Great Customer Service by Royal Caribbean

lpops

I want to put in a good word for the Customer Service Representatives who work the telephones at Royal Caribbean.  They sometimes get bad press and some of it may be well deserved.  All I can do is express my personal experiences.

During September last year my wife and I got the “we gotta cruise” bug again so we went shopping on the various main stream cruise companies web sites.  We have been every other year or so cruisers since 2002.  Mostly we have booked our trips personally on line.  Our prior cruises have been with Norwegian and Princess.

We found a date and location we thought would be good and we booked a 1 Bedroom Grand Suite on the Serenade of the Seas for a 10 day Caribbean cruise departing Ft Lauderdale on 31 January 2020.   Our excitement began to build – only a year and a half to go! 

Then our situation changed and suddenly January 2010 was not a good time.  What to do?  We had made a very substantial down payment which we may have had to forfeit.  One call to RCCL later and we were booked into a “Spacious Ocean View Balcony” room on the 10 September 2019 sailing of the Radiance of the Seas from Vancouver, B.C. to Hawaii.  We had to pay a $200 change for Ship and Sail Date charge which was part and parcel of the deal we agreed to.   We made final payment and were happy with our new itinerary.  Final payments usually signal an end to bargaining.

Last week we noticed that Royal Caribbean was offering substantial savings listed as BOGO60NRD (-$3041.00) SAVINGS NRC (-$150.00) and RESIDENT NRD (-$810.00) on reservations for a Junior Suite for that itinerary.  After doing the math we realized that for a little more than the price of the Balcony we could have the JS.  Another call the RCCL (this time they answered my call by saying my name) and were booked into the bigger room, purchased “The Key”, and selected and paid for excursions at all four stops in the Hawaiian Islands.

All our dealing with Customer Service at Royal Caribbean was an absolute pleasure.  Kudos to RCCL!

• Thanks 1

Wow, rain on the parade.

Yes, they did their job.  But if you read all the complaints (most not valid IMO), then just doing their job is EXCELLENT.

We need more positive posts like this.

Oh, and BTW, many of the complaint posts, are also the reps doing their job and following the rules and the terms and conditions.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I called Royal Caribbean, told them the cruise I wanted, the cabin number, and the price I had seen online.  Told them I wanted a nonrefundable deposit.  Gave them my credit card number and other info.  An hour later I checked an email from RC which had all my information correct!!!!  Then later I checked my credit card statement and the correct amount had been charged!!!!  Excellent customer service!!!!

• Haha 1

Thank you for making the attempt to post something positive.  Most of the time cruise service is excellent, and it's people doing their jobs properly (or at least the way their supervisor tells them), and often people post complaints about how terrible it all is anyway.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with posting a comment that things are being done properly and to your satisfaction and that you appreciate it. Happy New Year.

My health is excellent, because I am not dying of cancer at age 52 (as far as I know).  That's how it should be. That's nothing of particular note.  However, I had a friend who died at 37 of cancer with three children under 5 years old.  That was terrible.  And it changed my entire mindset about what excellence is and low vs. high expectations in life and the things I appreciate, even if they may seem trivial or mundane to others.

There is something wonderful about being grateful when things are simply "as they should be."  And of being kind enough to mention it.

In May we will come up on the 15th anniversary of my friend's passing. Her husband remarried a couple of years later; her children were raised by a wonderful, loving stepmother and they have had a good life in spite of losing their mother.  I know my friend would have been deeply grateful and appreciative of this as well.  She would also love to have been able to ever take a cruise with these children as they were growing up, even if the ship had dated décor, or Old Country Buffet quality food, or whatever imperfection.

Edited by KmomChicago

3 hours ago, mugtech said:

Once again it is considered excellent customer service just because people did what they were supposed to do.  We live in a time of low expectations.

Behind every silver lining there is a dark cloud.

9 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

In May we will come up on the 15th anniversary of my friend's passing. Her husband remarried a couple of years later; her children were raised by a wonderful, loving stepmother and they have had a good life in spite of losing their mother.  I know my friend would have been deeply grateful and appreciative of this as well.  She would also love to have been able to ever take a cruise with these children as they were growing up, even if the ship had dated décor, or Old Country Buffet quality food, or whatever imperfection.

Thank you for your kind words.  I do appreciate it when someone "just does their job" because it is not always the case.  Early last year I was communicating with another cruise line concerning a Baltic trip for my wife, two eldest granddaughters and myself.  I refuse to go negative but my experience then and now was different.  We still had a great trip.

During my recent telephone calls with Royal Caribbean I spoke with 4 different individuals and each were above and beyond positive, above and beyond helpful, and above and beyond courteous.  The last two called me by my name without me having identified myself.  I know that this is all in marketing 101 but still it tickled my fancy – Oops I just aged myself.

I too had a visit from cancer two years ago when I lost my right kidney.  I don’t wish that experience on anyone but it had some really positive effects on my life.  I no longer “expect” anything.  I am just thankful when I get something.  I don’t have time to start or continue fights and cherish every second of my existence on earth.  My marriage is so much better now that I know that I am not in competition with everyone and everything.  I am much happier now than I have ever been and who needs two kidneys anyway?

Thank you again.  Have a really great day!

P.S. I am anxious to see if anyone will flame this post.  If so – please have a great day!

Edited by lpops
edited for grammer