Tours Plaza or another driving tour? And where to visit?

fl-girl

We'll be in Cozumel in March on Allure of the Seas and we'll have 6 people in our group ranging from 13 to 72. We're Floridians, so the idea of a beach day doesn't really appeal to us. We aren't drinkers either. Soooooo we thought about hiring a private driver to take us around Cozumel. The only company I've found that seems to have consistently decent reviews is Tours Plaza. We were hoping Cozumel would be our "cheap" excursion since we've booked some pricier ones elsewhere. It looks like it's $195 for the 6 of us for 3 hours. Is three hours enough to get around the island and see stuff? And what should we ask to see? We aren't really shoppers either - LOL. We like quiet out of the way places, ruins, nature, etc. 

So any advice? Is Tours Plaza the only decent one in Cozumel? Where should we go on this tour? AND... is 3 hours enough?

Thanks in advance!

42 minutes ago, fl-girl said:

We'll be in Cozumel in March on Allure of the Seas and we'll have 6 people in our group ranging from 13 to 72. We're Floridians, so the idea of a beach day doesn't really appeal to us. We aren't drinkers either. Soooooo we thought about hiring a private driver to take us around Cozumel. The only company I've found that seems to have consistently decent reviews is Tours Plaza. We were hoping Cozumel would be our "cheap" excursion since we've booked some pricier ones elsewhere. It looks like it's $195 for the 6 of us for 3 hours. Is three hours enough to get around the island and see stuff? And what should we ask to see? We aren't really shoppers either - LOL. We like quiet out of the way places, ruins, nature, etc. 

So any advice? Is Tours Plaza the only decent one in Cozumel? Where should we go on this tour? AND... is 3 hours enough?

Thanks in advance!

Have you checked out the recommended stops on their website and do any appeal? We have toured many times with them and highly recommend. Eduardo is the administrator and is very quick to respond to sny questions you may have and give suggestions for your group if you tell him what you are interested in and your time frame.

3- hours is enough time to do a quick tour round the island with one or two photo stops or snack without lingering too long in any one place.  

Punta Sur is probably your most out of the way “natural” place but requires an additional entrance fee and could take most of your time to get your money’s  worth - it is some distance off the main circuit with a lighthouse to climb for good views, lagoon, sea water. Crocodiles and beach. We visited on our very first visit tour round the island when I believe we had 5-hours including lunch but only relatively short stop at Punta Sur and didnt get to beach area. I have always wanted to return for a longer stop. Touring round the island the east side is my favorite area of Cozumel but you have to keep stopping off to appreciate it because the road for cars is not as close to the ocean as it once was so view is restricted in parts but you can stop at some beach bars, el Mirador and possibly blowholes if they are co-operating! We have enjoyed the ruins and the walk through the jungle to outlying areas but keep in mind they are VERY modest compared to mainland ruins, so many people are unimpressed - take water and bug spray and enjoy the walk. We havent done Pueblo de Maiz or Kun che but they are possibilities for non-beach activities with Mayan culture,  or chocolate or tequila factory.

Another fun excursion especially for a group your size, if you are interested in local food, would be “Cooking with Josefina”. Josefina was ill for a while but the class continued to get good reviews and I think I read she may be back now. This is a hands-on class where you help cook lunch including trip to local market to buy fresh produce.

We did a private tour booked through Tours Plaza in September and Victor was our guide. We had been to Cozumel many times and this was the best visit yet. He took us all over the island, to the tequila factory, shopping are, and to the west side (wild side) of the island where we had lunch and drinks at Coconuts. We ended up going past the 3 hours and just paid extra plus tips.