Excursions in Australia & New Zealand

We are on the Sea Princess back to back cruises; 1st one from Bisbane February 17 to Queensland, the 2nd one leaves the 24th for New Zealand.  Has anyone been on the Princess excursions to the Great Barrier Reef out of Port Douglas that can comment if this is a good excursion, considering the number of people and the pricey charge.  Was considering a private tour company but am concerned about the reliability of getting us back to the ship in time.  

Also looking at the Princess excursion in Akaroa, New Zealand that visits Mt. Sunday, Lord of Rings area. This too is a long and pricey excursion through Princess.  Has anyone taken this excursion and thought it was worth while.  All the reviews I read said the landscape was amazing and the length of the trip (9hours) was worth it.  I would appreciate any feed back anyone has that has done this excursion.

Thank you,

Heyjude555

I have not done the Princess version but have done a Celebrity ship's tour to the reef. They are all very similar as in pick you up from the ship, take you to the reef and a pontoon where you can snorkel, swim, dive go for a glass bottom boat ride, slide and also get lunch.

They are well worth doing from the ship, as privately takes longer (from the shore) which leaves less time at the reef and they are priced similarly.

3 hours ago, Heyjude555 said:

We are on the Sea Princess back to back cruises; 1st one from Bisbane February 17 to Queensland, the 2nd one leaves the 24th for New Zealand.  Has anyone been on the Princess excursions to the Great Barrier Reef out of Port Douglas that can comment if this is a good excursion, considering the number of people and the pricey charge.  Was considering a private tour company but am concerned about the reliability of getting us back to the ship in time.

I was on the December version of this cruise. In Port Douglas I very much doubt that you can actually get to a private excursion in time to leave in the morning. Maybe if you can get priority tendering.

I think the ship's excursion would be your only real option.

On my cruise, the Sea Princess actually had to overnight in Cairns because of engine failure. We got to Port Douglas very late and all excursions were cancelled.

4 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I was on the December version of this cruise. In Port Douglas I very much doubt that you can actually get to a private excursion in time to leave in the morning. Maybe if you can get priority tendering.

On my cruise, the Sea Princess actually had to overnight in Cairns because of engine failure. We got to Port Douglas very late and all excursions were cancelled.

That was unfortunate for those affected.

3 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I agree with your comments on reaching the port in time to go on a tour for Airlie Beach, but not for Port Douglas. Reef Sprinter operates tours from Port Douglas to the outer reef and also to the Low Isles. They use small jet boats so can get to the reef very quickly. I have gone on tours with them a couple of times and they are brilliant.