Dinner on the Edge

Cockatoos

I have read information that you cant book Dinner on the Edge until you board and this event only occurs once per cruise. But I would like to know if you did experience this dining, what did you think and what was on the menu? Is it worth the additional charge?

• Haha 1

You can pre book all Main dinning before boarding and while on the ship using the app. If you don't want the trouble of the app while on board and like to have your times sorted, I suggest  you go on line now and book 

They have 4 main dinning rooms included in your price. All have a different theme with about 20% of the menu related to that theme, one being the Tuscan with Italian,  Normandie has French, Cyprus has Mediterranean and last of all Cosmopolitan  which is classed as Global. The other 80% of the menu is what you would have expected to have in the old type main dinning. 

If you like your evening meal at the same time each night I suggest you get online and book them now that way you have your times you want and you can get to try them all out

I hope this helps you

Yes, it is true that you can only book Dinner on the Edge upon boarding. It is weather-dependent so they can't schedule it too far ahead (or at least that is what I was told).

I did a Dinner on the Magic Carpet on 5 one night and it was a la carte seafood/sushi. That was worth the cost - you just ordered what you want - it was a total of $60 for us. It is a lovely venue at night and we watched the sun set.

I have seen a couple of reviews of Dinner on the Edge on 16 and both said it was good, but were not sure it was worth the money (I was told $75 PP, but not sure that is the current cost). Here is the post for one of them (post #71).

Edited by vtcruising

Thanks for posting that VT (and for starting the thread OP); had been curious about this myself. Surprised to hear it is a buffet. Wonder if it will transition to a coursed out dinner at some point (which is what I had been envisioning). Guess with having no kitchen near by that might be too impractical. Definitely will take a pass if it is $75 for the buffet spread in the review linked by VT.

On 1/11/2019 at 2:43 PM, Gonzo70 said:

Thanks for posting that VT (and for starting the thread OP); had been curious about this myself. Surprised to hear it is a buffet. Wonder if it will transition to a coursed out dinner at some point (which is what I had been envisioning). Guess with having no kitchen near by that might be too impractical. Definitely will take a pass if it is $75 for the buffet spread in the review linked by VT.

That makes sense about the kitchen - I guess it would be hard to run up hot food for 75 or more people. A buffet makes more sense. We really enjoyed our deck 5 MC dinner. It was laid back and fun and less expensive. The menu was a bit limited, but we found plenty that we liked.

We had an Asian salad, a cold platter of shrimp, oysters, lobster, crab and shrimp tempura rolls. It was all delicious and we had great cocktails and a nice wine with it. They have a great bar out there. It was about $60 for both of us (had premium alcohol pkg). If we don't do get on the Dinner on the Edge, we may do this again, if offered, or at least will do one lunch here or at Raw on 5. My recommendation is to not sit at the rail unless your are in port or there is no wind. We started there but moved closer to the ship and still had a nice view without the wind.

image.thumb.png.17fbd122e9b660ab08d5786c3a48f238.png

When I was onboard in December, it was still a work in progress. I'll report on any updates next week. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It has been fairly difficult to get reservations at Edge restaurants this week once onboard.  A lot of waitlists.  

Another thing to mention here.  We dined in Fine Cut last night 8 pm reservation.  They sat us at the rail beside the grand plaza.  Incredibly noisy as a band was playing.  And every time the bartenders did a drink-balance- pour everybody would rush to the rail around our table.  Overall very annoying for $55pp extra.  We asked to be moved and they did find another table more on the inside area.  But beware and make sure you get a table where you can at least have a dinner conversation.

• Like 1