Steakhouse questions

moongal

I made reservations for my family to go to the steakhouse this January on the Valor.  We have cruised before but never been to the steakhouse before and decided to give it a try this time!  My question is, can you get the Warm Chocolate Melting cake in the steakhouse?  We looked at the menu and my kids did not want any of the offerings (dessert) and wanted to know if they could just get a warm chocolate melting cake instead.

Also do I need to leave a tip?    We are scheduled to go the first night, do we need to dress up? 

Anything else we need to know or any other useful information?  This is a special treat for us, so I am anxious that it goes well.. we have never ever spent $38 (or is it $40?) per person at any restaurant ever before.... we never eat out really, so this is a really going to be a treat, I just hope it lives up to our expectations!  I have been reading on these boards about how good it is. 

Thanks

28 minutes ago, moongal said:

I made reservations for my family to go to the steakhouse this January on the Valor.  We have cruised before but never been to the steakhouse before and decided to give it a try this time!  My question is, can you get the Warm Chocolate Melting cake in the steakhouse?  We looked at the menu and my kids did not want any of the offerings (dessert) and wanted to know if they could just get a warm chocolate melting cake instead.

Also do I need to leave a tip?    We are scheduled to go the first night, do we need to dress up? 

Anything else we need to know or any other useful information?  This is a special treat for us, so I am anxious that it goes well.. we have never ever spent $38 (or is it $40?) per person at any restaurant ever before.... we never eat out really, so this is a really going to be a treat, I just hope it lives up to our expectations!  I have been reading on these boards about how good it is. 

Thanks

First night you do not need to dress up for the steakhouse.  I did tip don't know if you had too.  I did just because of the quality of service we got.   Don't know on the desert question.

It was a treat for me and my wife too.  First thing she said is this place is way out of our league. lol

The melting cake is not available in the steakhouse. They have the art of chocolate, cheesecake, Fresh berries /fruit cup . We enjoy the steakhouse and the ambiance.  I think the first night is more lenient with the dress code but I didn’t want to chance it, so we wore dressier clothes on the day we left, just in case.  Turns out, we had all of our luggage well before our 730pm reservation.  The 38.00 is certainly a bargain for the type of food you get. The only difference is that you can’t order multiples like in the MdR. You can, however, share and eat family style, the portions are nice sized. It is a ton of food.  

Depending on on what time you have reservations for, you could go to the MDR for dessert only that night. I would only do this if you have anytime dining, so that you are not disrupting any table mates. 

If you have a set dining time in the MdR, We tell our wait team that we will not be eating in the mdr that night. If you have a set dining time, the wait team will sort of look out for you and it might slow service for the rest of the table. Since it will be the first night, they might not expect you. 

We leave a tip, as the service is usually phenomenal. We only had 1 bad experience this summer on the Breeze. We still tipped because it was only 1 person that caused the bad experience, the rest of the team in the steakhouse were very accommodating and helpful. 

The cost is 38.00 per person.  Also, just for grins, we always attend the steakhouse cooking demo, it is held on the 2nd day of the cruise at noon in the steakhouse.  We never miss this, you have to get there early and it is free and so fun to see. 

Some dessert photos from the Steakhouse on the Valor F212F066-3496-4023-8273-2F075676B6B6.thumb.jpeg.4290b70c56b78e3c562f26aca954ca2f.jpeg

This is the chocolate extravaganza or something..  

04B09F9E-CE29-403A-B7BD-FFD1FC419295.thumb.jpeg.288ba7ebc32f844d59d14f553398c13b.jpeg

The cheesecake is HUGE!

E6BDEC3E-F012-452D-A767-DF8A0B9AA4A3.thumb.jpeg.1e05902bc29d9cddf8601605cbd7973c.jpeg

The fresh fruit seriously, this is what I get for dessert most times. It’s the only thing I can put down after all the food. I used to go for the rich and heavy desserts but I could not finish them. I am able to eat the fruit. 

Wow thanks for the pics!  I guess it's been a while since I have been on these boards... it all changed from the last time we cruised so it took me a while to figure it out, (the boards) but I was under the impression that cheesecake was no longer on the "new" menu... at least it was new menu the last time we cruised and I was reading about it all, the "art at the table" etc, and I had thought they discontinued the cheesecake that everyone had always raved about, so its good to know it is available.  It certainly looks good!   How will I ever decide!  That chocolate stuff looks quite tantalizing as well!  Oh my!

Thanks for all the tips!

3 hours ago, moongal said:

Wow thanks for the pics!  I guess it's been a while since I have been on these boards... it all changed from the last time we cruised so it took me a while to figure it out, (the boards) but I was under the impression that cheesecake was no longer on the "new" menu... at least it was new menu the last time we cruised and I was reading about it all, the "art at the table" etc, and I had thought they discontinued the cheesecake that everyone had always raved about, so its good to know it is available.  It certainly looks good!   How will I ever decide!  That chocolate stuff looks quite tantalizing as well!  Oh my!

Thanks for all the tips!

Pretty sure you are right about the cheesecake being discontinued. https://cruisefever.net/carnival-cruise-lines-new-steakhouse-menu-added-to-more-cruise-ships/

40 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

I believe you also get a free bottle of wine on the first night in the steakhouse.

It's a free bottle of house wine or half off a good bottle of wine. From my confirmation email for a steakhouse reservation on an upcoming cruise:

P.S. We are having a promotion in the Steakhouse on Embarkation and the first Cruise Elegant nights of the cruise! Guests booking a reservation on either night will receive a complimentary bottle of house wine or 50% off any bottle from our wine list!

Edited by bbtbear
mistake

17 minutes ago, bbtbear said:

Pretty sure you are right about the cheesecake being discontinued. https://cruisefever.net/carnival-cruise-lines-new-steakhouse-menu-added-to-more-cruise-ships/

I can confirm that the cheesecake is back on the new menu.....

IMG_4044-XL.jpg

I guess they listened to the outcries!!!  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Jamman54

14 hours ago, apcci2 said:

Steakhouse is a little expensive but it’s worth it. 

We find it very reasonable. You can not get an ala cart steak in a decent steakhouse for $38. We just went to an upscale Vegas steakhouse it was $400 for 4 without dessert. 

2 hours ago, coevan said:

We find it very reasonable. You can not get an ala cart steak in a decent steakhouse for $38. We just went to an upscale Vegas steakhouse it was $400 for 4 without dessert. 

I agree. I think it’s reasonable as well. I was responding to the OP stating they have never spent that amount on a restaurant before.