Resort (day pass) or public beach on Kanapali w snorkeling?

jeph

I will be in Maui (Lahaina-- probably tendering in rather than docked) for the day on the 25th, and am thinking about heading a few miles north to Kanapali beach, which seems to stretch for six or seven miles more and is studded with resort hotels.  Can anyone recommend a resort, or for that matter a public beach, with good snorkeling?  IMPORTANT-- I will bring a mask of my own, but would want to rent fins, and some sort of safety vest for a bit of added buoyancy.

All beaches are public in Hawaii, you don't need a pass or any permission to snorkel any beach. 

There are a couple of companies for snorkel supplies. Snorkel Bobs, and I think the other company is Boss Frog, or something similar. A little Google searching would be helpful.

There is no "probably" to tendering at Lahaina. You will definitely be tendering.

• Like 1

Hi Jeph, The snorkeling on Kaanapali is at the far north end of the beach in front of the Sheraton.  It's called Black Rock.  If you google snorkeling on Kaanapali you'll get some great information.   Hope you have a great time.

5 hours ago, marden1970 said:

Hi Jeph, The snorkeling on Kaanapali is at the far north end of the beach in front of the Sheraton.  It's called Black Rock.  If you google snorkeling on Kaanapali you'll get some great information.   Hope you have a great time.

Thanks-- I'd heard that Black Rock was among the best places to go!  Do you know if the additional equipment (beyond the mask / snorkel set I plan to bring) would be available up there, or would I need to handle that somewhere in town first?

• Like 1

The Sheraton, which is the hotel right there at Black Rock has an equipment rental place right on the beach.  According to their website they have surf and paddle boards in addition to snorkel equipment.  We stayed next door at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel a few years ago.  Didn't get to snorkel there but the beach is beautiful.  Pull up one of the webcams to check it out.  There are a few (Maui beach cams).  Poor substitute for being there but better than nothing!

• Like 1