thinking of April trip to Bermuda - need thoughts on GEM vs Escape

BarefootMom

We are going to Bermuda for our kids Spring Break as well.  This will be my 4th trip there so I have some experience.  We looked at NCL but ultimately went with Anthem of the seas due to the fact that is a a ship built for colder weather.  First trip was in Mid may and we had a balcony.  Due to the temp and the wind we were unable to use it until we got to Bermuda--still nice to have though.   The temps were on the chilly side to go into the water but kids...they really don't care.  Life guards are not on scene in Horsehoe until 5/1 or at least that was the case then.  The other beaches that are smaller don't have lifeguards anyway.  Portuguese Men of War were a problem that year and are seen in Spring and early summer.  The year we went we were not able to enter the water at Elbow Beach due to them being right there...no thanks lol.

That said...there are a ton of things to do on Bermuda such as climbing to the top of Gibbs lighthouse, Royal Naval Dockyard (we did a Segway tour), Fort Catherine, Unfinished Church, Caves, Biking trail, Hamilton/Dockyard parties at night, finding all of the hidden little beaches like Jobson Cove, Swizzle inn...so good.  

Key is that you need to have a ship that has a lot to do for colder weather.  We are looking forward to Ifly for example and the escape room, Northstar (eh for me), our kids loved the Seaplex and arcade.  I know this is an NCL board but it might be an option to look into and you want to consider them all.  Feel free to PM me with any questions.  Whatever you pick, it will be a fab vacation.

I like the Gem and the Escape.    You will be happy with both ships!

Mini Suite cabins are not a part of the Haven.     

It may still be chilly in late April, definitely for the cruise to Bermuda it could be really cold.   Given that it could be really cold, I'd probably not spend the extra effort and time and hassle to get to NYC if Boston is in your back yard.    The waterfront on the Escape is really nice but if you will have several days cruising where it is cold, you won't want to be out there like that probably.   

I'd probably pick the Gem.   

I would choose the GEM personally.  I have not sailed the Escape, but have sailed on Breakaway.  Breakaway was great, but I just love the mid-ship (not small and not large) of the Gem.  Make no mistake, it is gigantic.  Just not nearly as gigantic as Escape.  As stated, it is a personal thing that I can not explain or even comprehend my self.  I just like the 90,000 tonners.  

7 hours ago, Libra1012 said:

I find leaving from Boston easier.  However, leaving from NYC is much more interesting.  

Very true.  I'll admit I haven't sailed from every major cruise port in the world, but I can't imagine many approaching New York.  A few pics taken from the Escape on departure:

XA2T1A3343.thumb.jpg.e11bd6790c71503112f1cf84b1420ca4.jpg

XA2T1A3358.jpg

I would say go with the Escape. The drive to NYC isn't that bad from Boston (CT resident here).

Because of your teens there is so much more to do on the Escape. I will also implore you to sign your teens up and have them go to the club early in the cruise. The teen club has lots to do in a parent free zone. The teens do activities together, have games, dances, etc. This is also your oldest's last chance to enjoy the club so the last time they can do it together, send them. The adults can spend time in H2O, teens not allowed there. Everyone should be happy.

The ship itself has water slides, ropes course, rock climbing wall all at no extra charge. 

If the price of the cruise is within your budget and no huge gap choosing one vs the other, go with the Escape.

As for the Haven/suite perks. Currently if you book a balcony you'll get all the perks, so no need to book the suite for that feature, but book the Haven if that's your heart's content good luck with the bid process. 

8 hours ago, NH Cruisers said:

I would choose the GEM personally.  Make no mistake, it is gigantic.  Just not nearly as gigantic as Escape.  As stated, it is a personal thing that I can not explain or even comprehend my self.  I just like the 90,000 tonners.  

Hate to burst your bubble, but 90 K ton Gem is far from gigantic.  The Carnival fleet goes from 70-135, Celebrity goes from 90-130, Princess goes from 77-141, Royal goes from 74-230 and NCL goes from 77-169.  A 90K ton ship is at the lower end of every major mainstream cruise line in North America.

I can't speak to departing from NYC, but we have cruised out of Boston 2x and loved it.  We live about 30min south of Boston, so we had family/friends drop us off and pick us up.  Getting in was easy and relaxing - we could sleep late and not stress about about having to catch a flight/train, and it was nice to know that once we got off the ship, we would be home soon (provided 128S wasn't backed up with an accident!). 

Depending on where you live, you can also take public transportation in to the Seaport.  The Red Line will take you to South Station where you can then hop on the Silver Line.

I'd do the Escape. There will be much more for your kids (and you) to do, and the sail out of NYC is pretty spectacular. Boston's sailaway is pretty, but it's not in the same league as NYC's.

We cruised to Bermuda on the Escape at the end of April last year (on the 29th) and found it to be very nice weather in Bermuda. Not super hot, but pleasant. The water was a bit cool for swimming -- it was 71 degrees -- but that's easily swimmable for someone like me who grew up going to the New Jersey beaches during the summer. If you folks are used to swimming at local beaches in the New England area during the summer, Bermuda in April won't be a problem.

Another consideration: you mentioned suites. Because the Escape is bigger, there are a greater number of suites onboard that you can bid up to. We're cruising in March on the Gem and most of the suites on our sailing are already sold out -- we put in a couple bids, but there just aren't that many suites to begin with, so I don't like our chances for getting one. I'd say that you'd be more likely to score a suite on the Escape, plus the Haven area on the Escape is great.

We bid up last year on the Escape and scored a 2BR suite for a couple thousand less than what it would have gone for outright. It still wasn't cheap, but it was manageable, and the extra space was wonderful. Such a room would probably be perfect for you and yours.

I thought of something else: the itinerary on the Escape is better (in my opinion) than the Gem's. Boston - Bermuda cruises leave on a Friday, have a single sea day, then arrive on Sunday afternoon, when a lot of places in Bermuda are closed, and public transportation is less frequent. Then there are two sea days on the way back, which are nice, but because you're on your way home, I always felt like it was my vacation ending in slow motion.

I much preferred leaving out of  NYC on a Sunday, spending Monday and Tuesday at sea (and thoroughly unwinding), then having Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday in Bermuda. The two sea days are more enjoyable for me going to Bermuda, rather than coming from. It's a more balanced itinerary.

Edited by dcipjr

90000 Ton ship is gigantic, twice the size of the Titanic.  It is gigantic, just no where near the biggest.  One day the OASIS CLASS  ships may be categorized as mid- size.  Look at the GEM next to a WWII aircraft carrier (USS Intrepid), the Gem dwarfs it.  Is an elephant a gigantic animal?  Yes...  but not next to a blue whale, or even a mid-sized whale like a humpback.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:59 AM, SNJCruisers said:

Hate to burst your bubble, but 90 K ton Gem is far from gigantic.  The Carnival fleet goes from 70-135, Celebrity goes from 90-130, Princess goes from 77-141, Royal goes from 74-230 and NCL goes from 77-169.  A 90K ton ship is at the lower end of every major mainstream cruise line in North America.

1 hour ago, NH Cruisers said:

90000 Ton ship is gigantic, twice the size of the Titanic.  It is gigantic, just no where near the biggest.  One day the OASIS CLASS  ships may be categorized as mid- size.  Look at the GEM next to a WWII aircraft carrier (USS Intrepid), the Gem dwarfs it.  Is an elephant a gigantic animal?  Yes...  but not next to a blue whale, or even a mid-sized whale like a humpback.

It's 2019 and the Titanic no longer floats so why are you comparing the Gem to it or the USS Intrepid?  I compared the Gem to the weight range of all of the comparable mainstream lines that NCL competes with and 90 K is far from gigantic, when the smallest are the older ships from Carnival that are 70 K and of course the largest are the Behemoths from RCI at 230 K.