Marella Enchanting Far East -any reviews or excursion recommendations please?

Good idea PC, some tend to take such advice for granted but it's essential to pack a few bits in your hand luggage including rolled up pair of shorts, Tshirt or similar and comfortable light foot wear. We tend to wear light clothing for the flight anyway with a fleece or similar to cover against the weather here when arriving and returning to Gatwick airport.  Toothpaste etc. are provided on the plane so I don't bother with toiletries.  Stocking up with snacks for the return journey to keep you going between the ship and plane is good advice from Sylvia but this seems to be unique to Utapao airport which appears to be ill equipped to cope with a large number of passengers in a short space of time.

Yes warm enough to sit outside at night,

coaches we went on were very comfortable.

we were given 3 days notice that Cambodia was cancelled due to the port not being able to accommodate us.they gave us an extra day in Singapore and £25 obc.

i love Singapore but have been there several times so was disappointed to miss Cambodia as I have never been there

Hi Sylvia,

we are doing kuala lumpur on the marella on your own trip we want to go up the petronas towers,

do you think we would be o.k booking tickets for around 11-00, would that allow us enough time for the bus getting into kuala lumpur,

thanks for any help you can give me.

redsails.  

PC's idea of stocking up on essentials from the Snack Shack is excellent, the only problem could be if any food is taken off you as you go air side.  In which case eat whilst still land side (if the opportunity presents itself)!

PS Only 39 days 8 hours to go (not that I'm counting!!)

The Facebook page has tons of info from people who have been on the cruise and also people who are arranging to share taxis or tours etc on their upcoming cruises...theres lot's of recommendations and info on the tours ie picking up dropping and off times, also lots of fab pictures the cruise looks amazing !! 

Does anyone know if there is an iron and ironing board in the suite cabins?  In previous cruises with Thomson the ships had them in the cabins but I can't find any reference to them on Discovery.

We do have a limited pressing service available but no mention of cabin irons

Ta in anticipation :classic_huh:

35 minutes ago, cuisign said:

Does anyone know if there is an iron and ironing board in the suite cabins?  In previous cruises with Thomson the ships had them in the cabins but I can't find any reference to them on Discovery.

We do have a limited pressing service available but no mention of cabin irons

Ta in anticipation :classic_huh:

We were on Discovery 2 about 13 months ago and there was no iron or board on her. I believe she is an identical sister ship. My wife bought a Hinari travel iron at £9 from Argos and it worked really well. The Disco 2 cabin staff made no objection to it's use. It's light at 0.7 kg. Must remember to pack it for the 20th March trip.

Talking of March, I see Tui's online cruise bookings site has no more March sailings for Asia. Guess the publicity about her earlier technical difficulties, didn't impact too much on sales.

Edited by MrSilversurf
spelling

Personally I think straighteners left on on the bed are the biggest risk to fire. Friends of mine had guests staying and they all went out to dinner when they got back their house had gone!! Burnt to the ground as the female guest had done just that.

Wow.....well that one got me a load of replies - many thanks to everyone who responded.

We do have a light modern travelling iron which is light and folds up into its own travelling case.  When we use it we always unplug anyway as a precaution.

I'm hoping that there will be more information on excursions coming up as the flights return (Thursdays at Gatwick plus others).

I'm planning our excursions now and the advice so far has been very helpful.  Google Street Scene is also very useful in finding where interesting places are in relation to the ports, some seem to be very close and I think that a taxi (or tuk tuk) would be a better bet for some.

Ps. Found the iron at the back of the holiday cupboard!! 

Also found a travelling steam iron that I'd forgotten about, so well set up now.

Does anyone know if the shopping and food facilities at UTapao airport are as dire as Lankawi?

If so (as Pension Cruiser suggests) we'll stock up at the Snack Shack before leaving the boat as our flight isn't until 5pm.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:41 PM, Vitalsign said:

Personally I think straighteners left on on the bed are the biggest risk to fire. Friends of mine had guests staying and they all went out to dinner when they got back their house had gone!! Burnt to the ground as the female guest had done just that.

My memory has always been bad but has got worse since retirement. Fortunately my wife remembered that irons and hair curlers etc on Disco 1 and 2 were once banned. However, since the refurbishments in 2015, a lot of new safety features were added.

You remember the boarding passes you get when you embark? I believe they have a bar code and you can use them for purchasing drinks and eats (if you wish to stray from the freebie stuff). It also allows you to enter your cabin. As you enter there's a slot in the wall. You shove your boarding pass into it and the room lights etc, switches on. When you EXIT the room, the last person removes the boarding card from the slot and EVERYTHING switches off.

It's obviously best practice to curl and iron just before leaving for a meal, rather than just before bedtime 🙂

We're planning to 'do' the Lankawi cable car trip by taxi.  Anyone have thoughts on that is it a wise move?  The ship is only in port till 4pm that day and if there are queue's we don't want to miss the boat!🙄

Ideas or experience there would be greatly appreciated.

Cuisign

On 2/4/2019 at 10:17 AM, cuisign said:

We're planning to 'do' the Lankawi cable car trip by taxi.  Anyone have thoughts on that is it a wise move?  The ship is only in port till 4pm that day and if there are queue's we don't want to miss the boat!🙄

Ideas or experience there would be greatly appreciated.

Cuisign

Hi we go tomorrow and have arranged to do this ourselves 

there is loads of information about DIY trips on the facebook page