Drinks Cost (alcoholic)

ERIN123

6 minutes ago, Buford T Justiice said:

Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person. Additional main courses will be charged at the a la carte price listed on the menu.

Additional sides should be free.

Yes . pretzels66 was referring to extra fee restaurants . In the non fee MDR you can order multiple entrees . Most people would have difficulty eating a second entree at the extra fee places . It's a lot of food !

Edited by richstowe

15 minutes ago, richstowe said:

Yes . pretzels66 was referring to extra fee restaurants . In the non fee MDR you can order multiple entrees . Most people would have difficulty eating a second entree at the extra fee places . It's a lot of food !

Pretzels66 said the dining perk only covered the main course and everything else is ala carte.  That is incorrect.  You do get only one main course but everything else is included and usually multiple appetizers or desserts if you want.

Edited by senseib

13 hours ago, ERIN123 said:

Wow that's crazy! Other lines you get all the food you want for free. They really seem to nickel and dime you on NCL.

this is if you get the specialty dining package that is a free perk,, read the fine print at the bottom, I talked to an NCL person yesterday and he confirmed this.  they have  many complitmentary food everywhere else

On 1/8/2019 at 5:26 PM, UnicornsAreReal said:

We have recently returned from a cruise on Spirit and didnt take the drinks package as it was $99 per person per day for 3 of us. $3267 for 11 nights! 

So we decided on pay as we go as we’re not big drinkers.  However, we found the drinks expensive particularly as 20% tax and gratuities are added but the main issue was the quality of the drinks were inconsistent - mostly poor.  Cocktails tasted of mainly cordial with little or no alcohol and under volume too.  If you had the drinks package it wouldnt be so bad as you just order another, but when a round of drinks for 3 came to $45, then you feel like you are being ripped off.  

Agree that the quality of drinks at most of the bars is poor. 

2 hours ago, pretzels66 said:

this is if you get the specialty dining package that is a free perk,, read the fine print at the bottom, I talked to an NCL person yesterday and he confirmed this.  they have  many complitmentary food everywhere else

Not to derail the thread, but @pretzels66, you are spreading some SERIOUS misinformation. The SDP includes one entree and unlimited appetizers and desserts per meal. There are some specialty restaurants that aren't covered by the SDP. Maybe that is what has you confused? There are also some restaurants where, if you use the SDP, you still have to pay an up-charge. It's all pretty clearly spelled out in the terms and conditions which restaurants are covered, which aren't, and which require an up-charge.

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

I have sailed on NCL three times in the last year and will be sailing again in February and April. I have used the SDP on each sailing. I am 100% confident that it covers one entree and unlimited appetizers and desserts at the included restaurants with a la cart pricing (like Cagney's and Le Bistro). At restaurants with a single price (like Moderno) it covers the full price.

• Thanks 1

IN WHICH VENUES WILL MY SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED?

Specialty dining packages are honored in the following specialty restaurants: Steakhouse, French, Italian, Churrascaria, Teppanyaki, Mexican, BBQ and Margaritaville at Sea.

Guests may also choose to dine in other select restaurants, with the following per person upcharges when using their SDP meal:

• Bayamo - $10 USD
  • Cirque Dreams- $10 USD regular seats / $15 USD premium seats / $35 USD VIP seating (Breakaway)
  • Ocean Blue - $10 USD (Except Seafood Extravaganza)
  • Pincho Tapas Bar - $7 USD
  • Sushi -$7 USD
  • Supper Club - $15 USD
  • Cabaret - $18 USD

Keep in mind that not all restaurants are on every ship.

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Not to derail the thread, but @pretzels66, you are spreading some SERIOUS misinformation. The SDP includes one entree and unlimited appetizers and desserts per meal. There are some specialty restaurants that aren't covered by the SDP. Maybe that is what has you confused? There are also some restaurants where, if you use the SDP, you still have to pay an up-charge. It's all pretty clearly spelled out in the terms and conditions which restaurants are covered, which aren't, and which require an up-charge.

I have sailed on NCL three times in the last year and will be sailing again in February and April. I have used the SDP on each sailing. I am 100% confident that it covers one entree and unlimited appetizers and desserts at the included restaurants with a la cart pricing (like Cagney's and Le Bistro). At restaurants with a single price (like Moderno) it covers the full price.

Thanks Jamie you beat me in clarifying this.

5 minutes ago, phillyguy31 said:

Thanks Jamie you beat me in clarifying this.

sorry, I was just showed the fine print from a friend and this is what he told me for the specialty restaurants and the free packages...sorry if I messed someone up...but I do know I was being charged 277.00 in gratuities  for the drink package and I declined because of it...it was automatically added to my bill

17 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

sorry if I messed you up on the free package for specialty dining, I got this from a friend and he showed me the fine print about paying, so sorry, but for sure I was being charged 277.00 for the gratuities on drink package so I declined.

Unless you drink nothing at all I think people are crazy if they do not include the Drink Package.

And some one stated earlier folks never post the true diffidence in cost when they do the sail away.

You really are not saving much at all I think folks are just going on the cheap and they complain when they get there tab. Drinks are very expensive on NCL and most lines they add 20% to every order. Beers are $8 and average non premium drinks are $12 wine is even $10 after the 20% is added. And forget about all the fancy drinks they will cost you $15 a few of those by the pool and your out $45 then a couple wines with dinner that is up to $65 and you will not be in any way wasted.

You are going to ruin your trip looking up your bill constantly and cutting back cause your tab is getting expensive creating a not so enjoyable trip.

2 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

You are going to ruin your trip looking up your bill constantly and cutting back cause your tab is getting expensive creating a not so enjoyable trip.

This!!!! So many people overlook the VALUE of not having to stress about how much you are spending on drinks. It is sooooooo much nicer to just swipe your card and go and not worry about it at all. Having to sign receipts, constantly keeping a running tally of how much your are spending, feeling like you HAVE to finish a drink to get your "money's worth", not being willing to try something new in case you end up not liking it.... All of that could seriously detract from the QUALITY of your vacation. Might you save a few bucks buying drinks individually and not getting the drink package? Maybe, but think long and hard what the additional stress will "cost" you in terms of enjoyment.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

This!!!! So many people overlook the VALUE of not having to stress about how much you are spending on drinks. It is sooooooo much nicer to just swipe your card and go and not worry about it at all. Having to sign receipts, constantly keeping a running tally of how much your are spending, feeling like you HAVE to finish a drink to get your "money's worth", not being willing to try something new in case you end up not liking it.... All of that could seriously detract from the QUALITY of your vacation. Might you save a few bucks buying drinks individually and not getting the drink package? Maybe, but think long and hard what the additional stress will "cost" you in terms of enjoyment.

Agree 100% with you Jaimie!

13 hours ago, pretzels66 said:

sorry, I was just showed the fine print from a friend and this is what he told me for the specialty restaurants and the free packages...sorry if I messed someone up...but I do know I was being charged 277.00 in gratuities  for the drink package and I declined because of it...it was automatically added to my bill

Yes, the 277 was the 20% gratuity for two people for a seven day cruise.  You obviously are a teetotaler that does not drink so you made the right decision for you.  Those that like to imbibe will have blown past their 20.00 by lunchtime and then it's all gravy.

7 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Yes, the 277 was the 20% gratuity for two people for a seven day cruise.  You obviously are a teetotaler that does not drink so you made the right decision for you.  Those that like to imbibe will have blown past their 20.00 by lunchtime and then it's all gravy.

Teetotaler OR blown past their 20.00 by lunchtime ? Wow . How about a third category, moderate drinkers . On cruises without a drink package our drink total has never been above $277 when you don't include , as Norwegian doesn't, premium coffees , water , smoothies and whole bottles of wine . On cruises with a drink package , sure we went over that because, why not .

So teetotaler or blown past  20.00 every day by lunchtime , yes there is a third option .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, detroitlions said:

Unless you drink nothing at all I think people are crazy if they do not include the Drink Package.

And some one stated earlier folks never post the true diffidence in cost when they do the sail away.

You really are not saving much at all I think folks are just going on the cheap and they complain when they get there tab. Drinks are very expensive on NCL and most lines they add 20% to every order. Beers are $8 and average non premium drinks are $12 wine is even $10 after the 20% is added. And forget about all the fancy drinks they will cost you $15 a few of those by the pool and your out $45 then a couple wines with dinner that is up to $65 and you will not be in any way wasted.

5 minutes ago, pretzels66 said:

I agree with you,,i guess what im saying is..i have never been charged gratuities up front on a free drink package!  I have been on many other lines and free drink packages did not add to my before sail bill

15 hours ago, 300dtc said:

Agree 100% with you Jaimie!

so true,  I am fortunate to go on many vacations in one year,  but if this is your one vaca per year live it up.  being retired I go on many which is why I have to curb spending at times.  so sailaway is good for me.  not always but most of the time.  as I stressed before on other ships I just wasn't charged gratuities up front for free drinks. 

1 hour ago, pretzels66 said:

so true,  I am fortunate to go on many vacations in one year,  but if this is your one vaca per year live it up.  being retired I go on many which is why I have to curb spending at times.  so sailaway is good for me.  not always but most of the time.  as I stressed before on other ships I just wasn't charged gratuities up front for free drinks. 

Since you state you were not charged upfront for drink it was expected you tip at the time of the drink? If that is the case that would be a real pain to do, either carry cash around or sign a tip slip each time. My feeling is that if I get a free meal in a restaurant for what ever reason I tip on what the meal should have cost with the freebie. Yes it would be nice if NCL included tips and sometimes they do include that as a perk as well. The other question is what other cruise lines were you referring to?

3 hours ago, richstowe said:

Teetotaler OR blown past their 20.00 by lunchtime ? Wow . How about a third category, moderate drinkers . On cruises without a drink package our drink total has never been above $277 when you don't include , as Norwegian doesn't, premium coffees , water , smoothies and whole bottles of wine . On cruises with a drink package , sure we went over that because, why not .

So teetotaler or blown past  20.00 every day by lunchtime , yes there is a third option .

One beer with lunch and either a bloody Mary or mimosa with breakfast and you have surpassed your 20.00 by lunchtime.  This is not drinking a six pack and throwing back a shot each time.  Two drinks in the six hours from 800-200 is moderate drinking for many.  If you consider it over indulging, you're closer to a teetotaler than you think, IMHO.  But maybe you're part of the brie and Chardonnay crowd.  Whatever floats your boat on vacation is all good.

26 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

One beer with lunch and either a bloody Mary or mimosa with breakfast and you have surpassed your 20.00 by lunchtime.  This is not drinking a six pack and throwing back a shot each time.  Two drinks in the six hours from 800-200 is moderate drinking for many.  If you consider it over indulging, you're closer to a teetotaler than you think, IMHO.  But maybe you're part of the brie and Chardonnay crowd.  Whatever floats your boat on vacation is all good.

Rereading your comments and mine I am sorry that the impression left that I was being judgemental . You are right , "Whatever floats your boat on vacation is all good." ! You are also correct , brie and Chardonnay are great ! 😉

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, phillyguy31 said:

Since you state you were not charged upfront for drink it was expected you tip at the time of the drink? If that is the case that would be a real pain to do, either carry cash around or sign a tip slip each time. My feeling is that if I get a free meal in a restaurant for what ever reason I tip on what the meal should have cost with the freebie. Yes it would be nice if NCL included tips and sometimes they do include that as a perk as well. The other question is what other cruise lines were you referring to?

we usually always just present our card when getting drinks on any cruse line, tip is always added on automatically.  NCL was the first FREE package we have been offered where they charged gratuities on our upfront bill, it was 277.,,,i stated I  may  not drink that much in tips so the FREE package wasn't really free for me..i will be drinking heavily the week before on land with friends, I may not want to look at another drink on the cruise:)..so for me not a FREE package.  for others who vaca once a year and drink heavily go for it