Solo Alaska - does it ever go on sale?

CanadaGuyEh

Alaska is a short season but is cold early and late in the season so are there last minute deals a person can get when going solo?  I had a cruise booked but was paying $2,600 for 7 days so I cancelled that - was just out of hand as I do not care what cabin I get etc.

I went on the second cruise of the season to Alaska.  The weather was not bad.  The year I went, HAL had a special promotion and I was able to get a balcony for $112 less than the ocean view I had originally booked.  There are deals to be had occasionally but you have to check regularly.

I got what I considered a bargain on RC by booking almost the first day that summer 2020 bookings were open. The reason for jumping on it was that a single inside cabin was still available, and I think that the ship (Radiance) has only six of them. Many people would say that for Alaska it is absolutely imperative to have a balcony, but since ground arrangements in Alaska are expensive and I want to do some additional travel there after the cruise, I concluded that it was prudent to book as economically as possible.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:58 AM, mef_57 said:

I saw a number of reasonable prices for late season, last minute cruises for 2018 but you need to accept higher last minute airfare.

am lucky as family lives in Vancouver so I can couch surf and skytrain down to the cruise terminal and walk on and off as would book Vancouver round trip cruise.   I live in the tropics November to July so just have aug to nov for cruising.  Is lots though out of Vancouver that time of year so I should be able to keep busy.  May also look at Orlando cruises  as have Hilton there I can use as home base while cruise those months.  Saw so many great last minute deals that is how I travel now - am not booking nothing in advance EVER again  - 30 day window is my new life 😃

If you can take advantage of last minute sales, often a month or less to sailing can often get some good deals.  The con is unless you live within a driving range or airline employee have to purchase some higher airfare.

Like others stated the end of the season normally have some great sales.  You can take a chance a book an airfare on a later date with several sailings and hope one comes at a price you like.  Know someone who did this and she got an outside on Princess for a great rate.

I have friends who live in Portland and often take advantage of late August and September sailing for great rates