US/NZ/AU Money Exchange

NAJNLA

Any suggestions on the best place to exchange US dollars for local money to use on shore excursions and miscellaneous purchases in New Zealand and Australia?

There are ATMs as well as currency exchange places in the airports. I'd suggest using credit cards as much as possible for purchases, as you'll get the best business exchange rate of the day on the day your purchase goes through.

You'll also get the best exchange rate (although not the business exchange rate, I think) from the ATMs, even if there is an ATM fee.

The currency exchange places almost all have a fee of some kind, or discount the rate if they claim to have "no fee".

ATMs are plentiful in New Zealand, at least, and I'd assume the same for Australia. Most of the time places like airports and port facilities have ATMs readily available, and we never had any problem using them with US based cards.

Do remember, though, to tell your bank and credit card company(ies) that you will be out of the country and to expect charges from where ever you are going to be going. We did have an experience of our VISA card provider "protecting" us and refusing charges a couple of years ago when we forgot to phone them ahead of time. It got straightened out when we phoned them, but it did create a bit of embarassment at the time.

Archived