Change booking to travel agent?

CMDE

I had booked a Christmas cruise (with cancellation insurance) with a travel agent who was very helpful, but I had to cancel it. I just booked another cruise today online - and I just read on cruisecritic that I can transfer it to a travel agent. Should I do that? Are there any pluses/minuses in doing that?

Unless you absolutely have to have control over your booking, a good travel agent is always a bonus IMHO.  I have always received some perks that the cruise line has not offered through a TA.

Edited by Scrapnana

18 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

Unless you absolutely have to have control over your booking, a good travel agent is always a bonus IMHO.  I have always received some perks that the cruise line has not offered through a TA.

I agree completely.  There is nothing to lose and much to gain by employing a TA - and it doesn't have to be the same each cruise.

harry

We stopped using our brick&mortar TA because we got absolutely nothing from them. Even after a number of cruises, both that they booked and that we had transferred to them after booking. Barely a thank you.

So, hopefully your experience will be better. I see a lot here use online/phone TAs that they contact ahead of time for rebates and reduced fares. Never hurts to shop around.

And remember that you have up until final payment date to transfer a booking. Although we usually would do that a week or so before final payment.

10 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

As long as my TA continues to give me a10-12% cash discount I’m more than happy.   No cruise line in-house PCC has been able to match them

Your kidding right?. A travel agent earns commission ranging from 10 % for an inside to 16% for a suite.

how can he afford to give you 10 to 12% as discount?

7 minutes ago, drsel said:

Your kidding right?. A travel agent earns commission ranging from 10 % for an inside to 16% for a suite.

how can he afford to give you 10 to 12% as discount?

Very serious. Been with my present TA since 2011 and the lowest rebate I’ve gotten is 10%.   I’ve booked seven cruises with her and never had an issue with her, her agency, or the cruise line.   We do book upper suites.

Edited by Randyk47
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, wyobean said:

We have an upcoming cruise with an inside cabin. Got a 6.5% OBC from our big box TA.

Our previous TA used to give cash discounts but because of pressure on discounters from the mass market lines like Holland America and Celebrity they went to OBCs.  It was still a good deal but then a fellow cruiser turned me on to our present TA back in 2011.  Since we concurrently started cruising on all-inclusive lines the cash discount is more attractive than the OBC.  There are a number here who use the same or similar TA to book their cruises with great success.  I will be up front that booking through a TA, discount or full service, is not for everybody.   I fully understand some here have an established and good relationship with their cruise line in-house PCC.  Nothing wrong with that.   For us, especially when we went away from what had been our typical annual Caribbean cruise and started cruising more distant itineraries, it was more than worth it to seek out better bottom line costs.   We once had a good HAL PCC but he honestly admitted he could not match or beat our external TA.   

• Like 1