Norwegian Sun to Cuba

C cruise

1 hour ago, C cruise said:

I thought I read drink package was included for all on this very short cruise in May - its a 4 day cruise.... is anyone booked on this? or does anyone know?

It is an all inclusive cruise with an open bar. 

This is slightly different than the drinks package where you need to pay gratuities and has a slightly less restrictive drink list. The open bar is included in the cruise price. 

Edited by BirdTravels

I booked this back in September but now that I am looking at my reservation, it doesn't say anything about it ... at the time, I remember that was one of the things that made us book - complimentary open bar... hmmmm?

16 minutes ago, C cruise said:

I booked this back in September but now that I am looking at my reservation, it doesn't say anything about it ... at the time, I remember that was one of the things that made us book - complimentary open bar... hmmmm?

Look at the cruise on the ncl website. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the exact same confusion for my own sailing on 04/01 5 day Western Caribbean.

After going back and forth A LOT with customer service and my agency, we discovered that ALL Sky and Sun sailings 3-6 nights are open bar.

Like another commentor said, these are not the same packages as a true open bar and the menu is a little more restrictive.  

On 1/5/2019 at 2:52 PM, C cruise said:

I thought I read drink package was included for all on this very short cruise in May - its a 4 day cruise.... is anyone booked on this? or does anyone know?

We booked this cruise last September, UBP was just a perk. When we did the Sky to the Bahamas it was open bar.

21 hours ago, wrecklezz316 said:

I'm having the exact same confusion for my own sailing on 04/01 5 day Western Caribbean.

After going back and forth A LOT with customer service and my agency, we discovered that ALL Sky and Sun sailings 3-6 nights are open bar.

Like another commentor said, these are not the same packages as a true open bar and the menu is a little more restrictive.  

My husband and I will be on that cruise too! I didn't see a role call made for it. Do you know of one? 

we cruise to Cuba in April.  When we chose our free at sea perks we chose the Ultimate Beverage Package--but then we learned the cruise is open bar.  I have heard you get more premium beverages with the UBP--but might want to use my free at sea perk for something else if the open bar is reasonably close.  Does anyone have a list of what is different between the two (open bar for all vs the free at sea ubp)  thanks!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, amyaacc said:

we cruise to Cuba in April.  When we chose our free at sea perks we chose the Ultimate Beverage Package--but then we learned the cruise is open bar.  I have heard you get more premium beverages with the UBP--but might want to use my free at sea perk for something else if the open bar is reasonably close.  Does anyone have a list of what is different between the two (open bar for all vs the free at sea ubp)  thanks!

make sure you understand you will be charged a pretty heft fee per day/per person for that particular "free at sea" perk.  personally i'd stick with the open bar and use your perk for something else. i think the UBP includes more "premium" alcohol.

6 minutes ago, yebba said:

make sure you understand you will be charged a pretty heft fee per day/per person for that particular "free at sea" perk.  personally i'd stick with the open bar and use your perk for something else. i think the UBP includes more "premium" alcohol.

$5.80/day to cover tips would be worth it if bottled water or coffee drinks were included---which I think/hope they are

• Like 1

1 minute ago, amyaacc said:

$5.80/day to cover tips would be worth it if bottled water or coffee drinks were included---which I think/hope they are

Doesn't really mean much when you overspend $150 per person to begin with by choosing "Free At Sea".

What should be done is choosing "Sail Away" rate and getting open bar included in that.  No gratuities added and cheaper by around $150 per person.

20 minutes ago, amyaacc said:

if referring to the premium plus beverage package, it's $128/day per person. i'll be on the sky in april and that's the only option I see.  here's what it says--"Enjoy a wide selection of beverages including top shelf liquor, premium wines, water, soda, juices, and specialty coffee."  I'm good with open bar!

i will be sailing with NCL in December and we chose the "free at sea" adult beverage package which was $20/person per day. on a 14-day cruise, we felt it was worth it. all I'm saying is know what you're getting into!

That's a different cruise that is over 5 days, which means the entire ship is not open bar by default.

The confusion stems from the Norwegian Sky and Sun sailings that are 5 days are less get open bar SHIP WIDE.  If you are in a cabin, regardless of wether you picked the cheapest "Sail Away" rate or "free at sea", you will receive open bar on those sailings.

Your sailing is 14 days, so open bar is not by default.  You must pick a free at sea rate and then choose unlimited beverage package as an option.

3 minutes ago, wrecklezz316 said:

That's a different cruise that is over 5 days, which means the entire ship is not open bar by default.

The confusion stems from the Norwegian Sky and Sun sailings that are 5 days are less get open bar SHIP WIDE.  If you are in a cabin, regardless of wether you picked the cheapest "Sail Away" rate or "free at sea", you will receive open bar on those sailings.

Your sailing is 14 days, so open bar is not by default.  You must pick a free at sea rate and then choose unlimited beverage package as an option.

yes, I'm aware of all of that. I was explaining for the others. :)

When you choose the Ultimate Drink package on Free at Sea there is a service charge tacked on to the promo. If you just do the open bar cruise there is no additional service charge above the gratuity charge you pay pp/per day. Most alcoholic beverages are covered up to a certain dollar limit. I think on our Cuba Sun Cruise last year it was $14 - anything above that you pay OOP. It doesn't seem worth it to choose the Ultimate Beverage Package for the FAS promo when most of it is covered by the open bar. If you think you are going to buy drinks that are more then $14 you should call and see if you can find out pricing and then do the math.

• Like 1

Exactly.  

Let's say the "Free at Sea" rate is $150 per person more than "Sail Away" rate which is the cheapest rate you can get, which also includes open bar on these sailings.

Additionally, another $5.80 per day for 5 nights =  $29

So for $179 per person for a 5 day sailing, you will be upgraded to Premium Open Bar vs Regular Open Bar.

Not worth it at all IMO.  On these open bar sailings, I think the best way to go is "Sail Away Rate".  If insistent on "Free At Sea", then I would go with speciality dining or Free Air.

1 hour ago, wrecklezz316 said:

Exactly.  

Let's say the "Free at Sea" rate is $150 per person more than "Sail Away" rate which is the cheapest rate you can get, which also includes open bar on these sailings.

Additionally, another $5.80 per day for 5 nights =  $29

So for $179 per person for a 5 day sailing, you will be upgraded to Premium Open Bar vs Regular Open Bar.

Not worth it at all IMO.  On these open bar sailings, I think the best way to go is "Sail Away Rate".  If insistent on "Free At Sea", then I would go with speciality dining or Free Air.

Our "free at sea"  also includes free air and specialty dining so if you are thinking it is $150 more--not sure how you got that amount  (we paid $700 for ocean view plus the air, and two other perks) it sounds good to me.  I agree it is all designed for the cruise line to come out ahead.  that is why it is helpful to discuss on here.  If I make a change I would change to a wifi package instead of the premium beverage--but I am not sure I really need that either so just trying to figure what would be the best value and the most fun.  Again if bottled water and coffee drinks are included it would make the premium a good choice for me--but no one who cruised with that package has confirmed that information.

Well I can say with 99% certainty that bottled water and coffee is included. 

Look here:  https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

Scroll down to where it says Premium Plus Beverage Package (3-6 Day Norwegian Sun & Sky Cruises)\

I've also seen on another forum where bottled water and coffee was included in the "Premium" package