Buying amber pieces

KarimaJ

I know about the amber museum, still trying to decide if we will go there. My question is, do they sell the amber pieces anywhere else in port? And for those who went to the museum what was the price range of the pieces? Thanks!!

I think its worth checking out.  The museum is nothing fancy but still cool and they do have a couple of really nice pieces on display.

The store at the Amber Museum was quite reasonable to me.  We ended up buying a Larimar ring for my wife there (amber is available other places, Larimar is DR only), I'd have to check the price, but it certainly seemed ok at the time and there was not a lot of sales pressure.   They had options from $50 to $8,000 in terms of Amber, it depends on the color, if anything is in it, what its set in, etc.    I'd say the prices were slightly less than one store we poked in at the port area (everything in the port area seemed pricey, Carnival must charge decent rent and they know they have a captive audience. 

Worth noting service wise - our guide from Marysol took us there and recommended it to purchase (I am sure he gets a cut, but they still want a good rep - he took us to a great souvenir shop too) - they did not have the ring in her size but offered to remount the stone in a new ring and deliver the ring to us later on the tour.  It was a bit of a risk, but 2 hours late they called and sent someone on a bike to meet us at the fort, the ring was perfect.    That's good service and we know they make at least some of the jewelry in house or at least locally.

I am sure there are other local jewelers in the downtown area who are equally reasonable and good, but I don't think you will go wrong at the Museum.

• Like 1

both Larimar and Amber are complete rip off in DR in my opinion. Prices on ship were cheaper and quality is better and anything on the ship is far cry from the "good deal" range. I am talking price after extensive bargaining. First named prices were like they were selling diamonds in platinum and not larimar in silver. My 0.02

Similar ring on ship was about $20 more than we paid if I recall.   Of course no way to tell if quality of silver was the same.

Amber pricing seemed a bit high for some things, but if you just want something basic, I'd rather spend $50 on the island than even $45 on ship.

• Like 1