Marella Celebration Questions - Caribbean

Lots of questions for our group, Barbados back to back cruise:

1. Is there a kettle in the room? If so do you get tea and coffee in the cabin or are we best to bring our own herbal teas?

2. Booked one cabin decks 3/4 inside and one cabin decks 1/2 outside. Generally is one likely to be better than the other in terms of vibration, sickness, location etc? I need to decide whether I want the view or comfort? If you have a guaranteed I guess it's luck if you end up with a double beds or the L shaped ones......? 

3. I read there was a washing machine. Is there powder too and dryers? Are these free?

4. WiFi - how much is it and anyone here experienced how good it is around the Caribbean?

5. Is there a good gym? Facilities etc in gym? Is there classes such as yoga onboard?

6. If we were to take water bottles, particularly for when going off the ship is there anywhere to fill up these (and is it time limited,  e.g. only at certain times such as dining times). Is there a fridge in the room? 

7. What would you say is general drink prices? Also, are there some instances where drinks are free, such as Captains?

8. We are not big drinkers but is it possible to take a nice bottle of wine etc on board if we bought it on the flight out, duty free for example and put it in our case or is this not allowed?

9. Toiletries like shower gel - is this branded or just basic stuff. I think I read it was Clarins but then someone else said not. Just so I know whether to pack my own.

10. Does anyone have a list of the spa/treatment prices?

11. Is there a library? Just want to avoid taking lots of books.

Thanks

I havent been on the Celebration for a few years but stand to be corrected on some points but will do my best

1) No as they set the fire detectors off (but they are now on some ships so this may have changed)

2) It more depends where the cabins are laterally.More central is better.It does suffer from vibration particularly nearer  the stern

3)Yes there are launderies and they are free

4) Expensive and sllooooooooowwwwww.

5) Basic gym and yes there will be various classes.Yoga I think you have to pay for.

6) There are places you can fill up water bottles

7) Drink prices are pretty good actually.Expect to pay pub prices

😎 No problem to take your own alcohol on board

9) Pretty basic unless you are in a suite I think

10)

11)Yes there is just take one and replace when you are finished

As I say things may have changed in the last couple of years but hope it helps

Thanks that's wonderful.

Great to have free laundry onboard, saves luggage space. 

Do you know if you can bring a travel kettle? Hopefully someone will be able to confirm if anything has changed re kettle situation?

Will grab duty free on way out perhaps and take on board but for the odd glass of wine maybe worth paying for then.

Charging extra for a yoga class! Maybe I'll just do my own.

Thanks very much for your help.

13 minutes ago, Tizzy-Jo said:

There are kettles with tea and coffee in the cabins. If you prefer a particular tea or coffee, take some with you. I always take sachets of cappuccino.

Thanks for confirming. I'll take some herbal teas though I guess you can take some from breakfast/buffet back to the room too?

Yes you can

when I was on Celebration last January the laundry was still there (since Spirit has gone only Marella ship to have them)  however my sister informed me recently that it's now not showing on the deck plan it's just a blank space We are in cabin 143 for 4 weeks in April and the laundry is very close (usually) I'm hoping that it's still there but unmarked 

Maybe someone who has just come back from the Caribbean can advise please

Thanks Pensioncruiser I hope they didn't remove it when she was in Cadiz for a refit before setting sail for the Caribbean as it's not shown in the new brochure nor online

wishing you a very happy healthy and peaceful New Year

Was on Celebration 7/12-20/12/18 so the latest info

Yes kettles and hairdryers in cabins. Tea and coffee making stuff but take some of own favourite if important but full range of other teas in buffet.

Deck 2 outside midships small pothole not too bad for motion, guests higher up reported more sway. Celebration is a small ship but hopefully calmer Caribbean seas than we had first leaving Malaga for transatlantic. We always used tv for view from the bridge views but generally we came into ports at breakfast time for views. We did pick our cabin to make sure midships, not too near lifts/stairs and not next to/ under or too near entertainment areas and you can pick bed arrangement.

Free washing machines and powder (as designed for ships use) dryers but as didnt use didnt notice if dryer was free but would suspect so as they wouldnt like damp clothes spread around cabins or bathrooms. (no washing line in our shower)

Wifi on board was £8 and hour minimum when it worked. Caribbean notoriously poor for wifi. Although 'free' in the ports if you get other huge ships in at same time the stress on port wifi is massive. Possibly better at port bars getting a password and a drink etc.  We pretty much gave up and enjoyed a technology free break!

Partner went to gym and thought ok. Also a free sauna however time was generally spent sunbathing when at sea or touring when in port so not a really important facility for us. Yoga? no idea but doubt have time.

We took water bottles emptied before airport security then refilled at airport (if Gatwick they facilitate this after the security check)  We then used these bottles throughout the cruise as Celebration has cool water dispensers and provide carafes in cabins to fill up.  You can also fill them for shore excursions although they like trying to sell you bottled water and snacks as you disembark. There was a fridge/cooler thing in our cabin but dont think it worked and didnt really need it as AI + the water.

We were all inclusive so our drinks were free and of acceptable quality. Our only gripe was the red wine was Spanish and not as good as we had on the Dream. Pay prices were probably pub prices but we didnt bother paying extra for any premium drinks.  Partner can testify that the drink flowed...hic........... 😞

Bathroom shower gel and hand/face wash was in dispensers, didnt notice brand but was ok and saved weight of taking own.

Didnt use spa as mean and they are generally expensive. Some days there were special offers but still not special enough for me 🙂

There is a card room/games/jigsaw room, a book exchange/library and internet room. If doing back to back you may not have enough sea days to bother taking books.

If you need anymore answers or excursion info just ask.

@newbiewaves thank you so much, that's amazingly helpful.

We are flying from Birmingham on a late deal I guess you'd say. Deck 1/2 outside but haven't selected cabin so no idea what we will get!

Ours is a B2B but not AI. We haven't booked any excursions yet so any advice would be helpful. We are happy to DIY it or book independent excursions too.

Thanks again

Places i have been on list;

St Vincent can recommend Fraser Taxi and tours but make very clear if you want a personal tour or dont mind sharing as his car can take 6 people. We paid $50 a head with 4 (paid at end of day). Also make it clear what you are interested in seeing as islanders love taking you 'up the top' for a good view however the road condition and windy part makes one question if worth it especially if in the back seat. The area where some of Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed and the beach by the Buccament bay disused timeshare complex resort are highlights. If botanical gardens aren't your thing tell him. Sunset Shores beach is the main cruise stop beach (think being on a crowded cruise lounger deck but on the sand) but you can get a swim.

St Lucia...unless you are ok motion wise in vehicles the trip up to the 'rain forest' is a stomach churning white knuckle ride. They do a botanical walk and the zip line here (separate tour). If you do it take bug repellent. Dont recommend the jeep and beach tour as dodgy roads and only 45 mins on a crowded beach. If DIY to beach (usually Rodney Bay) arrange collection and plenty of time as roads can get gridlocked (easy snorkeling on the Caribbean side). We booked Ultimate land and sea to take in everything but not enough booked to run the trip. We therefore missed the Pitons and the volcano as too late to rearrange (think trips to those would be interesting).

St Kitts we did the morning highlights trip with stops at botanical gardens/batik gave a good insight into the small island with a stop off at a tourist photo opportunity spot where they try getting you to hold monkeys.

Antigua with its 365 beaches is quite easy to DIY but has suffered from lack of investment and delays with hurricane damage. Depends on what you like to do. All beaches are public to high water so easy to get a taxi to one. All inclusive resorts do sell day passes but not cheap. We did catamaran and lobster lunch but a lot of sea and only 2 short beach stops and even lunch was served on the catamaran. This tour was also open to people from another ship we had to wait for... no snorkelling opportunity. Previously privately did a catamaran trip to an island with good snorkeling and land lunch. It also stopped at Nelsons Dockyard and we saw a lot of the island from the sea but as on a beach holiday (not cruise) the lack of beach time was less important.

Barbados has the beach side and wild side. Did a 'see sea turtles' trip once when there privately but bit of a con as they feed the turtles and so they lie in wait so more like snorkeling in a zoo. Rumours that these trips are frowned upon as not ecologically correct (same as feeding sting rays) Suggest DIY to a nearby safe beach with pre-arranged return.

Hi rachelandgromit just a couple of things to add depending when you go, as suggested Nelsons dockyard is good for a visit as it's the arrival point for the Atlantic rowers, had a fantastic afternoon witnessing them finishing. Suggest the St Kitts railway is not to be missed, this cannot be done independently and finally get off the ship on changeover day, because we have done most of the trips in Barbados we go to Harbour Lights a local beach, easy taxi ride, they do great food and it's good for a day on the beach. Enjoy 😎