that. But since many others will be reading this thread because the title fits this port so well, I just want to emphasize that the ideas mentioned - as well as others not mentioned - would provide the experience you requested (limited number of fellow cruisers), even with 7 ships in port. Whether it be a relaxing day on a quiet beach or on the water, there are definitely options for everyone.

But enjoy your cruise, looks like a nice one 🙂!