Waving of Napkins??

leerathje

I'm a country bumpkin and just clapped for the chefs and then told our server and assistant server thank you and gave them envelopes with cash (and a note saying thank you and that the cash was in addition to the gratuities I did through my stateroom).  I hope they let me sail again, even with the napkin-clapping  faux pas.

• Haha 1

Watching this last night staff recognition tradition evolve over the last 10 years, I think I can say there is no slippery slope to increasing antics. Just the opposite - they have gone from an elaborate special menu ending with sparklers on the Baked Alaska parade, with crew acts between courses (who can forget the juggling salad bowls) to now almost a non-event.

How or why this evolved (or devolved) over the past 10 years is unknown - passenger protests, staff protests ......any one have inside information? Fun the first time we saw it, but it felt more and more awkward as time went by.

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Watching this last night staff recognition tradition evolve over the last 10 years, I think I can say there is no slippery slope to increasing antics. Just the opposite - they have gone from an elaborate special menu ending with sparklers on the Baked Alaska parade, with crew acts between courses (who can forget the juggling salad bowls) to now almost a non-event.

How or why this evolved (or devolved) over the past 10 years is unknown - passenger protests, staff protests ......any one have inside information? Fun the first time we saw it, but it felt more and more awkward as time went by.

No inside information, but I'm gonna guess.

In times past, people didn't cruise repeatedly, as they do nowadays.  Seeing the same "show" over and over again just gets weird and, as you said, awkward.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seavoyage said:

We do too - That's when they had actual candles on the tables and sparklers on the Baked Alaska - The Good 'OL Days

Sparklers? Candles? Flaming desserts? That's CRAZY! Thank goodness calmer heads prevailed and we only have rock walls, zip lines and bungee jumps on ships today. I remember mourning the casualties from the Great Bananas Foster Tragedy of  '02. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Sparklers? Candles? Flaming desserts? That's CRAZY! Thank goodness calmer heads prevailed and we only have rock walls, zip lines and bungee jumps on ships today. I remember mourning the casualties from the Great Bananas Foster Tragedy of  '02. 

Baked Alaska anyone? :classic_cool:

Picture 1149.jpg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, POA1 said:

That's some serious DANGER there. I still miss flaming desserts. Of course, I died from bubonic napkins years ago. 

I told you not to put someone else's used sparklers in your nose, mouth or eyes. But you wouldn't listen. :classic_ninja:

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

And who can forget this one around ten years ago? Forgot what they called it or who came up with it, but it involved juggling plastic fruit, singing and dancing

IMG_9729.JPG

I think it was part of the "Master Chef Dinner." 

Uh, oh. Forgot they gave us chef's hats to wear that night too.  They wanted it to be fun and our younger waiter was quite excited about what was coming next. The older one was more sanguine. 

Edited by OlsSalt

6 minutes ago, Terre said:

Agree...we have never liked practice.  Can't imagine what kind of germs are flying around and landing on your unfinished meal!

Flying germs?  As opposed to the ones sitting on the hand rails, elevator buttons, bathroom doors, etc?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Terre said:

Agree...we have never liked practice.  Can't imagine what kind of germs are flying around and landing on your unfinished meal!

That is why God gave you a precious immune system and a liver - to isolate, detoxify and destroy any stray flying object coming off waved napkins.  

• Like 1