WIFI.......how much !!!

arsenalboy

I know this topic has been done to death.

Sailing the Silhouette for 14 days in Baltic in May, I cannot believe the cost of the wifi package which is £226 (290USD) unlimited for one device.

We sailed with Celebrity in the Med 2 years ago and just checked what we paid for the same package and it was £125 (160USD). This is nearly 100% increase when we all know that communication costs are falling.

I am a senior who will take an ipad for "housekeeping" purposes i.e., emails, bank transfers and sending the odd photo back home to the kids, barely 10 mins a day, probably 2 hours max for the whole cruise. This works out at circa £115 per hour (145 USD)  :classic_ohmy::classic_ohmy:

I do not want to spend precious shore time seeking free internet so what are my options? Can I pay as I go on board?

The rate you quote is prior to discounting.    You can usually get a 25% discount on one of the sales.   Also if you are 

Elite or above you will receive 

Elite -  90 Minutes Free or 30% Discount

Elite+  240 Min Free or 35%

If this doesn't work for you budget you could hold off your internet work until in port.   Most terminals and many restaurants have free Wifi.   Other options are they have a Daily rate(49.00 and hourly (19.99) rate which are expensive but much less expensive as your calculation.   Finally many phone companies in the U.S. e.g. T-Mobile offer free internet roaming almost in every country around the world while on shore. 

Sailed Dec 23-Jan 6. Received unlimited for 2 weeks as a perk. Although it was nice to have, I would  have been annoyed if I had actually purchased it. Found it quite slow and often outgoing mail/pictures were not able to be sent. 

16 hours ago, arsenalboy said:

I know this topic has been done to death.

Sailing the Silhouette for 14 days in Baltic in May, I cannot believe the cost of the wifi package which is £226 (290USD) unlimited for one device.

We sailed with Celebrity in the Med 2 years ago and just checked what we paid for the same package and it was £125 (160USD). This is nearly 100% increase when we all know that communication costs are falling.

I am a senior who will take an ipad for "housekeeping" purposes i.e., emails, bank transfers and sending the odd photo back home to the kids, barely 10 mins a day, probably 2 hours max for the whole cruise. This works out at circa £115 per hour (145 USD)  :classic_ohmy::classic_ohmy:

I do not want to spend precious shore time seeking free internet so what are my options? Can I pay as I go on board?

I agree the wifi is very slow.  If you are going to use it on the ship, then get unlimited on one of their sales.  I prefer to do this because I don't want to spend my time at the ports searching for free wifi.