Kona - renting a car for a few hours

kaymoz

We want to rent a car for our port time in Kona with POA.  Does anyone know of any alternatives to reserving one for pick up at the hotel near the pier (at well over $100 for our 7 hour day) OR going all the way to the airport to collect and return it, which has its own costs?

Edited by kaymoz
grammar

5 hours ago, kaymoz said:

We want to rent a car for our port time in Kona with POA.  Does anyone know of any alternatives to reserving one for pick up at the hotel near the pier (at well over $100 for our 7 hour day) OR going all the way to the airport to collect and return it, which has its own costs?

We looked up Hertz at the hotel and found basic rate for compacts running $65.00 per day (Ford Focus or similar) and full-size &82.00 per day (Chevy Malibu or similar).  Wonder why the difference in the quote you got and the one we got?  

44 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We looked up Hertz at the hotel and found basic rate for compacts running $65.00 per day (Ford Focus or similar) and full-size &82.00 per day (Chevy Malibu or similar).  

Silver Sweethearts -- I do hope you will tell me how you found this for the hotel by the pier!!

56 minutes ago, kaymoz said:

Silver Sweethearts -- I do hope you will tell me how you found this for the hotel by the pier!!

We did a dummy booking, but were guessing at your arrival date since we didn't look at your history.  We were just looking for a price quote.  The prices we got were for next month.

The Dollar car rental at the King Kam hotel (now a Marriott) is a great time saver, but they have a limited number of cars and reservations do book up early.    If they're booked, try Enterprise - call the local office (not the nationwide toll free number) and see if they will pick you up at the cruise pier.    They used to do it, but don't know about current situation.   

I did call Enterprise, and at first it seemed all they had were hundred+ dollar cars, but then I asked something in the vein of 'don't you have something that costs less' and the rep said there was an SUV for $84, so I reserved that!  Thank you all for the tips! 

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

this is the site that I have used on my last 2 visits to Hawaii. Mock bookings show reasonable rates for the convenience. I rented at the King Kam in Kona for just over $50 and spent the afternoon at  Pu’unhonua o Honaunau Heritage National Park. It’s an easy drive to a gem of a park. There’s ranger talks and you can see all sorts of fishes trapped in pools formed from lava.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 8:02 AM, lamchops said:

https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

this is the site that I have used on my last 2 visits to Hawaii. Mock bookings show reasonable rates for the convenience. I rented at the King Kam in Kona for just over $50 and spent the afternoon at  Pu’unhonua o Honaunau Heritage National Park. It’s an easy drive to a gem of a park. There’s ranger talks and you can see all sorts of fishes trapped in pools formed from lava.

We just booked using this site. May 2, 0900-1800, $47 using Thrifty, pick up at the hotel.