Gratuities on NCL

ERIN123

Yes.  Mainstream cruise lines all have an automatic gratuity mechanism.

Norwegian explicitly says that it's different, that they don't have required or recommended gratuities.  They try to make you think that there's something you have to pay on other lines, that you don't have to pay them.

And then they add in a different charge, that no other cruise line has.

Would it be OK for them to say "Unlike the other lines, we don't make you pay port charges", and then hide in the fine print a "Government support fee" that was the same amount?

And yes... my plan going forward is to avoid NCL as long as they have this verbiage in their materials.  If they move to the same verbiage as the other lines, where they don't claim to be special, then I might consider them... but I also plan to give preference to lines where there is no additional charge of any kind for routine service.

But because this is the kind of thing that you find out *after* you've paid for your non-refundable tickets, I'm stuck with three alternatives, all unpleasant:  (a) eat it, (b) refuse it, or (c) make my travel agent eat it, because he screwed up and said in writing that the price that he quoted included everything.

Anyhow, everybody has to do what they think is right.  The contract makes it clear that the fee is discretionary.

On 2/20/2019 at 6:03 AM, ZsaZsa2019 said:

We chose to prepay our daily service charge so we don't have to deal with it on ship.  I consider that tips, but sounds like additional tipping with cash is becoming a bit more of the norm?  Are people leaving cash on the table at specialty dining (we have the "free" dining perk) even tho gratuities have been included?  I can see a few bucks to a good bartender here and there...........

The thing is....your "free dining promo" still requires you to pay 20% gratuity. Same with the "free open bar" promo.  They decide what the value of each is and you are charged 20% upfront for each. Same for spa  packages or drinks bought onboard for those without drink package. 20% automatically added. 

(Remember, port tax can be added to drinks if you are still in port)

So, when the waiter brings us the check and points to the tip line and adds this is for the gratuity, I do have an issue with that.  We do give extra in cash, depending on service.

Daily Service Charge - DSC is now $15.00pp/day so $30.00 a day is added to final cost of cruise. If you are in Suites or above, it is $18.00/pp/day.  So, that would be $36.00 per day to cover many who work behind the scenes and those we interact with.   We have no problem paying this. 

Sometimes it is the behavior of waitstaff, if we leave gratuity  line blank, they react as if we have stiffed them of the tip.

Edited by phissy

20 minutes ago, phissy said:

Sometimes it is the behavior of waitstaff, if we leave gratuity  line blank, they react as if we have stiffed them of the tip.

I'd politely remind any crew member that reacted this way, that I've already paid a $15.00 daily service charge that is intended to be a gratuity plus a 20% service charge to eat in their restaurant. If they don't feel the direct impact of this, oh well, not my problem. There are no more funds available and they are free to take up any displeasure about this directly with their employer, not me. I have no issue with leaving the tip line blank and, expect to continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

I know that this is really a well debated topic. All I can say is that in my opinion the daily service

charge is because of freestyle cruising and not having the same waitstaff, etc. Another reason is

that there  is a segment of the population that does not want to pay anything

other than the cruise fare is because of the customs of the country they live in or they are just

plain unwilling to tip anybody anything for their own reasons. So...I leave the service charge in place

and tip extra to those I feel  went the extra mile. The others can make their own decisions based on their

values/comfort level.