texting on Symphony of the Seas

Can anyone give an update on whether Symphony of the Seas finally has texting and if so,  through which app (Royal IQ or Royal App)?  I leave in a little over a week and am thoroughly confused.  Haven't had a problem in years texting on Carnival, so surprised RC is behind.  Also, just discovered Royal app won't work on my ipod I usually use onboard (system too old) or my son's older samsung phone!  ARGH.  But then, I can't find anyone that has sailed Symphony to even be sure texting is working at all.  ANyone?  Have been on HOLD with RC for 20 minutes.

No texting as yet, without a VOOM package.  With a VOOM package, you can use any internet texting app, or text via WiFi calling if supported on your device.

At some point, texting will be available using the Royal Caribbean International App (without the necessity of having a VOOM package), but as of today, the texting feature has only been reported to work on Allure.

41 minutes ago, green_eyed_girl said:

Have been on HOLD with RC for 20 minutes.

Welcome to CC.

Don't put too much faith in what RC tells you, especially on a technical issue such as texting. Symphony uses the Royal app. The roll out of the texting option within the app started a couple of months ago (was available on the Royal IQ app from the start 4+ years ago) but as mentioned above, not yet on your ship

Ugh!  I would never have thought that the newest RC ship to hit our area would not have technology that we have enjoyed on Carnival for years now for $5 per device per sailing.  My 18 year old son with Down syndrome has been able to have some freedom of movement because of ability to text when he gets lost, etc.  Now, because he is 18 and too old for the teen center and no ability to text, it will alter our activities tremendously.  I'm really disappointed and honestly would never have booked on this ship had I understood beforehand.  Most articles on the Royal App act as though texting was already available.  Furthermore, if the texting was working, the Royal App is not supported on older devices and I would have needed to purchase a new phone (which I was willing to do if necessary).  

After about 40 minutes I got through to RC.  I was told that the only way to text aboard Symphony next week was to purchase an internet package and use Whats App to text.  2 devices for $167.93, three devices for $188.93

You can text on Symphony, you just have to pay for VOOM.  Depending on how far in the future you are cruising, you might find the RC App supports texting for free on Symphony, assuming your devices will support the app.

Thanks, but I leave in 9 days.  Not going to spend $189 to be able to text onboard.  I have no interest in getting on internet during cruise.  I should have researched more fully before booking.  Won't make that mistake again. Disappointed in RC for at least not having an affordable text only option.  

7 minutes ago, green_eyed_girl said:

Thanks, but I leave in 9 days.  Not going to spend $189 to be able to text onboard.  I have no interest in getting on internet during cruise.  I should have researched more fully before booking.  Won't make that mistake again. Disappointed in RC for at least not having an affordable text only option.  

I should have mentioned that if you have cell phones, you can pay by the text.  AT&T charges $0.50 per text sent.  If your carrier is different, check with them for charges on a cruise ship while at sea.  Charges will appear on your cell bill. 

5 minutes ago, fred30 said:

Did they do away with cell service?

I'm not sure but when I was on Symphony in November during the transatlantic there did not appear to be cellular at sea service available when I enabled cell and disabled WiFi. I just got no service. I will be on Symphony at the same time as the OP next weekend and can try again, but a little too late to help the OP on this issue other than to suggest that she touch base with Guest Services once on board to get the latest info about texting availability.

31 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I'm not sure but when I was on Symphony in November during the transatlantic there did not appear to be cellular at sea service available when I enabled cell and disabled WiFi. I just got no service. 

That was very likely a temporary issue - all ships have cell service and if lightly used is a better deal than buying VOOM..

26 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That was very likely a temporary issue - all ships have cell service and if lightly used is a better deal than buying VOOM..

I'll try it again next weekend and let you know if it's working.

We are on the same sailing next weekend on the 12th. Same frustrations trying to get a straight answer from RCI. Depending on your carrier, you may be able to get a cheaper package through your carrier while onboard. I believe if you buy a 3 device package as opposed to 3 "1 device" packages, it may be a little bit cheaper. Also, and I know this is off the original topic, but (because Royal is an hour on hold to "maybe" get an answer to your question). Does anyone know if Symphony has WOW bands available?

TIA

13 minutes ago, sseghini said:

We are on the same sailing next weekend on the 12th. Same frustrations trying to get a straight answer from RCI. Depending on your carrier, you may be able to get a cheaper package through your carrier while onboard. I believe if you buy a 3 device package as opposed to 3 "1 device" packages, it may be a little bit cheaper. Also, and I know this is off the original topic, but (because Royal is an hour on hold to "maybe" get an answer to your question). Does anyone know if Symphony has WOW bands available?

TIA

Yes there are wow bands available on Symphony.

Yeah the only option in Symphony is to purchase a VOOM package. iMessage without a VOOM package doesn’t work on this ship, unlike other ships like the Anthem, I can confirm that since I was on Symphony last week. I heard that the messaging feature within the Royal app should come to Symphony during the first quarter of this year, but who knows when that will actually happen

2 hours ago, renza said:

Anthem was very cool that we could text on airplane mode and it was free. How is oasis, is texting free to or do I need to buy a plan?

No free texting on Oasis, well, at least not till the RCI app adds that feature. 

3 hours ago, renza said:

Anthem was very cool that we could text on airplane mode and it was free. How is oasis, is texting free to or do I need to buy a plan?

Depends on how much texting you will do   If just a few texts sent per day, consider using the Cellular at Sea service.  AT&T charges $0.50 per text sent.