What has changed?

It's been a couple of years since I have cruised so I'm wondering what changes I have missed. Sailing on the Triumph in a few weeks out of New Orleans. I was surprised to find that whole "check in time" thing. Being Platinum, I'm used to boarding with no issues around noon but now my "check in" is 1:30. I understand it's because Triumph is going into dry dock soon and they are getting the jump on some renovations. Next, I read an article about Carnival charging for Room Service which they quickly changed back to not charging but it's got me worried what HAS changed since I last cruised? And any comments about changes on the ship from recent Triumph cruisers appreciated as well!

As platinum, that check in time assignment has no relevance for you, come as early as you want.  And it has nothing to do with the pending drydock.  It is to try to control the crowds that tens to gather as soon as the doors open...EM

• Like 1

I think you're pretty well caught up.  All ships have the assigned boarding times now, but as a platinum you won't have to worry about it.  Well, there have been some price increases with the auto-tips and gratuities added to the Cheers and Bottomless Bubbles program as well as individually ordered drinks.

• Thanks 1

Afternoon tea is still included but a specialty tea bag will now set you back $2.95. The ship's tenders are now being referred to as shuttles. When a cruise has X number of plats and diamonds you will not have early access to your cabin due to the labor pressure on housekeeping. The room service menu, for now, is complimentary except between 10pm and (I think) 5am. Also, there are now some menu items that come at a cost any time of day. Carnival will now deliver a pizza to you for a $5 fee to your cabin and on select ships (for now.) You can use the Hub App to have a pizza delivered to you anywhere on the ship, again, for a $5 fee. The pizza itself is still included in your basic cruise fare.

Welcome Back to Carnival.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Thanks 1

You can no longer take soft drinks aboard in your checked luggage, they must be in your carryon, we found this out the hard way, they took them away from us. (something that is perfectly legal to  take on board) I think it's a terrible policy, it's really hard for older people to try to carry all this in their carry on bags.. Carnival is not nearly as customer friendly as they used to be.

• Thanks 1

Pack your patience for going on Triumph. We found that guests aren’t allowed into the terminal until noon, regardless of parking in the garage. We waited, standing outside on the pavement. Boarding began at 1:30 and was frantic. Memorable, but not in a good way.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, all. By the time I found out about the new "check in" process, first available was 1:30. That really doesn't concern me since we will be spending the night in New Orleans but I did prefer to get there when I wanted and to zip through with my Platinum privileges. That said, I was cruising with about 10 friends one year and I and my cabin mate were the only platinum. We got into our Priority Line and proceeded to watch all our other friends board the boat about 15 minutes before we did!

10 minutes ago, Magic City Cruiser said:

Thanks, all. By the time I found out about the new "check in" process, first available was 1:30. That really doesn't concern me since we will be spending the night in New Orleans but I did prefer to get there when I wanted and to zip through with my Platinum privileges. That said, I was cruising with about 10 friends one year and I and my cabin mate were the only platinum. We got into our Priority Line and proceeded to watch all our other friends board the boat about 15 minutes before we did!

As Platinum you can arrive when you want regardless of your assigned time.

Edited by sanmarcosman

On 1/11/2019 at 3:33 PM, douglinc@msn.com said:

You can no longer take soft drinks aboard in your checked luggage, they must be in your carryon, we found this out the hard way, they took them away from us. (something that is perfectly legal to  take on board) I think it's a terrible policy, it's really hard for older people to try to carry all this in their carry on bags.. Carnival is not nearly as customer friendly as they used to be.

Unfortunately, you can blame your fellow passengers for that policy change due to too much smuggled booze.

Look at it this way: add the price of Bottomless Bubbles to your cruise fare.  No need to carry on soft drinks.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:42 AM, Essiesmom said:

As platinum, that check in time assignment has no relevance for you, come as early as you want.  And it has nothing to do with the pending drydock.  It is to try to control the crowds that tens to gather as soon as the doors open...EM

JUST an FYI, I just got my letter from Carnival:

Dear Carnival Triumph Guests,

We will be boarding later than usual for your cruise due to the loading and offloading of materials that will be taking place. 

Due to terminal capacity limitations, all guests (including Diamond, Platinum, Faster to the Fun and Suites) who arrive earlier than their Arrival Appointment will be asked to return at their assigned time.