Need Excursion Opinions

EntrechatatSea

Greetings,

Cruising May 24th from Vancouver, one-way to Seward.  This is my second cruise to AK, the first was to Glacier Bay with my son on the Princess Ruby as I live in Seattle and it departs from here.  Had so much fun.  I have brain block at this point, no matter how much research I do I cannot seem to form the answers I require.

I have the following excursions booked but really want to know if I am repeating experiences or could eliminate something.  Your infinite knowledge will be most appreciated!

1.  Millennium arrives Juneau at 7 am, have the Sawyer Glacier tour booked with Adventure Bound that departs at 8:15, very close from ship berth,

2.  Skagway Yukon train booked,

3.  Ketchikan George Inlet crab feast booked on our own with bus lodge transport, (69.00 per person) really loved their crab from last cruise, we did the fight plane back to ship that time,

4.  Icy Strait Pt., 3 hour whale watch with small boat, Glacier Wind, and

5.  Seward Major Marine 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour before train departure to Anchorage.

Here are my questions:

We are taking the train from Seward to Anchorage so is the Skagway train really worth it?

Do you think taking the Kenai Fjords tour after taking the Sawyer Glacier tour is worth it?   Are three excursions on the water too many?  My husband gets bored very easily. There is plenty to keep busy in Seward before the train, Exit Glacier, waterfront walks, halibut lunch, etc.

Should we get fresh crab in Icy Strait Point and skip the George Inlet crab feast? I mention Icy Strait as we could use the crab lunch to help fill time there.

Fellow cruisers, what would you eliminate from that list? Or what would you replace with?  

Thank you so VERY much for your time and assistance.

Yes,  it is two completely different trains.   :)    White Pass is narrow gage for one huge difference     Is of historical significance.     No it isn't too much time on the water.   :)   Frankly-  if your husband is someone who is going to be "bored",  then split up.    Why have him dragged along with little interest perhaps?      

You are too early for fresh crab in Hoonah-  doesn't open until June.   If available,  it's going to be frozen.     

You have good  choices. BUT  I question  if you really have the interest in the White Pass?   What led up to you booking this?   If it was because "it's popular",   that could be a very misguided follow and a poor choice.   Otherwise,  frankly the difference are pretty clear with reviews comparing the Alaska RR and White Pass. 

Of course there is plenty to eliminate and choose.    But-  it doesn't matter what I or any anonymous message board poster would select.   :)  :)  :)   (I am very picky and peculiar as example  :)  :)  )       

If these are tours,  that are of your priority interest and what you want out of your Alaska visit-   then they are the right choices for you.      Have a GREAT time-   it is paradise.   

BudgetQueen,

Thank you for your honest input, I do appreciate that.

I chose the Skagway train trip because my son and I absolutely loved this excursion last May.  Interesting train and history, I had forgotten how small it really was so thanks for that reminder. Truly beautiful mountains and the numerous waterfalls were spectacular.  

Based on your information regarding the crab and Hoonah I will keep the George Inlet crab feast.  69.00 pp for all you can eat Dungeness crab is a bargain.

Keeping the Sawyer Glacier Tracy Arm tour and also the Hoonah small boat whale tour but I have decided to cancel the Major Marine Kenai Fjords tour and look at other options.  May choose a smaller tour operator.  There is the possibility we may go more low-key for that last day prior to the train to Anchorage, visiting Exit Glacier, a nice walk along the shore, do a little shopping and have a good fresh halibut meal.

Whatever we choose, we will enjoy ourselves very much.

There should be fresh Dungeness crab in Icy Strait Point since commercial fishing season around Kodiak Island (Areas 3A and 3B Juneau to Dutch Harbor) is from May 1 - Dec 31 as indicated in the following extracted from:

https://www.alaskafishingjobsnetwork.com/getting-a-job/alaska-fisheries-calendar-and-seasons/

Alaska Fisheries Calendar and Seasons

May

May 1 – Dec. 31: Area 3 – Dungeness Crab

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

There should be fresh Dungeness crab in Icy Strait Point since commercial fishing season around Kodiak Island (Areas 3A and 3B Juneau to Dutch Harbor) is from May 1 - Dec 31 as indicated in the following extracted from:

https://www.alaskafishingjobsnetwork.com/getting-a-job/alaska-fisheries-calendar-and-seasons/

Alaska Fisheries Calendar and Seasons

May

May 1 – Dec. 31: Area 3 – Dungeness Crab

The last 3 years,   I've traveled with a "crab"  person   and Hoonah did NOT have any fresh crab   May, beginning of June.  with it being told,  it was prior to their season.    So,  best would be to contact The Office directly?    Phone: (907) 945-3470    

I for one have booked as many small boat glacier and whale watch that we could fit in. You never know when one might be cancelled due to wind or mechanical breakdown. Have yourselves some alternate vendors listed for backup purposes. I've heard and read nothing but good about the full day train ride out of Skagway on the White Pass and Yukon Route. Most of the rides are very short. If you are not in Skagway on Memorial Day May 27th, I would look at the longer ride https://wpyr.com/excursions/product/bennett-scenic-journey/

On 1/4/2019 at 5:28 PM, EntrechatatSea said:

BudgetQueen,

Thank you for your honest input, I do appreciate that.

I chose the Skagway train trip because my son and I absolutely loved this excursion last May.  Interesting train and history, I had forgotten how small it really was so thanks for that reminder. Truly beautiful mountains and the numerous waterfalls were spectacular.  

Based on your information regarding the crab and Hoonah I will keep the George Inlet crab feast.  69.00 pp for all you can eat Dungeness crab is a bargain.

Keeping the Sawyer Glacier Tracy Arm tour and also the Hoonah small boat whale tour but I have decided to cancel the Major Marine Kenai Fjords tour and look at other options.  May choose a smaller tour operator.  There is the possibility we may go more low-key for that last day prior to the train to Anchorage, visiting Exit Glacier, a nice walk along the shore, do a little shopping and have a good fresh halibut meal.

Whatever we choose, we will enjoy ourselves very much.

I think you are making a great call. All of your tours sound perfect, but the Kenai Fjords will be redundant. Have you ever been to Seavey’s Ididaride in Seward? It’s a fun place if you want to learn about sled dogs. It’s also off the road to Exit Glacier.